THE WORD REVIEW

From here you can check the latest version of the software and related apps (e.g. Importer utillity). New add-on modules will be announced here also (Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, etc)
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

Nice! I think we may be the first freeware program to have this lexicon. The only other Bible program I know that has the full version is Logos, although theirs also has the 1996 updates.
JG

Post by JG »

Comments for the Liddell and Scott.
Too many words!
Jon
csterg
Site Admin

Re: problems with the program

Post by csterg »

gennesse wrote: 2: In the greek subjects I see a lot of square boxes in stead of the right font/character I think.
This is also a font problem.
By default, in WinXP the Arial font does not have these greek characters. But the Tahoma does.
I thought i was using Tahoma, but unfortunately there is the wrong font there.

Solutions:
1. Wait for the next build
2. Open the 'english.lng' file (or whatever language you use), locate the section [TFmBookView] and add the following:

Code: Select all

[TFmBookView]
fmTopics.vt.Font.Name='Tahoma'
edtTopics.Font.Name='Tahoma'
If the [TFmBookView] section is not there, just add it. If it is there, just add the 2 lines below it.
This will not fix the font in the drop-down of the topics combo box, but will fix the others.
3. You may install the unicode arial font (i think comes with MS Office, so if you have it installed it should work as is). I think MS does allow a separate download of these, but i am not sure.

Obviously i didn't see this issue because i have office installed...

Costas
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Let me add that the production of this dictionary was made by the help of Doug and Johannes. I just contributed some directions and fixed some minor issues along the way.

Costas
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

JG wrote:Comments for the Liddell and Scott.
Too many words!
Jon
What do you mean?
JG

Post by JG »

csterg wrote:
Too many words!
Jon
What do you mean?
Hi Costas,
116,000 entries for Greek words when there are only fewer than 6000 in the Bible, 110,000 too many entries.
Just an observation.
Jon
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

JG wrote:
csterg wrote:
Too many words!
Jon
What do you mean?
Hi Costas,
116,000 entries for Greek words when there are only fewer than 6000 in the Bible, 110,000 too many entries.
Just an observation.
Jon
OK, i didn't write the dictionary so i am not to blame :)
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

csterg wrote:
JG wrote:
csterg wrote:
Too many words!
Jon
What do you mean?
Hi Costas,
Just an observation.
Jon
OK, i didn't write the dictionary so i am not to blame :)
Hi Jon,

Well, I guess too many is a matter of opinion. I hope that the incredible value of Liddell and Scott will become apparent. There are far more words in Greek than what are in the NT. L&S is the complete lexicon of all classical Greek literature which allows a Bible researcher much more in depth information that what one could get from just using Strong's or Thayers.

Blessings,

Doug
Douglas Hamp
Glory to God in the highest!
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

Don't forget that it includes the words from the septuagint also.

What would a person need to do to add Strong's numbers to the entries and be able to use it as a lexicon?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

_david_ wrote:Don't forget that it includes the words from the septuagint also.

What would a person need to do to add Strong's numbers to the entries and be able to use it as a lexicon?
First of all:
if you click on a word in any greek Bible (e.g. LXX), then L&S will jump to this entry (i think there is a bug there in 690 that may prevent this, i am not sure: latest works for sure).
But of course, the problem is that most often the word being clicked is not exactly the same (i don't mean diacritics, these are already ignored). I mean that L&S has the root of the word where a module has the word in many other forms (and it's not easy to find automatically the root in Greek, as is in English).

Now, L&S is a superset of strong dictionaries, so what you ask needs thought. What do you have in mind?
One way would be to link each word in a module (e.g. LXX) to L&S. Thus, you have a module called "LXX-linked2-L&S". So, when you click or hover over any word of the Bible text you would get the L&S entry (without any other indices in the text itself). Other than that, what else do you have in mind?

Costsa
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

How about the Greek language gets changed so it doesn't have all those forms. :) Might be easier to learn then too!

What I was wondering was if a person could add in the Strong's numbers so that when the number is clicked the relevant entry would show up. I know it would probably take a good bit of manual work to insert them but would that be feasible and how would one go about doing it?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

_david_ wrote:How about the Greek language gets changed so it doesn't have all those forms. :) Might be easier to learn then too!
Well, this has been happening for many years now (modern Greek gets simpler and simpler), but it's still ... Greek.
What I was wondering was if a person could add in the Strong's numbers so that when the number is clicked the relevant entry would show up. I know it would probably take a good bit of manual work to insert them but would that be feasible and how would one go about doing it?
[/quote]
The issue is that L&S has more entries than the available strong numbers. What would you do?
Costas
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

If possible I'd think about putting the Strong's numbers with the entries they go with and leave the rest without a number. But since I know nothing about how the modules are made I don't know if that would be feasible.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

_david_ wrote:If possible I'd think about putting the Strong's numbers with the entries they go with and leave the rest without a number. But since I know nothing about how the modules are made I don't know if that would be feasible.
OK, this is doable.
At the end of a topic you can add the strong number (e.g. in paranthesis). The module will be properly marked when you click on a strong index and it has this entry.
You need latest build (721) for it (previous ignored words with numbers inside, but i added them in order to be able to search the strong indices).
Costas
Threepea

Re: THE WORD REVIEW

Post by Threepea »

tonydowden wrote: I have just stumbled across the following site - http://www.fostertribe.org/biblesoftware.html

I'm sure Costa and everybody else will be delighted to see that out of 15 packages reviewed The Word has come second!
I've added 5 more packages to the review list since that time, bringing the total number of reviewed packages to 20. The Word is still 2nd. :)

tonydowden wrote: This is despite the fact that many of the recent additions by Costas were not there when the review was written, and these cover most of the negatives mentioned. If the review was re-written with the current version there is no doubt The Word would be top!
Yes, but all the other Bible software providers are constantly updating their packages at the same time, right? :roll: It's a never-ending cycle. So, the best practice from a review standpoint is to take each package and review it just as it is at that moment in time. Then all the packages can be reviewed consistently over time and compared to each other. Otherwise the reviews would be modified constantly and would never be done. This leads to uncertainty and an inconsistency, because you never know what the reviews will look like one day to the next.

The best case scenario would be to let the reviews provide whatever value they may have for a couple years, then do it all over again with a Round 2. That allows you to see the progression of each product, but still keep the consistency and comparisons you are looking for. Now, that being said, I can't say that Round 2 is going to come from me. It took me nearly a year to do what I did, and I am burned out! Not only that, but it was a bit expensive, since I purchased every non-free package with my own money (I didn't want anyone to be able to accuse me of being swayed by a publisher).

In any case, we all know what a great program The Word is, heh?

God bless.

Jerry