theWord on Pardus 2011 using Wine

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
Freebird

theWord on Pardus 2011 using Wine

Post by Freebird »

Has anyone tried to run theWord in Wine on Pardus 2011?
I have Wine 1.3.13 installed on Pardus 2011 32bit.
I used the wine installer to install theWord to C:/.
It placed a desktop icon and shows up in the start menu.
The splash screen runs smooth as it loads and initializes.
Then it suddenly just disappears!
I really love this o/s and hope to make theWord run smooth in it.
eSword runs fine after adding a .dll file to system32 folder. (mfc42.dll)
Could it be a missing .dll?
Any idea what is missing here?
Thanks for any suggestions.
edit:Actually, I would really love to run it outside of Wine but I have no idea if this can be done.
Also, I've done standard install, compact install, and USB install.
Same behavior either way.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: theWord on Pardus 2011 using Wine

Post by csterg »

No, it's not a .dll
Can you get me a VM of Pardus 2011?
Costas
Freebird

Post by Freebird »

Just running through right now but I'll try to get on that this evening.
Pardus is most definitely a rising star that you'll be hearing much more about in the future.
Thank you for your fast response, Costas.
Freebird

Post by Freebird »

Sorry not to have gotten back on this yet.
Been a busy week.
I've spent the evening looking at this once more and the results are mixed. :(
I'm running Pardus 2011 32bit, a Linux distribution.
I've installed WINE 1.3.13 as an emulator for running Windows programs.
Installation of "theWord" went without a hitch.
Start-up didn't do so well. It would load and initialize but would not render the User Interface.
I found that going into the settings for WINE (winecfg) I could set theWord to run as if in Windows ME or 98 mode and it would finally start-up. It would NOT run in any other mode, Win 7, VISA, 2000, etc..
After starting I played with fonts to get a better look. I used DejaVu serif and increased font size using my keyboard Control +/- to get a good view.
theWord rendered a little slow when loading but ran well once loaded.
Pop-up and Bible tree fonts could be better but were usable.
Most everything I tried seemed to work well.
Major problem: When shutting theWord down it gives an error message saying WINE did not shut it down correctly.
It disappears so you think there's nothing to worry about.
However, running a process viewer such as Htop shows that not only did theWord not shut down but there is now two added process entries now running for a total of three.
Also, the CPU runs at 100%. :(
Opening a new instance of theWord and closing it down will now leave you with 6 instances running. This will not work at all.
This is without a doubt a problem with WINE. I will try to search WINE forums to see what I can find.
I've noticed that requests for Bible programs to Pardus has not received much attention. It really is the most polished Linux distro I've ever seen and I like it well but this is enough to send me to Ubuntu or some other distro where I hear theWord runs well.
Hopefully one day either WINE will run theWord without a hiccup or perhaps theWord will be designed under the hood for Linux. :wink:
I am unwaveringly moving from the control and expense of Windows and I expect to see a huge increase in others doing the same in the near future.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Freebird wrote:Sorry not to have gotten back on this yet.
Been a busy week.
I've spent the evening looking at this once more and the results are mixed. :(
I'm running Pardus 2011 32bit, a Linux distribution.
I've installed WINE 1.3.13 as an emulator for running Windows programs.
Installation of "theWord" went without a hitch.
Start-up didn't do so well. It would load and initialize but would not render the User Interface.
I found that going into the settings for WINE (winecfg) I could set theWord to run as if in Windows ME or 98 mode and it would finally start-up. It would NOT run in any other mode, Win 7, VISA, 2000, etc..
After starting I played with fonts to get a better look. I used DejaVu serif and increased font size using my keyboard Control +/- to get a good view.
theWord rendered a little slow when loading but ran well once loaded.
Pop-up and Bible tree fonts could be better but were usable.
Most everything I tried seemed to work well.
Major problem: When shutting theWord down it gives an error message saying WINE did not shut it down correctly.
It disappears so you think there's nothing to worry about.
However, running a process viewer such as Htop shows that not only did theWord not shut down but there is now two added process entries now running for a total of three.
Also, the CPU runs at 100%. :(
Opening a new instance of theWord and closing it down will now leave you with 6 instances running. This will not work at all.
This is without a doubt a problem with WINE. I will try to search WINE forums to see what I can find.
I've noticed that requests for Bible programs to Pardus has not received much attention. It really is the most polished Linux distro I've ever seen and I like it well but this is enough to send me to Ubuntu or some other distro where I hear theWord runs well.
Hopefully one day either WINE will run theWord without a hiccup or perhaps theWord will be designed under the hood for Linux. :wink:
I am unwaveringly moving from the control and expense of Windows and I expect to see a huge increase in others doing the same in the near future.
Thank you Freebird for the feedback;
The issue with wine is that it's not very stable; i mean they try to fix something and they break something else; I would expect that theWord (and any other program) would have the same behavior under the same version of wine on different distros, but this is not the case, and it is strange indeed. If you can get me a VM with Pardus i can give it a try myself in case i can fix it,
Costa
redgee34

Post by redgee34 »

I have installed it on the latest version of Linux (on a laptop - IBM Thinkpad T42 - yeh its old but it was free ) without any problems, however on my tower box it was running a few weeks ago then I tried today. Something has upset it? I have updated the Ubu-software and Wine and still no go. It starts up, shows everything, tries to show all modules and ask's for auto update options, then locks and nothing can be accessed with mouse or keyboard controls.
ahsan
therapon

Post by therapon »

Is it possible there's a message window "hiding" behind the main window? If that happens, the main window loses focus and you can't get it back. The solution is to move the main window to the side so you can close the other one. A couple scenarios: if you double click a floating window TW thinks you want to maximize it, throws up the warning that goes behind the main window. Another one: open the print preview then click anywhere on the main window; the preview will "hide" until you can switch to it and close it.

therapon
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Two points - Wine really is quite stable. I have no idea why you are using 1.3. The current stsble version is 1.62 and the current beta is 1.76. Personally I run 1.76 and have no issues. When I was on 1.62 again I had no issues. My current box is Ubuntu Studio 14.10. I switched from Linux Mint 17 for audio recording issues.

You might want to take a look at winehg.com. Wine 1.62, even though I am not familiar with Pardus, should work fine for you - and then you should have no issues with TW. I've been running TW under various flavors of Linus for quite awhile now.

Darrel