How to translate 'The Word' in your language?

For translators. Undertake the job to translate to your language, report translation errors here. Co-ordinate with other working on a translation of the program.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Any korean version work

Post by csterg »

loyal wrote:Greetings,
I just cam across this work. I been working on a html-javascript bible for 15 years now. There was nothing free that supported asian languages then. I thought I might look at how to do Korean as my wife is korean and I work part time with a korean church. So I have the resources! Korean sometimes is difficult to get working because its like Thai Consonat clustered with vowel. Does the word support korean? If I can figure out how to take html into the format I have about 1 gig of texts in n Thai Korean and English.
Hello loyal, and sorry for the delayed answered; i missed that; Yes, theWord should work with Korean. There is already a korean Bible i think: can you check it?
Costas
nikolay_l

Re: How to translate 'The Word' in your language?

Post by nikolay_l »

Приветствую всех.
На русский язык перевод есть в моем исполнении (Лихушин Николай / Lickhushin Nikolay)
http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3305932
На сайт его не выкладывайте иначе программу удалят с треккера
Будет обидно. У нас о ней итак мало кто знает.
Можете сделать ссылку на треккер со страницы http://www.theword.net/index.php?downlo ... &l=english
«Мыши плакали, кололись, но продолжали жрать кактус»
Bible Study Boy

Post by Bible Study Boy »

I love this software and think it is amazing that so many people will be able to translate into their own language. Awesome, keep up the good work guys.
judepriyantha

Post by judepriyantha »

Please Note I will be doing the Sinhalese translation for the TW in Sri lankan Language.
csterg wrote:TW is translatable (theoretically) in every language (even in Unicode-only langs). There is no support for right-to-left alignment so if you translate in such a language (e.g. Arabic or Hebrew), not everything will be mirrored, but this is something usually 'acceptable'.

Instructions
1. Thank you for your interest, this is a great service you can offer!
2. Check that the language you want to translate to does not already exist!. Below is a list of languages currently being translated, progress status, etc. If you want to get in an unfinished (or half finished) translation, pls do so. If you want to help a translator (e.g. share work), please express your interest here.
3. Download and read the instructions here. Make sure you can undertake this project yourself. If you are not sure, ask for help on this forum or search for answers to your questions.
4. Before starting, post a new thread here to inform everyone that you are starting the translation so that no duplicate work is being done.
5. Install the latest version of TW by downloading from the main site. In the installation folder you will find the english.lng file.

You should use the english.lng file as a template. Please, open it and verify that near the top you see the line version=3.0.0.xxx-x (the version here may not match exactly with the version of the program, but it will certainly be close enough).

Language -> translator
Greek -> Manolis M.
German -> Hartmut P.
Dutch -> Halbe J.
Portuguese -> Ericson S.
Spanish INT -> Julio B.
Spanish ES -> Ruben G.
Arabic -> John
Bulgarian -> Ognyan I.
Chinese -> William H.
Slovak -> Peter M.
Italian -> Roberto L.
Polish -> Darek D.
Albanian -> Ilirian G.
French -> Philippe C.
Finnish -> Teijo
Catalan -> Carles M.
Hungarian -> Laszlo B.
Thai -> Choat
Sinhalese (Sri Lankan) -> Jude. P

Version 2 translations with no support at this moment to be upgraded to ver. 3
Latvian
Romanian
Tamil

Costas
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Hi,
This is regarding the translation of The Word in Hindi language. How do I let other know about it so that either help me in translation or will not do the ducplicate work. Please pray for the workd.
Jonathan
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Jonathan wrote:Hi,
This is regarding the translation of The Word in Hindi language. How do I let other know about it so that either help me in translation or will not do the ducplicate work. Please pray for the workd.
Jonathan
Jonathan, please send me an email to 'root at theword dot net' with your full name so i have it in record (and your email)
Costas
zah

Romanian translation redy

Post by zah »

The romanian.lng file for The Word is ready. You can download this file for having the menu in romanian.
Moe Tamasese

Post by Moe Tamasese »

I am working on a Concordance to the Samoan Bible. Do I need to translate the TW Program into Samoan before I am able to use it to do word search for a Samoan concordance? If so, would my limited tech knowledge be a hindrance. Will I have technical assistance to translate the program?

Thanks and God bless
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

No, you don't neet to translate the interface language in Samoan to support any Samoan resource,
Costas
Godwithus

Post by Godwithus »

Yesterday I heard from Brother David Wei (@Weihana Moderator of Chinese forum board) about theWord software, which is an excellent bible app tool. But the Chinese translation of the tool is not complete.

I'd like to have chance to participate to this work. Actually, I am in the group of Youversion4Chinese group, which is to tranlate and support Youversion Bible App into Chinese. I think the group has the experience to do this and is willing to help.

