"Importer Tool" built 0.99.2.26 - 22 July 2007

From here you can check the latest version of the software and related apps (e.g. Importer utillity). New add-on modules will be announced here also (Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, etc)
csterg
Site Admin

"Importer Tool" built 0.99.2.26 - 22 July 2007

Post by csterg »

A critical error in the importer tool may have caused the deletion of arbitrary files from the hard disk. This new version fixes this issue. It is suggested that everyone that uses the importer tool update to the latest release to avoid any data loss.

The problem occured if the user tried to import a Zefania XML module or an Unbound Bible module that was compressed in .zip format, and the .zip file was corrupted. Although this case was not reported by anyone, it is possible to happen.

The new version of the importer tool completely removes the code that could produce such a disastrous error and replaces it with much safer code that will not delete any files, no matter how bad it fails.

You can download the new version from here: http://www.theword.gr/bin/get.php/setup ... porter.exe

Make sure you have the latest version by checking the caption of the window: it should read "... ver 0.99.2.26"

Other new features of the importer:
- Augmented the "Convert UTF8 to ansii CP" utillity to auto-detect the codepage of the ansii file to be converted
- Added a new function "Apply chapter headings to .ont file" in the "Utils" tab that allows the merging of chapter headings in an existing Bible file
- Fixed incorrect extension in the resulting Bible file when converting Zefania XML modules that contained apocrypha

Costas

(follows message in Greek):
Ένα σημαντικό πρόβλημα στο εργαλείο Importer tool μπορεί να προκαλέσει την διαγραφή αρχείων από το σκληρό σας δίσκο. Το πρόβλημα αυτό εμφανίζεται κάτω από πολύ ειδικές συνθήκες και συγκεκριμένα αν προσπαθήσετε να μετατρέψετε συμπιεσμένα αρχεία .zip της μορφής "Zefania XML" ή "Unbound Bible" και τα συγκεκριμένα .zip αρχεία είναι προβληματικά/χαλασμένα.

Η νέα έκδοση του εργαλείου διορθώνει το πρόβλημα και απομακρύνει τελείως τον σχετικό κώδικα που θα μπορούσε να προκαλέσει οτιδήποτε παρόμοιο σε περίπτωση άλλου σφάλματος.

Μπορείτε να κατεβάσετε τη νέα έκδοση από εδώ: http://www.theword.gr/bin/get.php/setup ... porter.exe

Σιγουρευτείτε ότι έχετε την τελευταία έκδοση ελέγχοντας τον τίτλο του παραθύρου. Βεβαιωθείτε ότι γράφει "... ver 0.99.2.26"
coords

Importer Tool

Post by coords »

Costas

I must have been the first person to have had this happen to me because it almost wiped my whole drive, if I had not switched the PC off. I was trying to convert the VW Scriptures when it happened. Just so you and others who have the older version know, your but is real and will delete data!

God bless
Garth
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Sorry to hear that.
Of course it is real (and disastrous), it also deleted my disk (the one i had all development code of TW); so i know first-hand how bad it is.

But there are many tools to get your data back easily; Tell me if you need any help.
Costas
coords

Post by coords »

Thanks for the offer Costas, but this happened some time ago, and the damage has already been repaired. The data I lost was only software which I reinstalled. I just wanted to post to let people know that this problem is for real since I experienced it first hand! LOL.

Garth