Simple word search not finding all occurences

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
yetanotherforumname

Simple word search not finding all occurences

Post by yetanotherforumname »

I've just found a bug that has shaken my confidence in theWord. Or maybe in the English language?

I did a search on "camped" in the KJV, whole Bible. I was really only interested in Numbers 33, but it was easier just to search with the existing settings. TheWord came up with 13 instances in Numbers 33. I knew that was wrong, so I counted them manually, underlining and numbering each one. As I expected, there are 40. It had to be 40, right? ;-)

As a cross-check, I did the same search in two well-known online bible study sites. Both returned exactly ONE instance in the entire Bible! That was Ex 19:2 in both cases.

Is there something odd about that particular word? This should be a simple pattern matching, and it's not like it's a difficult word to spell.

Any ideas?

I'm using version 5.0.0.1450 under Win7 Pro.
Mark
JG

Re: Simple word search not finding all occurences

Post by JG »

The explanation is that theWord only reports the number of verses that it finds a match in.
Also the other setting on details tab of search you would need is "whole words" only. Also beware of ignore case.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
yetanotherforumname

Re: Simple word search not finding all occurences

Post by yetanotherforumname »

The explanation is that theWord only reports the number of verses that it finds a match in.
That's true, but that's not the explanation. Take a look at the chapter and you'll see that each instance is in a different verse, so it should report all 40.

"Ignore case" is checked, and it's finding "encamped" just fine.

The problem is with the KJV translators thinking it was cute (or something) to translate the SAME word in the original by DIFFERENT words in English, even in the same passage. I was searching in KJV in theWord and manually counting in NKJV. KJV uses 13 instances of "encamped" and the rest are translated as "pitched", even though it's the same Hebrew word.

When I search on the Strong's number, theWord finds all instances.

So, there is no problem with theWord. It was purely pilot error!

Thanks for the assist! Dunno why I missed that. I have run into it many times before. I should have gotten it right away.
Mark