Creating Dictionary Liddel and Scott/Thayers

Ideas and suggestions about new features
Douglas

Creating Dictionary Liddel and Scott/Thayers

Post by Douglas »

Is there anyone that could help with some programming in order to combine two dictionary modules into one? After working for months on getting the text of the Liddel and Scott Greek Lexicon (it is enormous) and I am delighted to say that we have it. Costas assisted in the final work of converting it from excel into TW. However, there are some things that have yet to be done, in my opinion to make it fully operational. Here is part of the conversation I had with Costas about it.

[Doug]
Here are some things that I would still like to see it do, however. In the definitions, there are a lot of abbreviations to names, books and such. Those names are all found in the about data. Is there any way to make the module so that when I put my mouse over an abbreviated word it will show me the word fully written out? E.G.

ἀάβακτοι· ἀβλαβεῖς, Hsch. ; cf. ἀάβηκτον· μέλαν, ἀβλαβές, Et.Gud. ( -βυκτον Cyr. )

The words highlighted have the full words in another section. Is it possible to make a tooltip come up with those definitions?

[Costas]

Concerning the issue with the abbreviations: it could be done but it’s not easy. Technically it is feasible and simple –nothing new. The issue is with parsing the data. Theoretically, this could be automated with a simple search and replace within the text file. But it needs work. One needs to verify that this search and replace is accurate. I could send you the instructions to do this if you would like. I suppose one can do it quite easily if he spends some time with it. I already spent about 4-5 hours to fix it properly, it would take me another few hours to do this (if not more).

[end]

Can anyone lend us a hand? Having Liddell and Scott is incredible from a language study point of view, but the module needs more to function optimally. I don't have sufficient IT skills to do it.

Blessings,

Doug
Douglas Hamp
Glory to God in the highest!