A hope that probably won't happen

Ideas and suggestions about new features
Ronald.Alan

A hope that probably won't happen

Post by Ronald.Alan »

It sure would be nice if theWord was ported over to Linux for us Linux users. :D :!: :D
JG

Re: A hope that probably won't happen

Post by JG »

Some Linux users run theWord in Wine on Linux. Seems to work ok for them on the whole.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Ronald.Alan

Post by Ronald.Alan »

That's not an option for me, as installing Wine will theoretically open up your Linux system to Windows malware.

[As I wrote in the subject line . . . .] :cry:
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi Ronald,
I see your point. Unfortunately there are no current plans to do such a port,
Costas
therapon

Post by therapon »

A lightweight linux install + WINE + TW in a virtual machine that has no network access would do it. The clipboard monitor in TW might not work but everything else should.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Hello Costas,
Just one final point (and hopefully this one will not be deleted as my last several were!), TW does not need to be ported to Linux since it runs fine under wine. There just needs to be a willingness to provide official support for TW running on wine, and when issues arise (like the font issue that started this whole thing) there needs to be a willingness to dig in and find an answer. So I put this whole thing before you my friend - are we going to do business properly?

Darrel
JG

Post by JG »

DarrelW wrote:Hello Costas,
Just one final point (and hopefully this one will not be deleted as my last several were!), TW does not need to be ported to Linux since it runs fine under wine. There just needs to be a willingness to provide official support for TW running on wine, and when issues arise (like the font issue that started this whole thing) there needs to be a willingness to dig in and find an answer. So I put this whole thing before you my friend - are we going to do business properly?

Darrel
Your post is really insulting to Costas, myself and Jonathan.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

It is not insulting to Costas, for there is nothing insulting in what I had to say. But this going downhill really fast, so my involvement is now finished. You two can deal with stuff however you want.
Ronald.Alan

Post by Ronald.Alan »

therapon wrote:A lightweight linux install + WINE + TW in a virtual machine that has no network access would do it. The clipboard monitor in TW might not work but everything else should.
This is a good suggestion. However, if I were to do something like this, then I would just install Windows as the guest OS instead of another Linux distro + wine.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi All,
let me put a couple notes here:
I have been very careful since the beginning of the creation of theWord to say that this is a 'Windows only software'. It has always been very tempting to say that it runs on Mac or/and Linux, but I never said that officially and I never said I would support theWord on either of these platforms (although if you look the actual code of theWord, there are if...then...else statements for when running under wine).

The reason is obvious: I cannot support a product on a platform that I don't have control over. The Wine project itself (although a huge and impressive one) is a best-effort approach and never promises compatibility with anything.

I have been programming professionally for about 30 yrs, and still do, and I know when to step back, and this is one of those cases that I did from the very start.

Having said that, I know that theWord will run on linux/MAC, given some restrictions, and I am happy for it. But I cannot officially support or code for these platforms.

I also know that the support team here at the forum makes every effort to support (unofficially) these platforms, but this should not be taken as a sign that they are officially supported, it is all done under a 'best-effort' approach (and of good will).

Hope this is helpful
Costas