View word(s) across bibles

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
DarrelW

View word(s) across bibles

Post by DarrelW »

I have forgotten, can I have 2 bibles in parallel, click on a word in one bible and corresponding word(s) in second bible?
JG

Re: View word(s) across bibles

Post by JG »

Hi Darrel,
No, that feature does not appear in theWord.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Ok, thanks.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Can't the bible view synchronizing feature do this? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're hoping for, but I'm able to make it so that I have two Bible views, and if I click on a verse in one, the other one jumps to that verse.

In the right toolbar on a Bible view, there's a button that looks like two chain links connected together.
syncBibleViews.jpg
syncBibleViews.jpg (65.66 KiB) Viewed 859 times
Click the little black arrow to the right of that button, and it will let you select which Bible view to sync to. Then any time you click a verse in the selected Bible view, the other one will jump to it. Depending on how you have things set up, they may also scroll together.

Note that the syncing only goes one way - the targeted Bible view will "control" the other one, but the other one won't control the targeted one unless you set the other one to sync to the first one. So with the setup in my screenshot, the top one will change the selected verse in the bottom one (since the bottom one is set to sync to the top one). But clicking a verse in the bottom Bible view won't change the selected verse in the top one. You'd have to set the top one to sync to the bottom one as well for that to happen.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

No that is not what I desire. When I have several bibles open, I want to click on a word and have that words definition highlighted in the other translations. Jon has already said TW cannot do this.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Oh. That makes sense. Sorry about the misunderstanding. I thought maybe Jon had misunderstood you and thought you meant something different, when it turns out I'm the one who misunderstood :P

If both/all modules have Strong's numbers, though, you can kinda mimic what you're going for if you use the Bible search feature. (You may already know this, but maybe this will help someone else looking to do the same thing.) Basically you just have the modules with Strong's numbers loaded into Compare view, and then also make sure all those modules are selected in the Bible search view.
selectBiblesSearch.jpg
selectBiblesSearch.jpg (13.8 KiB) Viewed 854 times
biblesSelected.jpg
biblesSelected.jpg (19.88 KiB) Viewed 854 times
Then hover over the word or Strong's link of the word you want to have highlighted to see the Strong's number. You can then search for it, and then click the current verse in the Bible search view - this will cause the corresponding words to be highlighted in both modules.
dualHIghlight.jpg
dualHIghlight.jpg (173.93 KiB) Viewed 854 times
A bit cumbersome, and if you have Strong's numbers set to be displayed rather than being integrated into the words themselves you can probably do this by eyeballing it rather than actually searching for the number, but it might help in some tricky corner cases.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

(The above can be made even easier if you put multiple Strong's numbers into the search - that will give you fewer results, making it easier to click the right verse, and it will also give more detailed highlights.)
multiHighlights.jpg
multiHighlights.jpg (15.86 KiB) Viewed 852 times