Bugs

Discussions related to the "ToTheWord" 3rd party tool that is used to generate modules for theWord
jonathangkoehn

Bugs

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Please add bugs to this area so they are easier to keep track of. But please explain in detail how the bug happened.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
arraybolt3

Re: Bugs

Post by arraybolt3 »

From having worked with a large number of bad bug reports in the past, I thought it might be useful to put a quick "how to make a good bug report" header to help other users.

1. Describe, in as much detail as reasonable, what you were trying to make happen. Are you trying to make a general book? A Bible? A commentary? What is the intended end goal you had in mind?

2. Then tell us exactly what steps to follow to reproduce the bug. Telling us "I clicked this button but it didn't work" does not help us at all, since "didn't work" can mean so many many many different things. On the other hand, we can much more easily understand something like "First I clicked this button, then I typed this particular text in such and such a spot. Next I clicked this other button, and without warning the program crashed."

3. Tell us what you expected to happen.

4. Lastly, tell us what happened instead.

5. If there's any additional info you think we need to understand what's happening, also tell us about that.

An example of a helpful bug report:

---

I'm trying to make a book module from a text called "Awesome Bible Stuff". It's distributed as a .docx file, and I'm attempting to make it into a module by copying all the text from the .docx into TotheWord and then modifying it with regexes. While doing this, TotheWord crashed out of nowhere. I can get it to crash reliably.

Steps to reproduce the bug:

1. Download "Awesome Bible Stuff" from https://example.com.
2. Open it in Microsoft Word, select all of the text, and then copy it into TotheWord.
3. With the text cursor at the very start of the document in TotheWord, click the <:> button.

Expected result: The text "<:>" should be inserted where the text cursor is, making a new topic.

Actual result: TotheWord immediately crashes.

---

(Note that the above bug report is made up - I haven't ever seen TotheWord crash when I pressed the <:> button. This is just an example.)

An example of an unhelpful bug report:

---

help I'm trying to make a module but the <:> button doesn't work and the program crashes a lot, thanks for your help

---

For a more detailed explanation of what makes a good bug report, see https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11
JG

Post by JG »

Also mention your operating system and what version it is, and the version of TotheWord used.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

[RESOLVED - FIXED IN D1.9.2h]

TotheWord D1.9.2g is very unstable running under wine-staging 8.3 on Lubuntu 22.04. Seemingly normal operations like switching to the Bible Editor or attempting to resize the TotheWord window causes TotheWord to lock up entirely, requiring that I terminate it using the Ubuntu equivalent of Windows' "End Process" (sending SIGTERM to it).

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open TotheWord D1.9.2g.
2a. Click Editor Mode -> Bible Editor. OR...
2b. Unmaximize TotheWord and attempt to resize the TotheWord window.

Expected result: If step 2a is followed The Bible Editor should appear and respond to user input. If step 2b is followed, the TotheWord window should resize normally.
Actual result: If step 2a is followed, The Bible Editor appears to render to the screen properly, but the entire program then hangs and fails to respond to any user input whatsoever. If step 2b is followed, TotheWord hangs immediately before the window begins changing size.

Additional information: This is a regression from TotheWord D1.9.2f - opening the Bible Editor and resizing the TotheWord window both work as expected on version D1.9.2f. This is on the exact same Lubuntu 22.04 installation, running the same version of Wine. I just did an OS update before learning about this bug and verifying that it doesn't occur in D1.9.2f, so all installed package versions should have remained identical while trying both D1.9.2g and D1.9.2f.
Last edited by arraybolt3 on Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

This is on the exact same Lubuntu 22.04 installation, running the same version of Wine. I just did an OS update before learning about this bug and verifying that it doesn't occur in D1.9.2f, so all installed package versions should have remained identical while trying both D1.9.2g and D1.9.2f.
1. Just to make sure the bug occurred before the update? or after the update?
2. So D1.9.2f works fine but D1.9.2g does not?
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Please see the private message
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

2. So D1.9.2f works fine but D1.9.2g does not?
Correct.

Also, I saw the private message and will respond shortly.

arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

arraybolt3 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:05 pm TotheWord D1.9.2g is very unstable running under wine-staging 8.3 on Lubuntu 22.04.
I have verified that the bug has been solved in D1.9.2h - I can freely switch between the Bible Editor and Book Editor, and can resize the TotheWord window without problems.

mathetes

Re: Bugs - About tags

Post by mathetes »

Multiple lines in the About tag are not restored to the configuration, even though they have been saved to the .biconfig file. And extra long lines, as an alternative, are not able to be entered into the configuration tags data box without them becoming multiple lines.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

mathetes wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:01 pm Multiple lines in the About tag are not restored to the configuration, even though they have been saved to the .biconfig file. And extra long lines, as an alternative, are not able to be entered into the configuration tags data box without them becoming multiple lines.
The About tag in the .biconfig file should not be edited directly.
.biconfig and .config should not be edited directly.
Please load the About File from Config/About/Map > Bible > Open About

Please explain "configuration tags" data box.

Please if possible use more detail in bug reports.
Please include the following:
Operating system, version
TotheWord version
Steps to reproduce the bug.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

Nevermind. I had put the information in an About.rtf file, but the info window kept coming up blank when trying to view the info in theWord. I tried to put the info in the Verse Rules and Tag Rules edit box. But I finally figured out that my real problem was that I had an earlier test module under a different file name but using the same Bible name and abbreviation, and so I was always getting the info from that one instead of the one I was working on. :oops:
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

When importing any html as a book with the New Special Open, there will always be a <:>Title tag at the very beginning. Is this intentional? It does not happen when importing the same files with Open New.

TtW 2.0.0a
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Yes this is intentional. (If there is not a <:> at the very start I believe it will cause a bug on build. (If you need to import multiple html one right after another into the same file I would recommend using "Append" in the New Special Open then it should just be added without the <:>Title
mathetes

Re: Bugs - File lock after crash

Post by mathetes »

When TtW throws an error, it does not cleanly catch the error and close the output file handle before returning control. The file needs to be manually deleted through Windows and forced to be unlocked.

To create a crash, simply create a file with only "<:> Title" in it with no CRLF at the end of the line. The EOF must be at the end of the topic line. When trying to build the module, it will throw the error "List index out of bounds...." When trying again to rebuild it using the same module name (presumably after fixing the issue that caused the list index error), it will say that the target file is locked and cannot be deleted.

Windows 7, TtW 2.0.2a
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

This last bug here reported should hopefully be fixed now.
Along with a no <:> existing in book error.