KJV+TVM Is there a legal module for theWord?

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
Kristofer

Re: KJV+TVM Is there a legal module for theWord?

Post by Kristofer »

By the way, have you noticed many actual defects in the Strong's numbering system? Do you mean that some of the reference tools that link to Strong's #s are not always accurate because the individual reference tool made an error? or that it is an error inherent in the Strong's numbering system itself? I can imagine that some reference tools creators may have made a few errors here and there, but I figure the Strong's #s themselves have been around for a while, and I figure by now, it must be pretty accurate, given the large number of publishers of works that are keyed to it.

Are the deficiencies that you refer to just inadequacies in giving exhaustive information or actual false information?
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

It's not that the Strong's information is false but more that it doesn't give complete information. This is why there is also the Goodrick-Kohlenberger numbering system and why the translator of the Apostolic Bible Polyglot added numbers to expand Strong's numbering even for the New Testament. Strong would group several different words under one number. To use the Westminster Bible module you would need to know something about reading Hebrew. You can read more about Strong's numbers on the Westminster website at http://www.grovescenter.org/blogs/kirk/?p=212
Kristofer

Post by Kristofer »

Looks like a lot of the strong's numbers are missing from the Apologist's polyglot in theWord, too. A comparison with e-Sword's version shows that.
Kristofer

Post by Kristofer »

I saw what you meant about Strong's, but I don't think that is Strong's fault, but rather the ones who put Strong's numbering system into the KJV+ or other versions. But I see what you mean if you are referring to the KJV+ module on e-Sword. I compared it to the Polyglot and the Byz+ and I could see that the KJV+ leaves out in one passage the indefinite article before the proper names that is present in the Byzantine text, whereas the Polyglot has a Strong's # there for those as well as the names. The KJV+ and the Polyglot both leave out way too many strong's numbers. It is not the same as the Strong's versions available on e-Sword. It's too bad, because theWord has a much better interface. I guess I will just read my books and learn Greek and eventually invest in a powerful expensive program like BibleWorks8. I can add commentaries and dictionaries now through their partner site. There are a lot of modules available for it if you combine those both. I wonder if the modules from their partner site are fully integrated into the program, or if they are just a read-only type of file. Sorry for talking about another program on here. I hope that's not bad.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Strong numbers is a system that tried to assign a number to the root of each word. It's a system more than 100 years old and, although good enough, it's quite outdated. But it's popular and ... people still use it (and of course it surely covers the needs of most).
Actually, the main thing it helps with is to locate all the words with the same root. You will notice that modern dictionaries (like BDAG, HALOT, etc) do not use strong's for mapping words. Actually, the WHM maps words tot the HALOT dictionary.

Moreover, it's much safer to use the lemma info in the modules to locate same-root words than Strong numbers anyway.

So, i go back to my original question and say: try to concentrate on specific queries you want to do and NOT to the Strong number as the means. This may be more helpful than you need. As mathetes said, some knowledge of the original languages is indeed necessary to do 'real work'. I am afraid that if you don't go that way, the most you can say with Strong numbers is that 'this word appears X times in that book',

Of course, another use of Strong is to create links between words and dictionary entries, but this is better done using the original language modules. This is why some mods have more or less strong numbers...
Costas
Teksun

Post by Teksun »

csterg wrote: Well, if this may help you:
to be honest, the KJV+TVM is not that useful according to me. The TVM part is only 'trimmed down' information from the Morphology codes that accompany several NT Greek texts. So, as i am concerned, it's not really worth the effort.
Concerning OT: there is no free OT morphology, but there is the WHM you can get for a fee which includes full Hebrew parsing information and allows you to do complex searches on the morphology.
Very soon a free Hebrew OT with Strong numbers, xlit and glosses will be added for free in the library (it's actually ready to publish, just need some time to get it up)

If you try to describe what you are trying to achieve, probably you will get answers on how to do it with the tools already available for free.
Costas
Did this ever happen? I am looking for this but can't seem to find it.
Ezra 7:10
לִדְרֹ֛ושׁ To Study/Follow
וְלַעֲשֹׂ֑ת and to do
וּלְלַמֵּ֥ד and to teach
Tyndale Theological Seminary & Biblical Institute
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

HiSB ?
Teksun

Post by Teksun »

Ah yes I see that now. Sorry to dig up an old post.

I was trying also to add my own parse info to WLC. I figured out how to make it appear but not to make it a hover link. Like RMAC: "Qal perfect 3ms of "the word" w/consec w/art w/prep; Lemma"

Found it would be rather time consuming to say the least.
Ezra 7:10
לִדְרֹ֛ושׁ To Study/Follow
וְלַעֲשֹׂ֑ת and to do
וּלְלַמֵּ֥ד and to teach
Tyndale Theological Seminary & Biblical Institute