Clipboard Monitor in W10 Preview

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
Eric

Re: theWord 5 is released!

Post by Eric »

English.
JG

Post by JG »

Well without being on your computer it is difficult to know what to suggest.
You could try installing the build that does work(as you have the installer) to a new folder test2 (on the desktop) to see if it works from there. So that would mean similar instructions to viewtopic.php?p=34457#p34457
If it works copy theword.exe and english.lng file from your test folder and overwrite the ones in the test2 folder, and see if running again from the test2 folder works.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

Eric wrote:I did as you said. I ran the test version and clipboard monitoring still does not work.
Works fine for me with Win-7 and TW 5.0.0.1450.

Note that I haven't used clipboard monitoring all that much. It does seem to behave a bit differently that I recall from years ago. When I just select the reference (highlight with mouse), nothing happens. When I Ctrl^C with a reference selected, it works fine with a popup showing. Maybe that has been how it always worked (?), but I vaguely remember you didn't need to do the Ctrl^C in earlier versions. Or not?

2 Pet 3:8

If it would help, I can supply a confirming screen-shot.
Eric

Post by Eric »

I have tried everything including uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. The only thing that works for me was to go back to version 4.0.0.1342. I never tried the newer versions on Windows 7 so I do not know if they work there.

Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview has a lot of bugs that need to be fixed and that is probably why I'm having these problems. For the most part, Windows 10 appears to be really good if Microsoft can solve the pesky bugs and problems with various software programs. One of my favorite screen savers totally crashes Windows each time it starts to run. It ran perfectly in Windows 7.

Therefore, until there is a new update of Windows 10, I am going to stop testing the newer versions of theWord.

However, I appreciate all of the replies and thoughtful attempts to help me. Thanks and God bless.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

l_d_allan wrote: Note that I haven't used clipboard monitoring all that much. It does seem to behave a bit differently that I recall from years ago. When I just select the reference (highlight with mouse), nothing happens. When I Ctrl^C with a reference selected, it works fine with a popup showing. Maybe that has been how it always worked (?), but I vaguely remember you didn't need to do the Ctrl^C in earlier versions. Or not?

2 Pet 3:8
Of course Costas or Jon or someone could answer better. But as far as I can remember it has always been a clipboard monitor, meaning something had to be placed on the clipboard to be recognized. I don't know if text can be placed on the clipboard just by highlighting on some systems or not, or maybe some setting that allows you to do that? You have me curious though.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
JG

Re: Clipboard Monitor in W10 Preview

Post by JG »

I think this needed to be put as a topic here, so that anyone else running the Windows 10 preview can say if the Clipboard Monitor is working or not.
It works for me with all builds of theWord. I don't have any other 3rd party software installed on it.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

Eric wrote:Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview has a lot of bugs that need to be fixed
Agree. I've been distressed at so many problems ... show stoppers imo ... that are still around this close to RTM (release to manufacturing).

It does seem like the issue may be tendencies to have conflict if you have a moderate to significant number of non-Microsoft, programs installed. It may be that those programs aren't complete compatible with Win-10.

Also note that "clipboard monitoring" is working fine for me ... just tested with a very "vanilla" installation of Win-10-10130 + TW Build 5.0.0.1450.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Just thought that I would update you since I just installed Windows 10 build 10158 on my computer. This preview has corrected many bugs and added some new features.

However, I just tried theWord version 5.0.0.1450 again and clipboard monitoring still does not work for me. I then reinstalled 4.0.0.1342 and clipboard monitoring works fine.

I'll let you know what happens when I get the next build of Windows 10.
JG

Post by JG »

Windows 10 build 10158 on my computer, CM works fine, no problem.

I suggest you look at Antivirus software you have installed. Check its "history of actions"(whatever it might be called) to see if it has blocked clipboard access for theword.
For an example see this thread. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroo ... td-p/21588

What Antivirus do you have installed? I will try it myself.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

It really sounds strange that W10 has broken something so basic. I agree with Jon, see if an AV blocks access.