Configurable paragraph styles in the editor

Ideas and suggestions about new features
paul1149

Configurable paragraph styles in the editor

Post by paul1149 »

I realize this may not be a priority, but I wanted to get it out there, anyway.

It would be great if the editor allowed for configuring the default paragraph style, or even offered more than one style. Those two concepts are not mutually exclusive, of course.

Currently I right-click every verse note I create to adjust the trailing space on the paragraphs. I guess I could simply print a double-return, but I'm used to using styles for paragraph spacing in Libreoffice. And of course, heading styles would be nice as well.

I suppose this would entail changing out the editor module, just guessing.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw this out there. Is there anything we users can do to help the project? I talk it up at every opportunity.

Be well,
Paul
kenfhill84083

Re: Configurable paragraph styles in the editor

Post by kenfhill84083 »

paul1149 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:52 pm It would be great if the editor allowed for configuring the default paragraph style, or even offered more than one style. Those two concepts are not mutually exclusive, of course.

Currently I right-click every verse note I create to adjust the trailing space on the paragraphs. I guess I could simply print a double-return, but I'm used to using styles for paragraph spacing in Libreoffice. And of course, heading styles would be nice as well.
+1 I use styles in every program I can and would definitely use them in theWord if available. Especially if I had as much keyboard control as possible.

I am increasingly using personal TW modules for my notes, gradually bringing them in from RightNote and Freeplane. I find notetaking to be a form of meditating on the Word. So the easier the modules are to use and navigate the better that works for me. My other notetaking apps are significantly more user friendly so I am sacrificing some efficiency gathering everything together in TW. Any improvements in usability and functionality would help a lot - especially making text editing as keyboard-friendly as possible.
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Yes, theWord is a great note taker, especially because of the interplay between notes and Bible window. I too find notetaking a powerful way to dig into and come to understand the Word.

And styles are indeed a powerful way to make the notes accessible and lessen eyestrain. I believe the TW editor is a drop-in module. It got upgraded a couple of years ago, and the forward word delete function (ctrl-del) was added, which is a biggie around here. I don't know if a more advanced alternative is available, to support styles.

Humbly submitted, as I suspect there's a lot on the plate around here already.
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

One way I see to do this is to compose in Libreoffice, which has para styles, and then cut and paste into TW. Not ideal, but it works. For me there is the added problem of having to first close my clipboard manager, because it prevents formatting carryover.

Edit: This also has the advantage of autocorrect, auto-capitalization, a more mature user dictionary, etc, which is quite massive, and almost certainly beyond the reach of a RT editor. If I can finagle the room on my desktop, I might go this way.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

paul1149 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:04 am One way I see to do this is to compose in Libreoffice, which has para styles, and then cut and paste into TW. Not ideal, but it works. For me there is the added problem of having to first close my clipboard manager, because it prevents formatting carryover.
clipboard manager . have you tried Ditto. It defaults to pasting with formatting but has an option (shift+Enter) to paste as plain text.

Libreoffice . I use that and RightNote as pre-processors to get my notes in a TW-ready format. I do a lot with 2-column tables -- Bible or other text in the left-hand column and my notes in the right-hand column. I use LO to convert text to tables ; RN is the best app I have found for table manipulation. I spend a lot of time jumping back and forth between LO-RN and TW (using keyboard shortcuts in each). It is now second nature and fairly efficient. RN and LO flawlessly maintain my internal TW hyperlinks so no futzing and tweaking there.

I don't imagine TW will ever have all the editor bells and whistles of a dedicated word processor. And I certainly would not want them at the expense of the dedicated Bible study functionality of TW. I suppose we all dream of the ideal all-in-one app.
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

I'm on Linux, so Ditto is a no-go. I use Copy-Q, which is awesome. It also has a residual group for pasting, accessible by hotkey. But for some reason it kills formatting.

I also can't drag and drop into TW because it's on WINE on Linux.

And I just tested, and suddenly formatting is being preserved, including manual formatting and style-based formatting. I don't know why it works now, but if this persists it will be very nice!