John Gill

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
Dphares

John Gill

Post by Dphares »

Hi! I noticed that the Gill module is missing all verse references beyond the initial first reference. That is, for many comments Gill used multiple references to support his conclusions, but only the first reference in any particular series made it into the module.

Thanks!
JG

Re: John Gill

Post by JG »

Any examples?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Dphares

Post by Dphares »

Hi Jon, thanks for your work on Poole.
Regarding Gill, the easiest way to see the many missing references is to download the Gill Commentary at this link https://www.grace-ebooks.com/library/in ... hn%20Gill/

And then compare the Gill comment links in these PDF files with those in the Word module.

These could be done by hand but I was hoping there was a faster "computer way" of doing it.

Thanks for any help!
JG

Post by JG »

Just one example would help.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Dphares

Post by Dphares »

Sure Jon, a good example of the two types of verse reference problems in the Gill Word module occurs in the "Introduction to Genesis."

The module has a reference to John 1:45, but the reference should be John 1:45-47 AND Acts 15:21.

So the module only puts the initial reference regardless of how many were in sequence in the original work. And, as shown above, it cuts off expanded initial reference.

Thanks for any help on how we could add these!
JG

Post by JG »

Just checking what our data source has. If it does not have these refs then we are scuppered.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Dphares

Post by Dphares »

Is there any way to transfer all the data in the PDF files and make an entirely new module?

Thanks!
JG

Post by JG »

Well it is not impossible, but I am not going to be able to do it.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Dphares

Post by Dphares »

Well thanks anyway Jon. It would seem to be a rather large project. The above PDF files are at least useful as an added corrective to the otherwise awesome module.

Take care and thanks again!
Dphares

Post by Dphares »

Hi again Jon, I have just one more question regarding the Gill module, and it would be from where does the "data source" you mentioned above originate?

Thanks in advance!

Don
JG

Post by JG »

There was no information on where it was from. Odd I know. It appears that many Bible software have the same bad data.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Dphares

Post by Dphares »

Yes, I noticed that as well. At least the above resource seems accurate.

On a final note, and I don't know if you have the time to mess with it (l know I don't), but the Matthew Henry concise commentary is a wreck, missing data from verses and even whole chapters everywhere -- I remember Proverbs missing tons of data, but bad in other places as well.

Just a heads up,

Don
JG

Post by JG »

Thanks for the heads-up.
I don't have the time to spend on these resources. If it really is trash we might have to pull it.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Dphares

Post by Dphares »

Well, give me a few weeks and I'll get it fixed up. Its a decent little commentary.
Dphares

Post by Dphares »

Sorry Jon, I won't be able to do this one either right now. There's a complete copy for folks simply by googling for it.

Take care,

Don