Transfering the Word program from one computer to another

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
patbefaithful2z

Transfering the Word program from one computer to another

Post by patbefaithful2z »

What is the process when I get another computer and want to transfer The Word Bible from my old computer to the new? When I have experimented in the past and tried to do this I have ended up losing all my personal Bible preferences, Bible view options, defining my module sets, etc.. This happened once by mistake and I had to start all over. It took a couple month to get it back to the way I had it. Can someone tell me step by step what to do. I prefer not to start all over since I have put years of work into my present The Word Bible program. Thank you very much.

Pat
Jeff

Re: Transfering the Word program from one computer to anothe

Post by Jeff »

If you can, just keep everything on your old computer the way it is and just copy files from it until you get theWord up and running the way you want on your new computer. If something goes wrong you have the files on your old computer to copy again if you need to start over.

Look at, and backup, where all your files are under Help>About>File locations. I would especially make sure you get the configuration file, I think it's config.ini, or save anything that look like a configuration file.

When I moved to Linux I just put each folder or file listed under the file locations in one folder on my home directory, where I don't need special privileges, and when running the installation told it to run in Compact mode and install into the same folder. Now if I have to change computers or operating systems I can just have one whole folder to move. I don't know if it's the recommended way, but for me it worked out well, though you may have to unlock your premium modules.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
patbefaithful2z

Re: Transfering the Word program from one computer to anothe

Post by patbefaithful2z »

Jeff wrote:If you can, just keep everything on your old computer the way it is and just copy files from it until you get theWord up and running the way you want on your new computer. If something goes wrong you have the files on your old computer to copy again if you need to start over.

Look at, and backup, where all your files are under Help>About>File locations. I would especially make sure you get the configuration file, I think it's config.ini, or save anything that look like a configuration file.

When I moved to Linux I just put each folder or file listed under the file locations in one folder on my home directory, where I don't need special privileges, and when running the installation told it to run in Compact mode and install into the same folder. Now if I have to change computers or operating systems I can just have one whole folder to move. I don't know if it's the recommended way, but for me it worked out well, though you may have to unlock your premium modules.
Thanks Jeff,

Going to the file location I was able to recover my personalizes folders.
What do you mean when speaking about configuration files? Also, can you tell me where I go in the files to be able to restore my past settings and Bible preferences? What is "Sqlite3.dll Application extension?
One more question...When you transfer the files to another computer, is the first thing you do is install the Word program by clicking "The Word Application"?