importing verse notes onto laptop windows xp

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
alisonireland

importing verse notes onto laptop windows xp

Post by alisonireland »

Please can anyone help

I have saved my word files (help; file locations; personal files folder) onto a usb stick and am trying to import them onto my laptop which I managed to do about a year ago when I first installed theword.

I click file; import personal notes; browse to navigate to my files; but when it finds them and I click on the file ; e.g verse-notes.cmt.twm and then click the open button it simply reverts to the dialog box "import personal notes from previous versions" and nothing then happens. I thnk this is the sequence I followed previously, but it does not work now. I am using word 5.0.0.1450 which is the version I have always used as it works fine and I am reluctant to update. Both versions of theword on the laptop and pc are exactly the same.

However, on further thought; I think I may have originally navigated to the word file and simply copied and pasted the verse notes; subject notes files into the word but now I cannot find how to navigate to past the files. I think the import personal notes process may be for when using different versions of the word on 2 pcs? whch is not the case here.

Please can someone advise on a simple, novice solution?
UBC4ME

Re: importing verse notes onto laptop windows xp

Post by UBC4ME »

alisonireland,

If I am not mistaken, you can do a straight copy and paste from the usb stick to your laptop. I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong.
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
JG

Post by JG »

alisonireland wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:15 pm I click file; import personal notes; browse to navigate to my files; but when it finds them and I click on the file ; e.g verse-notes.cmt.twm and then click the open button it simply reverts to the dialog box "import personal notes from previous versions" and nothing then happens. I thnk this is the sequence I followed previously, but it does not work now. I am using word 5.0.0.1450 which is the version I have always used as it works fine and I am reluctant to update. Both versions of theword on the laptop and pc are exactly the same.
The Import personal notes is only for version 2 of theWord notes etc. There is not an importer for version 3 onwards.

So. Do a regular installation of theWord (version 6 build 1530). Start theWord and let it do its thing. Go to the Help -> About -> File locations tab and note where the various files are stored on your installation. Close down theWord. Copy over the relevant files you have from your other computer to the correct location on your new installation (you will see the files in each folder so that should stop you putting them in the wrong place). Start theWord and you should be good.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
alisonireland

Post by alisonireland »

Jon

thank you for your assistance, but if you note in my post; my difficulty is pasting the files over. I can locate them and copy them on my pc; but cannot paste them and I am unclear how to locate precisely where to paste them; please can you outline in very simple terms as I am a novice user.?

Do I somehow need to navigate to the word folder on my laptop (how?) or do I open the word programme and paste somewhere in there. I think it is the former; but cannot remember how to navigate to the correct folder to paste them in?

I would be very garteful for your help and apologise for my ignorance

Alison
JG

Post by JG »

Probably easier if you can get someone in person to assist.

The file locations are noted in the About, I mentioned. Notice at the end of the location there is an icon with ... in it. If you click that it opens the relevant window for you to paste the corresponding files to, and they will get overwritten.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
alisonireland

Post by alisonireland »

Thank you very much I will re-read your response and try and apply the advice therein