BDAG - A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, 3rd edition
AUTHOR: Danker, Frederick William; Bauer, Walter
AVAILABILITY: Immediate download and unlock of module
PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS: The Standard for Bible Colleges and Seminaries for Greek classes
Described as an "invaluable reference work" (Classical Philology) and "a tool indispensable for the study of early Christian literature" (Religious Studies Review) in its previous edition, this new updated American edition of Walter Bauer's Wörterbuch zu den Schriften des Neuen Testaments builds on its predecessor's staggering deposit of extraordinary erudition relating to Greek literature from all periods. Including entries for many more words, the new edition also lists more than 25,000 additional references to classical, intertestamental, Early Christian, and modern literature.
In this edition, Frederick W. Danker's broad knowledge of Greco-Roman literature, as well as papyri and epigraphs, provides a more panoramic view of the world of Jesus and the New Testament. Danker has also introduced a more consistent mode of reference citation, and has provided a composite list of abbreviations to facilitate easy access to this wealth of information.
Perhaps the single most important lexical innovation of Danker's edition is its inclusion of extended definitions for Greek terms. For instance, a key meaning of "episkopos" was defined in the second American edition as overseer; Danker defines it as "one who has the responsibility of safeguarding or seeing to it that something is done in the correct way, guardian." Such extended definitions give a fuller sense of the word in question, which will help avoid both anachronisms and confusion among users of the lexicon who may not be native speakers of English.
Danker's edition of Bauer's Wörterbuch will be an indispensable guide for Biblical and classical scholars, ministers, seminarians, and translators.
Quotes from reviewers
“So buy BDAG (sell your car if necessary!) and learn to use it. You will not regret your purchase.”
Rodney J. Decker, M.Div., Th.M., Th.D., Assoc. Professor of New Testament Baptist Bible Seminary, Clarks Summit, PA
“It goes without saying that all scholars and students of early Christianity will profit from BDAG and will want to own a copy of this fine new edition.”
Review of Biblical Literature, October 2002 by John T. Fitzgerald, University of Miami
“It is without doubt the best tool of its kind that exists in any language, and the present edition is decidedly superior to the earlier ones.”
Bryn Mawr Classical Review, June 2001 by Jerker Blomqvist, Department of Classics, Lund University
Features of the electronic version for theWord
- Verse references, abbreviations and references linked for immediate lookup
- Fully searchable text, including all Greek and Hebrew words
- Definitions properly aligned in indented lists using the visual markers of the print edition for easy navigation and grouping
- Careful representation of all Greek/Hebrew with unicode standards for easy copying/referencing
SAMPLES (click to see):
Instructions for getting your unlock key will be emailed to the
email address you provide at the Paypal page.
Please, read below for more information.
- Once you click on the Buy now button you will be redirected to a secure (SSL encrypted) page at Paypal to complete your transaction.
- You can make your purchase using any major credit card, Paypal or an eCheck. Notice that for all 3 payment methods, the Paypal Service is used.
You don't need to have or create a Paypal account to use your credit card.
- Once you finish with your payment, you will be redirected back to theWord site where you will get instructions on how you will download
the module and get your personal unlock key. Notice that instructions will be sent by email to the email address you will provide at Paypal.
- You may use your credit card no matter what currency it is issued in (e.g. US dollars, Euro).
Check conversion rates for other currencies.
- Payments are processed via Paypal.
- You don't need a Paypal account to use your credit card. Paypal is just used as a payment gateway that processes the online transaction.
- Your credit card data is not stored on this site. Your credit card data is given to a secure (SSL) site at Paypal that processes the transaction on behalf of theWord.
Each module you buy is licensed for use by you and your immediate family in one or more PCs that you own.
The unlock key (which will be emailed to you after your purchase) is personal and is associated with your full name and email.
The modules that you purchase here are only licensed for and compatible with theWord Bible software.
Since these modules are encrypted, you will not be able to use
them with any other software or outside of theWord.
Once you receive your unlock data, no refund can be given.
Please, ensure that the module(s) you wish to purchase meet your expectations.
If you are unsure or need more information, you may
with your questions.
Download latest version
Browse module library
Check the forums
Visit the Guestbook
Enter your email to be notified for updates on program and modules
Is it safe to give you my email?
The latest version of theWord is 184.108.40.2062.
Find out how you can check what version you are using
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which [is] in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38,39)