Personally, I studied a little about OSIS, E-Sword project and other topics. I built a website for Chinese bible search too, to help locate bible verse from topic (keywords).

I checked the list and found that the Chinese translation is already assigned to a group "Chinese -> William H.".

So that I write here only to know what is needed and what I can do.

thanks

Michael HUO
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Michael,
thank you for your message. It's great to see that you can help out with Chinese, which is a quite difficult language. Now, the current version of theWord is translated in Chinese. Have you identified areas that can be augmented? Do you have something else in mind concerning resources?
Costas
Godwithus

Post by Godwithus »

csterg wrote:Hello Michael,
thank you for your message. It's great to see that you can help out with Chinese, which is a quite difficult language. Now, the current version of theWord is translated in Chinese. Have you identified areas that can be augmented? Do you have something else in mind concerning resources?
Costas
Hi Costas,

Sorry for the late, for I have to wait for David to give me the lng files.
Now I found that two parts need to be translated.
1) File-Preferences-Advanced
2) Tool-bible View Options

As u can see from the attached figure. Parts remains English, another part changed to the third language.

In addition, the zh_CN translation of several terms is not consistent with Chinese mainland translation, just following Taiwan's translation.

I guest, the problem comes from your update of software versions. I think it would be easier for us to translate the language files if you could outline which items from the language configuration file have been updated/added since the original Chinese language file was finished.

By the way, since (Chinese -> William H.) is responsible for Chinese translation and you assume the part is finished. Please tell me what to do next. Maybe you just tell him about the changes and he can update the language file quickly.

thanks

best wishes

Michael
Attachments
theword.png
theword.png (49.63 KiB) Viewed 12538 times
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi Michael,
if you open the chinese lng file you will notice at the top the version number that says 3.0.5.874-43.
The first part (the 3.0.5.874) corresponds to the english.lng file against which they were translated. For your convenience, i attach here this version of the english.lng file.
The easiest way to find out what has change from this file to the current is to use a diff program (i use KDiff3 myself).
Let's say you want to update the translation for the current published version (3.2.1.1167): you will take the english.lng version corresponding to this version and you compare it with the english.lng version 3.0.5.874 with KDiff3: this will give you all the places that these 2 files differ: so you will know the exact places that you will need to update the chinese lng files.

This is exactly what i do myself if i want to update a language file (well, the Greek one is the only non-english i could anyway).

Please, tell me if you need more help,
Costas

P.S. I suggest that you update the files for this version. Very soon a new version will come out but it's better to wait a bit. If you want thought, check the beta section (http://theword.net/files/beta) to get the latest english.lng files from there and work on these directly)
Attachments
english-3.0.5.874.lng.zip
(47.7 KiB) Downloaded 666 times
Godwithus

Post by Godwithus »

Hi Costas,
Thank you very much for your great suggestions.
Now I have setup the translation environment on my mediawiki website.

theWord:english http://godwithus.cn/wiki/TheWord:english
theWord:chineseSimp http://godwithus.cn/wiki/TheWord:chineseSimp
theWord:diff http://godwithus.cn/wiki/TheWord:diff

I will try to working on the beta version. Currently I changed some Taiwan traditional expression into Chinese mainlan.

I am also a volunteer of Youversion too. They are using myGengo to translate. I think myGengo strings is a good and free tool. But it only support limited automatic import of strings, e.g., ini, php etc. I cannot treat your lng file as one of the supported file types. The best one should be ini format, but it use ";" instead of "#" for comments and does not support string name such as "vt.Header.Columns.(0).Text".

Nonetheless, I am working on translation of your new ChineseSimp.lng file with notepadd++ and update the wiki contents.

If you have some comments or suggestions please tell me.

thanks

Michael

csterg wrote:Hi Michael,
if you open the chinese lng file you will notice at the top the version number that says 3.0.5.874-43.
The first part (the 3.0.5.874) corresponds to the english.lng file against which they were translated. For your convenience, i attach here this version of the english.lng file.
The easiest way to find out what has change from this file to the current is to use a diff program (i use KDiff3 myself).
Let's say you want to update the translation for the current published version (3.2.1.1167): you will take the english.lng version corresponding to this version and you compare it with the english.lng version 3.0.5.874 with KDiff3: this will give you all the places that these 2 files differ: so you will know the exact places that you will need to update the chinese lng files.

This is exactly what i do myself if i want to update a language file (well, the Greek one is the only non-english i could anyway).

Please, tell me if you need more help,
Costas

P.S. I suggest that you update the files for this version. Very soon a new version will come out but it's better to wait a bit. If you want thought, check the beta section (http://theword.net/files/beta) to get the latest english.lng files from there and work on these directly)
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thanks Michael, sounds good.