Greek search problems

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
berwyn

Greek search problems

Post by berwyn »

Hello.

1. First issue: I wonder why I can't enter Greek characters into the Bible search view. But I can cut-n-paste Greek characters from the Bible view into the Bible Search view just fine. For example, when I enter πρόσκαιροί manually it fails (like in the first attached image). But when I paste in Greek characters it works fine (like in the second attached image).

The funny thing is that I can type Greek just fine into the dictionary topic search box.

2. Second issue: when pasting from a different program, some Greek words work fine, but others fail. For example, when I paste και from another program it works fine. But when I paste πρόσκαιποί from another program it fails -- even though pasting πρόσκαιροί from the Bible view works fine. A little bit of research on my own shows that the two words πρόσκαιποί and πρόσκαιροί look the same but actually have different underlying unicode data as shown here in python:

Code: Select all

python
>>> s1="πρόσκαιποί"
>>> s2="πρόσκαιροί"
>>> print(s1.encode('utf-8')); print(s2.encode('utf-8'))
b'\xcf\x80\xcf\x81\xcf\x8c\xcf\x83\xce\xba\xce\xb1\xce\xb9\xcf\x80\xce\xbf\xce\xaf'
b'\xcf\x80\xcf\x81\xcf\x8c\xcf\x83\xce\xba\xce\xb1\xce\xb9\xcf\x81\xce\xbf\xce\xaf'
Notice the different \x81 in the second string.

It may be relevant for you to know that I'm running theWord under Wine, though everything works 100% except this.

Thanks,
Berwyn
Attachments
EnteringGreekManually.png
EnteringGreekManually.png (25.22 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
PastingGreek.png
PastingGreek.png (38.22 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
JG

Re: Greek search problems

Post by JG »

my own shows that the two words πρόσκαιποί and πρόσκαιροί look the same but actually have different underlying unicode
These are different words so they would have different underlying code. The third from last letter is π in the first word and ρ in the second.

I have just tried entering Greek from the keyboard into the Bible search and Book search and both work fine.

Anyone else have issues with entering Greek in Bible search?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
berwyn

Post by berwyn »

Ok, so that's embarrassing. Even after printing those two words out one above the other I didn't see the difference on-screen until you mentioned ... But it's right there in plain sight, even on my computer. ... and I'm supposed to be a Greek student! Anyway, now the search works. Ok, so that resolves the second issue.

The first issue remains. It is simply that although I can enter Greek fine into the Book view search box, I cannot enter them into the Bible search box. I can however, cut-n-paste it from the Book search box into the Bible search box. See attached screenshot.

Any ideas on why these two search boxes would act differently?
Yes, any other reports of the same (probably on Linux), would be appreciated.
Attachments
Only way to enter Greek.png
Only way to enter Greek.png (50.28 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
berwyn

Post by berwyn »

Does anyone involved with the source code of theWord have any idea how the Bible search box differs in type from the Book search box? This might be a clue as to why typed Greek characters are accepted in one, and not in the other.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greetings,
I looked at the components in the code they are the same component, they may have different settings but I checked in what should be the unicode areas and they look the same. When I type in Windows 10 in either box they Greek works fine. This may be more linked to how Wine handles things. Perhaps Costas may have some ideas. However, Wine is not officially supported so it may take some time to look into it.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
berwyn

Post by berwyn »

Thanks for taking the time to look at the code. The boxes must have different settings, then. I'll await Costas' thoughts.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

berwyn wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:09 am Hello.

1. First issue: I wonder why I can't enter Greek characters into the Bible search view. But I can cut-n-paste Greek characters from the Bible view into the Bible Search view just fine. For example, when I enter πρόσκαιροί manually it fails (like in the first attached image). But when I paste in Greek characters it works fine (like in the second attached image).

The funny thing is that I can type Greek just fine into the dictionary topic search box.
I've been doing some experimenting. Seems like this problem began with build 1498. Build 1497 does not have this issue. Typing Greek into a user editable commentary also does not work starting with build 1498.
berwyn

Post by berwyn »

Good find! Hopefully this gives the developers the clue they need to fix it.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Has anyone tried. 6.0.1.1532 in this regard?
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

jonathangkoehn wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:23 am Has anyone tried. 6.0.1.1532 in this regard?
Yes, and the problem is still there.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

mathetes wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:04 am
jonathangkoehn wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:23 am Has anyone tried. 6.0.1.1532 in this regard?
Yes, and the problem is still there.
Correction. Greek characters are being entered correctly in a commentary module with build 1532. It is only in the Bible search window where they are still not being entered correctly.
JG

Post by JG »

What do you mean by "not being entered correctly"?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

JG wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:06 pm What do you mean by "not being entered correctly"?
Greek letters are typed but what is shown in the search edit box is English characters and question marks.
berwyn

Post by berwyn »

@Jon, the issue under discussion is the original issue 1 documented in the first message of this chain. Basically, when you turn on your Greek keyboard and type characters, they don't come out as Greek characters like they should. The problem only happens in this particular entry box. Others work fine.

For example, typing ἐκκλεσια into the search box yields this