Help! theWord is in some kind of reset mode

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
kenfhill84083

Help! theWord is in some kind of reset mode

Post by kenfhill84083 »

My copy of theWord seems to have undergone a major reset. I have lost my layouts and the main menu looks like some kind of development version. see images
Attachments
reset mode - layouts.png
reset mode - layouts.png (15.89 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
reset mode - main menu.png
reset mode - main menu.png (7 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
Last edited by kenfhill84083 on Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
kenfhill84083

Re: Help! theWord is in some kind of reset mode

Post by kenfhill84083 »

I have gone back a couple of releases and still getting this problem.
Last edited by kenfhill84083 on Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

I tried using a theWord-to-go copy of TW on a thumb drive and get the same developmental-looking UI. When I check Help > About, there is no version number on the Help screen.

Can I uninstall and re-install without losing my notes and layouts?
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

I have uninstalled theWord and downloaded an installer from the website and installed that. Registered most of my purchased books although some did not work with the same numbers that did work a few weeks ago on my new laptop.

But it still looks ugly and acts broken. see image

My layouts are not saved - I have to rebuild my favorite layout and theme every session. Bible view options are not saved (eg, popups on hover instead of ctrl+hover) Somehow, it remembered my colors for verse numbers and current verse this time.

Fortunately, my personal modules and data seems to be OK.

But I am tearing out what little hair I have left. :? :cry: :x
Attachments
reset mode - actView menu.png
reset mode - actView menu.png (21.19 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

Now I am getting new gibberish in the UI. see image

I have shut down the computer several times. Uninstalled-reinstalled several times.

It never looks the same from one session to the next. Always some new odd behavior and UI issues. Always frustration.

I'm ready to go backwards a few days to a restore point and hope I don't lose data in some other program.

If I cannot get this fixed I'll have to say goodbye to TW :cry:

I better get back to exporting my notes from personal modules. I'm afraid they may disappear in a future TW session.
Attachments
reset mode - status bar.png
reset mode - status bar.png (3.86 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

After restoring to a restore point a few days ago, TW seems to be working now - except a couple of my purchased books won't register.

Administrator . feel free to delete this topic if you want. It didn't really get anywhere and probably is a waste of further time. Thanks.
JG

Post by JG »

kenfhill84083 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:47 am After restoring to a restore point a few days ago, TW seems to be working now - except a couple of my purchased books won't register.
which books don't register.

I have seen this actFile etc in the interface. Renaming the config.ini (so you have a backup) and starting theWord makes it produce a fresh config.ini file which clearly has become corrupted in some way.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

So along with what Jon said, you don't happen to have an older config.ini file from a backup somewhere you can replace with so you don't have to redo all your layouts and stuff?
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.