Dual Instances (Compact Mode) and Dual Monitors

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
JG

Re: Dual Instances (Compact Mode) and Dual Monitors

Post by JG »

Please can you provide a screen shot and a bit more detail of where you mean.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
kenyanguy

Post by kenyanguy »

Sorry, can't get any screen shots unless I do a video. I've tried again and it works fine. I'm operating both the 3.2.1.1187 and 3.2.1.1283 versions. Could these affect any operations of the program? I appreciate. If anything, I'll be sure to contact.
davidcoxmex

Post by davidcoxmex »

Hi guys,

Actually I am not following this line of thought. If you want more than one instance why? You can open multiple BibleView windows and BookView windows, and you can link/syncronize any combination of BibleView windows, and although this is quite cumbersome on a single monitor computer, a multiple monitor computer makes a great set up. You can also make module set layouts to only see part of your library in any BookView window.

Having said that, I would add that personally I have about 8-9 USB installations of theWord. This is because I make modules, work between Spanish and English, and I post these to my website (twmodules.com). That being the case, there are good reasons to use these USB installations. The key here, is that once you have installed the USB installation of TW, you just copy the entire folder to make a new install.

Let me just show you what I have for TW USB installations.

1. General work USB install. This is where I have everything I have downloaded from all sites. It has about 2,000 modules that I am working through. Many of these are duplicates of what are already done.
2. Regular install on hard disk/registry (some installer packs are going to install a new module there, so it is there for them).
3. post modules TW - this is so that I can quickly see only the modules that are on (or should be on) my website. Questions arise, I need to redo something in module, etc. That being the case, I don't want an "old version" of the module, but the same version/actual module as what is on the website. Nothing else is there in that install.
4. ditto above but for my Spanish website.
5. An install for my personal writings, books I write. This is also my creation install for Spanish modules.
6. An "empty" TW USB Install. When producing modules, I often get "caught" in making the installer exe because the module doesn't have the using internal fonts option chosen. So when I compile 20-100 modules at a time, it can be time consuming and laborious to actually copy them back to a work folder and just try to find what I was working on. So this empty TW USB is for quickly copying the entire "batch" I am working to upload, so I can quickly go through them. This is another problem that I have. When I constantly make new modules or download them from the Internet, I don't want them to mix with my other modules, and this changes from one day to the next. Some get uploaded to the site, new modules are made, etc. So I have solved this problem by just making another TW USB Install.
7. In production of a module, I have probably 40-50 "steps" that I do to the module, finding author information, assigning a TW identifier, etc. One of those steps is to copy the file to my MySword folder so that it can be processed there into MySword. Some of these steps occasionally "need" work, for example, in MySword, I need to uncompress all the modules. To do this I have a TW USB install.
8. e-Sword transfer install. Again this is a dedicated TW install that is where my TW modules are copied to (I use batch files to sort, copy, and move modules at various points in the production process), so later when I want to copy and paste from TW to e-Sword, I open the TW in that folder, and what it sees is everything waiting for transfer to e-Sword.
9. I am writing a Commentary in Spanish on the entire Bible. This is a tremendous task, and I am not getting much done. So I have a TW USB install just for this purpose. I copy commentary modules into this folder, and whenever I want to work on it, I run that, and everything is just as I left it.

Additionally, I make new TW USB installs "on the fly" when I need them. Most of the time, I want to keep separate these installations, because the modules are different and because I am constantly adding to these installs, I don't want issues with having to find or separate somehow new modules.

A couple of points I would remind you guys of when using this:

1) Once you make a TW USB install, (think like 5) and then open them all, they all will look the same, and you will get confused. Once you make a new install, change the skin so the color will be different. That helps you visually identify what is what. For example, my hard disk/registry install is a dark blue skin, and my Spanish USB is orange. My production work in English is pink. Another is red. etc.

2) TW will recurse all sub-folders in startup, so use that. If you want to make a group of modules and keep them separate (for later copying) DON'T DUMP THEM IN WITH OTHER MODULES. Make a subfolder in the TW USB install, copy them there, and then start up TW.

3) Practically, once you get over 800 modules, TW starts getting slow on start up. I have 2000 modules in my posted to my website install. It does take a few minutes to finish start up. That is a problem that you need to be aware of, and you probably should clean out junk or useless modules from your installations. (Just copying into a TW folder or out of is all there is to it.)

4) The most recent versions of Windows, especially the 64 flavours, is very different in how and what you can do. In these versions of Windows, everything in the C:/Programs folders and subfolders are "locked". By that, I mean Windows blocks programs from seeing or using any files in those folders that are not put there by a Windows installer, i.e. copying into your C:/Programs/theWord folder won't work on these Windows versions. So if you copy modules there, and they are not visible, that is why. You MUST COPY THEM TO //Documents/TheWord folder. Windows will allow you to copy into those folders without problem.

5) TheWord upgrades are a big problem in these many TW USB installs. When you download a new version of TW, there is the problem, these multiple installs will not be automatically upgraded. So when you upgrade (and here, anytime Costas changes this to include a necessary new file in the program exe folder, this won't work any more), but when you upgrade your hard disk/registry install, copy the file theword.exe into all your USB installs. I do that, and I never have a problem with it afterwards. P.S. on this on, I name all my TW USB install folders "TW" with its descriptor, i.e. TW Posted, TW Posted Spanish, etc.

I have copied all my modules on parables into a TW USB install, and worked on them there. It is fast and easy to see just them (i.e. a substitution for making a module Layout set).

