"Select all" does not work within Find field

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
ErikJon

"Select all" does not work within Find field

Post by ErikJon »

In bookview, if I have a dialog box open for "find and replace" or "find", and there is leftover text from a previous search, oftentimes it is not highlighted automatically, but only manually. If I quickly use CTRL+A to select all this text in the field alone, and then delete it, instead, all the text of my bookview window is selected and deleted. If I happen to click in another window without realizing what has happened, bookview saves the changes automatically, and my module is ruined. Of course, the only reason I perform this operation so haphazardly is that I am accustomed to doing it in all other programs, to the point that I don't pause to inspect each step of the process.

1. Suggestion: activate CTRL+A within "search and replace" and "search".
2. Allow all leftover text to be pre-selected.
3. Allow the user the option of disabling "automatic save" in bookview windows. It is often a helpful feature, but there is also great risk involved.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: "Select all" does not work within Find field

Post by csterg »

1. I am not sure i understand the 'left-over' text use case
2. The 'CTRL+A' issue selecting the text in the Bible view is unfortunately a hard one to resolve (even harder to explain why).
3. Automatic saving is a thing that everyone expects: how about CTRL+Z to undo operations?
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Yes, by "leftover text" I mean the text that may automatically appear in the field whenever the "find" window is invoked. For examle, if I search for "love" and later I search for "divine," the word "love" still appears in the field from the previous search, as "left-over text." (I may have coined the expression, but it is not yet copyright, so you may feel free to use it. Ha ha)

I think that all "left-over text" should be pre-selected whenever the "find" or "find and replace" windows are invoked, so that the user can simply begin typing without first having to select the text in the field. Perhaps this would preclude the need for repairing the "select all" issue, since all of the text would already be selected.

As for saving the text in our user modules automatically, I agree, it is a very useful function, in general.

I guess that my real complaint is that we cannot "undo," once we leave the bookview window. Changes are saved and permanent! If you gave us the option of undo (or better, multiple undos) EVEN when the changes have been saved, this would be a great help. I have already lost lots of information, in different situations, and recovered it only by finding copies of the original module on the hard drive, all because TW will not allow me to "undo" or "multiple undo" after the changes are AUTOMATICALLY saved when I move the cursor to another window.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

The 'Find' dialog is initialized with the selected text. This is standard behavior in windows programs. I see that when this happens, the text is pre-selected. I find the behavior correct.

Concerning the saving: It is hard to do this. Each topic is actually a different 'document' (imagine each topic being an MS Word document). When you click on another topic, i need to do something with it: what else than to automatically save it???? Believe me, the hard part is to make sure that it is always saved.

now, once you load another topic it is as if you had a doc in MS Word, closed MS Word and re-opened it with another doc: you would never expect the CTRL+Z to work with the previous document, would you?
Costas
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

O.K. I understand now.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Oh, sorry. I never noticed that the text coincided with any word that I had happened to select before invoking the window. So it is not "left-over text" at all, but rather currently-selected text. Sorry. I know that I have had some old programs, however, where the field was filled with text from a previous search, although not necessarily the same type of dialog box, so I assumed that this was standard behavior even now. Sorry.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

One less bug to worry about :)
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

I'll try to find another one, to make up for this mistake of mine.