List of TW Modules Under Construction

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
JCV

List of TW Modules Under Construction

Post by JCV »

All,

There is a Google Docs document listing TW modules currently under construction. The purpose of this list is to inform people wishing to create a new module of what's already being worked on by others.

The process to make effective use of the list is the following:

1. Before starting work on a new module go to the document (link below) and check to make sure no one else is already working on the same module.

2. If no one is, then please send me a message (via PM) with the information required to list your module.

3. I will enter the information in the document since as the moderator of this only I have write access.

4. Once you complete the module, let me know so I can move the module out of the work-in-progress (WIP) list.

5. If there is a Forum topic related to the module you are working on, please also send the topic link so I can include that in the list.

Link to Google Doc listing WIP modules:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CPK6rOUM

List of Fields in Spreadsheet (with examples)
1. Item No. {1}
2. Type: {Commentary}
3. Module Title: {Commentary on the Epistle to the Galatians}
4. Description: {Commentary on the Epistle to the Galatians (1535) by Martin Luther, Translated by Theodore Graebner}
5. Source: {Project Wittenberg}
6. Authors: {Martin Luther}
7. Publication Date: {1535}
8. Language: {English}
9. Owner: (JCV}
10. Target Date: {Dec 15 2010}
11. Forum Topic: {http://forum.theword.gr/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1805}
12. Comments: {Any comments you like}
Last edited by JCV on Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DarrelW

Re: List of TW Modules Under Construction

Post by DarrelW »

I sure think it would be cool to put a dummy sheet on this page listing the items you need from us, then we can copy that into an editor, fill in the information and send that to you via pm. I have a hard time remembering all the fields unless I write them down first. Just a thought.

Darrel
JCV

Post by JCV »

Darrel,

Great idea - I'll edit the post above and add the list of fields.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Juan
miken

Post by miken »

Juan - what a great idea!
It may be a long time before I am able to contribute anything to it -
- however this communication is surely very helpful to everyone, and I hope it gets known about - both spotted and used - very quickly and very much.

I guess the little icon on the index page, to the left of this thread title, indicates that this is a 'sticky' thread and will stay positioned at the top of the list? Certainly it should be so.

Well done, Juan!
And well added, Darrel, for your 'template' suggestion for info input!
:D
miken

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
EDITED:
I have just found the discussion that led to this Googledocs creation, and JCV's involvement - in Comments and Suggestions /
thread: Project Clearing Board, started by Darrel: http://forum.theword.gr/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2420
I still think it is great - and so shall leave my comments above, unchanged, for the record!

Now I add: 'Great original idea, Darrel, and great update!'
And: 'Well done JCV for taking on the update/maintenance, so it did not fall to Costas ...!' -
Now I hope you have a lot of work to do, Juan! (and I mean that in the nicest possible way... :lol: )
God bless.
Last edited by miken on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miken

Post by miken »

Hey Mr JCV maintenance-man... 8)
Here you go...

A very small thought from visting the Googledoc in its present form:
I will guess you will adjust some column dimensions as you see the need according to input; here is one suggestion for right now.

'Source' column:
- I just tried copying the URL's there - and I cannot easily get them. The parts not showing...
I can get them with 'treble-click' to select a whole line - but not with just 'click' and drag highlighting.

Suggestion to help 'all' users:
  • 1) It would help if the column were wider - enough to take 'short' url's
    But - sometimes there may be quite long URL's. ... so:

2) Add wordwrap to the column.
    If this is 'as well as wider' for the relatively-shorter URL's to go in one line, then where there is more than one url in an entry (as this example) the url's are less likely to get visually confused together.

With wordwrap, it will still copy-paste and work directly in a browser as long as the wrapping doesn't add copiable 'breaks' into the url.
    I guess if it does add hidden copiable breaks, most people will know how to get 'em out again if it doesn't paste right or function right...

'Comments' column:
- Looking ahead, this is very sensibly placed as the last column - both a logical positioning, and - it has the possibility of becoming quite wide without upsetting the table.
  • If for example 2-3 people add comments to a module line /or need to interact/- and each has something more than a few words to say - then a narrow column would become quite a 'tall' entry... whereas 'quite wide' will be no problem.
    Again - that column would need wordwrap/linewrap to enable all to be seen, if a line of text entered is longer than even a wider column.

God bless - and may you enjoy this great service!
Mike (miken)
JCV

Post by JCV »

miken,

Done. - Juan
miken

Post by miken »

Juan -
Sorry - still a problem.
Maybe this is a browser difference, a screen difference (pixel resolution? screensize?), or even an operating system difference (? - I have WinXP_SP2) - but what I now get on the Source column is:
Ist URL clearly visible - no problem there.
2nd URL visible up to 'index' ...
- ie: seems to be http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/ecf/index (though the 'x' is only 2/3 visible)
And this is what I would copy if I used a left-button 'click-drag' to 'visual-highlight' for copy-pasting.

But whole URL found with 'treble-click' is in fact:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/ecf/index[b].htm[/b] (emphasis added)
So - I do not see the '.htm' and in this particular case I could logically believe 'index' was the last element of the link.
However, my browser will not get the result for this apparent link: - try it<;
- I get a 'Not Found' splash page, and I imagine you too.

Checking: Is 'wordwrap' or 'linewrap' already enabled? Then it is not reflecting the '.htm' ending that is offscreen for me...
Sorry Juan -
miken
miken

Post by miken »

Maybe another way to get this (but only for url's - not for other 'hidden' texts/line lengths):

If the url can be active/hyperlink in the googledoc, a mouse-over/right-click should give options for going there directly, in a new tab, window... - or copying location to clipboard, etc.
- ie. normal link options, and would work on mouse-over regardless of how much of it is showing.
No longer a line-length problem.

Does a standard 'return' put at the end of the url, within the cell, turn it into the hyperlink - as within MS Word and Excel - and carry through the googledoc to the end-users?
sttomasmore

Post by sttomasmore »

Can someone - a moderator - make a sticky topic that stays at the top of the thread-heap, which directs us to a place listing all modules extant and those which are in the works, together with some options for the later allowing brief indication of progress ?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I am afraid this shared excel is not used from module creators.
I don't know if it is a good idea to pursue it,
Costas