Just installed El Capitan 10.11 Word will no longer load.

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
P.GregH

Just installed El Capitan 10.11 Word will no longer load.

Post by P.GregH »

I just installed El Capitan 10.11 & Word will no longer load. I tried going to Apple (nothing there) & XQuartz.
I have installed the latest update from XQuartz 2.7.4 installer. I am using an IMac late 2012.
I am not sure what to do next. Thx
pastorwynn

Re: Just installed El Capitan 10.11 Word will no longer load

Post by pastorwynn »

Likewise, the same has happened to me. I am running a MBP (Late 2008) with El Capitan OS X. TheWord will not open.

Hopefully, a solution will be found soon. TheWord is my sole Bible program..
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I can't really help, but i am thinking out loud here: sounds like a wine issue
Costas
EkkyBoy

Post by EkkyBoy »

I have the same problem. I had it as well when I updated to Yosemite. I tried the Yosemite solution but that didn't seem to work. Any one who can help it would be greatly appreciated.
crumhorn

Post by crumhorn »

I just downloaded WineBottlerCombo_1.7.37.1. After setting it up and running Wine I started theWord. It took a couple of minutes but it's running. I haven't put it through its paces just yet, but last night it wouldn't start at all with a previous wine version (1.4.1). So far the only difference is that I have to quit by going to File then Exit, where before I could use shortcut keys. But it opens and if that is the only issue I face then I'm happy.
sjmcdonald6

Post by sjmcdonald6 »

Thank you for the Winebottlercombo suggestion. I went to http://winebottler.kronenberg.org and downloaded just the "wine.app" and replaced the old file with the new and it works now. The "wine.app" was located in the "Resources" folder. In order to get to that I had to "view contents" of the TheWord.app

Its not exactly the same. It behaves a little different, but I was worried I had lost all my personal notes. They are all there, but now I realize that I need to learn how to backup the User Modules and Personal Notes I've created.
EkkyBoy

Post by EkkyBoy »

I can now run the Word on El Capitan after installing the newest version of Wine Bottler :) But even when I download the Word 5 and install it, it still defaults to version 4. I'm just happy I can use the program again
fokneel

Post by fokneel »

Hello Everyone,
I also upgraded to El Capitan from Yosemite and can no longer open theWord. Can one of you who have had success post a step by step process you used? What to delete and what to download and how to put it in the right place. I and others like me would be very grateful.
I am wondering if I should delete the app and wine bother etc. (not the hundreds of books) and start from scratch.

I have a macbook pro 2010.

Blessings to all

Frank
P.GregH

Post by P.GregH »

sjmcdonald6

Thanks for the post...it worked by dragging the wine app into applications... We are Back! Thanks a lot for the helpful post.

P.Greg
fokneel

Post by fokneel »

Ok so after fiddling around and being unlearned, I somehow deleted "everything" by mistake. I just re dowloaded the word apps and it can't find any of my modules which I apparently deleted. Can anyone help me in how to re-download "paid" apps like the NIV and NASB bundles?

Thanks

Frank
JG

Post by JG »

Use the built-in downloader (Add titles on main menu) of theWord to download them again.

Your keys will be in the emails that were sent to you at the time of purchase. If you lost them you can get them again via the link
http://www.theword.net/recover
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
fokneel

Post by fokneel »

This is what I see in finder. I only downloaded "wine" as an earlier post suggested. Do I need wine bottler?

Thanks
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 8.54.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 8.54.24 AM.png (48.71 KiB) Viewed 6976 times
Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 8.50.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 8.50.41 AM.png (74.75 KiB) Viewed 6976 times
JG

Post by JG »

Did you see my post above? I thought you might have missed it as we posted at similar times.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet