Question on "Paste as Plain Text"?

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
CES

Question on "Paste as Plain Text"?

Post by CES »

I love TheWord!! I love it!!
A question...
From studying forum.theword.net, I came across some lines that Costas added at some point (maybe in a Beta release a few years ago) to allow (I believe) "paste as plain text":
In "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\The Word\config.ini", I added three lines:

[general]
ver.3=1
clipboard.format.bible.unicode=0
clipboard.format.bible.rtf=0
clipboard.format.bible.text=1
font.greek.name=Gentium
font.hebrew.name=Cardo
xrefs.selected.set=My Cross References.xrefs.twm-xrefs
etc. ...

I tried re-opening TheWord, hoping that cut and paste in my topics in TheWord would now eliminate the pesky formatting, when I copied from other places, such as webpages, or other (formatted) documents. However, it didn't seem to work.

Here's a screencast of what I did:
https://www.screencast.com/t/I4LlayslssD8

Can anyone help me with what I am doing wrong? Is there a feature I can use for this. The only shortcut keys I'm aware of in TheWord for pasting are Cntl+V and Shift+Insert, and neither seems to do what I want: they both *formatted* text, not *unformatted* text. Any ideas?

Charles S.
Northbrook, IL
JG

Re: Question on "Paste as Plain Text"?

Post by JG »

1) When copying from a web page and pasting to theWord I suggest first pasting to a plain text editor like Notepad++ and then copy from there and paste to your topic.

2) Or use the format brush in theWord to set the text to an existing format you have in the topic. Of course you need to have some plain text as you like it, already in the topic.

I am not sure why the option to paste as plain or formatted text was not implemented.

The config settings you mention if I recall correctly were settings for the Bible view copying so that in other programs there would be the optional text on the clipboard or not, as some don't like to keep the formatting and just want the plain text always when copying from the Bible view and just want to use Ctrl+V in their other app. Those settings in the config.ini will allow you that option in the Bible view copy to clipboard.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
CES

Re: Question on "Paste as Plain Text"?

Post by CES »

Thanks, Jon, for the prompt response.
Yes, I know all about first copying the text into a plain text editor (or into a full text editor using a "paste special" option, etc.), and I even mentioned that "of course" I was familiar with this option already in the video which I posted. (You know, as I posted my question, I was hoping not to be advised along these lines, as this was something I was already so well aware of, so I had tried to "head off" this obvious advice, but I'm afraid I failed to get my wish. :) ) Anyway, thanks for mentioning that you did not know why the feature I requested has, to your knowledge, not been implemented, as well as for explaining the purpose of the "config" parameters I mentioned.
Appreciatively,
Charles S.
Northbrook, IL