running under Linux with two users

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
Theophilus

running under Linux with two users

Post by Theophilus »

Hi, I want to install the Word with Wine under Kubuntu 10.04. It should be used by two or more users. They should share the bibels and books, but the personal notes etc. should be different. How can I reach this target?
For wine creates for each user an own virtual c-directory, I could install the word for each user seperately. But it's redundant and in case of updates, I have to update it for every user. The bibles & books are not the problem - I can put them in a common directory. But can I do the same with "the word.exe"? Can I invoke the programm with parameters (path or user or config.sys)?
mathetes

Re: running under Linux with two users

Post by mathetes »

I haven't tried this specifically but it should work. Move the .wine folder from the users directory where it was installed to some place else such as /usr/local/.wine and give full rights for the directory to each user. Create a link from the new location to each user's home directory. Whenever a new user executes a wine program a new profile directory should be created for that user in .wine/drive_c/windows/profiles and should keep the different configurations for The Word for each user separate as long as you install using the regular install method and not the compact install. All the bibles, etc., should be automatically installed in the "All Users" profile in the profiles directory.
Theophilus

Post by Theophilus »

Hi mathetes, thank you for responding.
I tried that way before, but the problem is that The Word uses a folder called "The Word" - and Linux seems not to like blanks in folder-names.
Can I tell "The Word" to use another folder, e.g. "TheWord"?
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

When you install it just change the name when it asks where it should install it.
Theophilus

Post by Theophilus »

Can You tell me in which file "The Word" stores the user-data, like which vers was invoked last etc.?
Theophilus

Post by Theophilus »

I got it!
Here's the way I found:
1.) install TheWord for User 1 (not in compact mode)
2.) remove the folder .wine/drive_c/programms/The Word to ./opt/The Word
3.) put all the books and bibels you want to share in .../The Word /bibels resp. .../books
4.) give all rights to that folders
5.) create a link from ./opt/The Word to .wine/drive_c/programms/
6.) delete the folders .wine/drive_c/public/Anwendungsdaten/The Word/bibels & books
7.) When it starts, TheWord will install the bibels from the new directory

8.) Install TheWord for User 2 (not in compact mode)
9.) Delete the folder .wine/drive_c/programms/The Word and replace it with a link to ./opt/The Word
10.) delete the folders .wine/drive_c/public/Anwendungsdaten/The Word/bibels & books