TW links in Bible modules (rtf format)

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
csterg
Site Admin

TW links in Bible modules (rtf format)

Post by csterg »

This is a small tutorial of how to make Bible links in RTF (the format used mostly for non-Bible modules).
The information applies to people that build manually modules with RTF (TW provides many more ways to auto-detect verse references in the modules itself.

A link in rtf takes the form:

Code: Select all

{\field{\*\fldinst{HYPERLINK "[THIS-IS-THE-TARGET]"}}{\fldrslt [LINKED-TEXT]}}
This is equivalent with the html link:

<a href="[THIS-IS-THE-TARGET">[LINKED-TEXT]</a>
Let me give an example:
In html:

<a href="http://www.theword.gr">The Word Site</a>
In RTF:

{\field{\*\fldinst{HYPERLINK "http://www.theword.gr"}}{\fldrslt The Word Site}}
Having said this, the only thing i need to explain is the exact format of the target that TW recognizes. After that, you are able to link to everything you want (for now i will only describe links to Bible passages, but in TW you can have links to other modules as well, to specific topics, commentary entries, etc).

Links to verses
The main format is:

tw://[bible.][<module name>|*]?id=b1.c1.v1[-b2.c2.v2]
Notes:
What is between brackets can be ommited.
The "|" means OR.
Current version is a bit restrictive, next will be more flexible.

So, let me give examples:

tw://bible.*?id=1.1.1 -> Genesis 1:1
tw://bible.*?id=40.1.1 -> Mt 1:1 (Matthew is book number 40)
tw://bible.*?id=1.1.1-1.1.2 -> Gen. 1:1-2 (notice that the ending verse must be fully defined, e.g. 1.1.2)
The new build will be more flexible in the following areas:

1. The * can be replaced by a module, e.g. tw://bible.darby?id=1.1.1 -> Gen 1:1 from the Darby translation. If not present the default will be used
2. tw://*?id=1.1.1 -> Gen. 1:1 (the word "bible" is the default, can be ommited)
3. tw://*?id=1.1.1-2 -> Gen 1:1-2 (the ending verse can be specified partly, e.g. only 2 and not 1.1.2)
4. tw://*?id=1.1.1-1.1 -> Gen 1:1-Ex 1:1 (the ending book can be ommited)
5. tw://*?id=1.1 -> Gen 1 (verse can be ommited, the whole chapter is assumed)
But thinks can get simpler than this. You can ask TW to try to parse the [LINKED-TEXT] directly and find out what is the verse reference you refer to.
For example, you want to make a link to Gen 1:1 but you also want the linked text to be "Gen 1:1" (this is the mose usual case). So, you can write:

{\field{\*\fldinst{HYPERLINK}}{\fldrslt Gen 1:1-2}}
Notice that in that case you don't specify the TARGET at all. TW will try to parse the actual [LINKED-TEXT] (in that case "Gen 1:1-2") and automatically guess what is the verse reference. Maybe this is the simpler way...

One more case that is very interesting:
TW allows you to specify only the [TARGET] and let it create the verse reference text. For example:

{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://bible.*?id=10.3.4"}{\fldrslt\cf2 [vref]}}
Notice that in this URL, you specify the target (2Sam 3:4 - 2Sam=10th book) but instead of writing the actual [LINKED-TEXT] you specify [vref]. This means that TW will automatically create the verse reference (e.g. 2Sam. 3:4) and display it. The advantage with this technique is that TW will create the verse reference text in the current language! So, if the user uses Greek or German, he will see the link with the Greek or German book names and conventions.

The last 2 cases are of course restrictive, in the sense that you cannot have a different [LINKED TEXT]. The first case is more generic.

If all the above seem confusing, just take the case that you feel more comfortable with and go ahead.

Hope this helps and is clear,
Costas
johannes

Post by johannes »

Thanks for these good explanations!

Just one question: Which of these cases has the best processing performance?

I mean if you don't specify the target and let TW parse the link text (case 2) it would probably took slightly longer than when defining the target directly (case 1)?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thanks Johannes,

Well, parsing the verse reference as text requires more processing (and there can be cases where the parsing produces incorrect results, but this is very rare).
The parsing of the verse text relies heavily on regular expressions, combined with some algorithms to make it clever...

But the processing itself is too "small" to be considered. Just to give an idea, the gradient painting of the captions of the views probably requires more cpu than the parsing of the verse texts. This should be of no concern at all. Remember also that the parsing only occurs when the mouse moves over, so the parsing time is too small (anyway, there is a pause before the ToolTip window comes up anyway).

Costas
aaron

Post by aaron »

Costas,
Can I make a link in a .rtf document (1 topic_id within a .twm module) to different place within the same document? One that TW will recognize.
Aaron
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Dear Aaron,
yes, this is possible (not with current build, with the new one).

Check this post http://forum.theword.gr/viewtopic.php?p=1755#1755

Tell me if you have more questions (these refer to newer build, not yet public, sorry)

Costas
aaron

Post by aaron »

Hello,
This may be a ridiculous question but I'm stuck on it.

{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://bible.*?id=10.3.4"}{\fldrslt\cf2 [vref]}}
is that how the actual code would be for 2Sam 3:4 ? When I use that code the link works but the Linked Text is "verf"

aaron
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

That's correct.
What version do you use?
Costas

P.S. You don't need the \cf2 actually
aaron

Post by aaron »

I got the same "[vref]" Linked Text for both ver. 300622 and 300623. Also Costas, I noticed that while the link worked; CTRL-Backspace got no reaction (ver 300623).
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Mail me your .twm file pls.
Costas