Have fun! Enjoy!
In Christ,
Pastor David Cox
davidcox (at sign) davidcox.com.mx
HerkEngineer

Post by HerkEngineer »

blcjr wrote:
Rich wrote:blcjr
Running two instances doubles the number of bibles and books that can be opened at the same time.
I am also using duel monitors. I have tried running two instances of TW at the same time; compact mode and normal installation, with no problems. I am more satisfied running one program and using "floating windows" on the second monitor. I can sync the floating views with which ever Bible view I want and also re size them as I need to.

Rich
"floating windows..." I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip.
All I can say is WOW! TW has already revolutionized the way I study (and read) the Scriptures. I said goodbye to two old friends, and deleted them (Bibles) from my hard drive since placing TW on my system.

I was previously utilizing the "multiple instances" trick to increase my "viewing pleasure" on my dual-monitor set up. Then I began to explore this forum, and found the above posts. Almost like being born-again! (I said almost :lol: ).

To those who use this method (as I did), I would submit for your consideration - STOP. Try "floating windows", especially if you run a dual monitor workstation. This "trick" has completely changed the way I use TW. My previous line of thinking was to use multiple instances, so I could have at hand, everything I wanted. Now I understand (I saw through a glass darkly) that I ALREADY have everything at hand - I just wasn't using it properly.

For your consideration: You don't need multiple instances of TW - you need one instance with a few (or possibly several) different Layouts. Explore floating windows - you won't regret it.

blcjr and Rich - Thanks for the most excellent Tip/Trick/Hint. I'll say it one more time - WOW! :mrgreen:
davidcoxmex

Post by davidcoxmex »

Hi Brother,

Yes, that is a very accute problem in the TheWord community. TheWord is such a flexible and power tool, that it does take some time to learn all you can do with it. After using other Bible software that is designed to work only "one way", and seldom does the software designer have any idea how everybody is using his software, coming to theWord is refreshing. The flexibility of it is awesome.

I would also recommend that you very intensely study
http://www.thewordtutorial.com/03-panel ... r-theword/
and
http://www.thewordtutorial.com/03-panel ... -bookview/

There are module Layout Sets (for the Bookview window), but these have to do with the Window Layouts, which can be saved and restored (Main Menu->View->Layout.

Another thing that would probably be very useful to you is to study how you can synchronize a Bible Window with a Bible Search Window or BookView window (think commentaries here).

Concerning the use of multiple monitors, that is extremely productive and nice. I had that setup for years before I found theWord, and lately I haven't been able to do that again, and I am using large monitors. Actually personally, I have a NetBook using it on my laptop with an exterior large monitor and a regular keyboard (not the laps built in one that I find frustrating to use with my "big fingers"). I can use it, and I do when I use the NetBook away from home, but there is nothing like a "real" keyboard.

Concerning why one would use multiple instances of theWord, I still maintain that it is useful to have that USB installation of TW on my hard drive. I have probably 7-8 different installations of TW like that. This is not normal for most people I admit, but I have need for them this way. One is for making modules, and since I download TW modules from the Internet, I convert e-Sword modules, and besides that I make modules from scratch. Doing this means that I need to keep what I am working on in one place and not mix it with the rest of the done made modules, and those that are qued for processing. In the "done made" TW UFD folder, I have over 2000 modules which are on my website. I need to know quickly if something is already up. A second TW UFD folder is for the Spanish modules already up. I have a TW UFD which has modules qued for processing when I get to it. There are over 1000 modules there (English). I have also have a TW UFD folder for when I try to make the TW installer EXE and I forgot to close it properly and it won't make the exe. I quickly copy everything over to an empty TW UFD and check them all and copy them back. I have a folder for TW modules going into e-Sword format, and another for those going into MySword format.

My point is that I don't want to make a Module Layout Set separating by hand the modules at hand from those already made, so this is the easiest way to do it.

As far as actually using TW for study, I fully agree with you that you don't need more than 1 TW installation for studying. For missionaries like me, perhaps it is better to have your modules separated into an English group and a Spanish group, but even so, I do find I want some English work when I am in the Spanish TW to translate parts into a sermon, or check verses that I know are in an English work. So even though I have those two to study with, I probably would agree with you that one is sufficient really.
In Christ,
Pastor David Cox
pfpeller

Post by pfpeller »

This is a great discussion.

After using theWord. I cannot imagine going back to a software with only one Bible view as my main study tool.

I usually have 5 Bible views open in theWord. Two have cross references (ESV2011 and now TSKe). One Bible view has morphology and Strongs info. One Bible view has commentary links. One Bible view has word lookup dictionaries configured. They are all different translations.

I have 4 book views, one for commentaries, one for dictionaries, one for my study or teaching notes, and one for books. I open search windows as I use them and then close them again.

2 of the 9 windows are floating, but I have then pushed down almost off the screen at the bottom and I just drag them up when I need them.

This discussion has made we want a second monitor!!!!
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

Still at the top of my wish list for the user interface is the ability to have separate tabs for each layout and the ability to have module sets for the bible view like there is for the other types of modules.
davidcoxmex

Post by davidcoxmex »

I can guarantee you that you will like a two monitor set up! It is worth the effort!
In Christ,
Pastor David Cox
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I am right there with Steve - in wanting Bible sets as we have in Book sets, and the tab concept is VERY intriguing!

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

DarrelW wrote:I am right there with Steve - in wanting Bible sets as we have in Book sets, and the tab concept is VERY intriguing!

Darrel
Honestly, this is a hot issue and i will certainly do
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Hi Costas,
Not meaning to work you harder ( :P ), but is there any progress on Bible sets? Love ya man!

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Sorry Darrel, no. There is work with latest beta (1364)
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Reposting a previous request - has any progress been made on Bible sets and/or tabs? I'd sure like to have Bible sets!

Darrel
JG

Post by JG »

No movement on this.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet