feature request . access to module settings : text justification & preferred font

Ideas and suggestions about new features
kenfhill84083

feature request . access to module settings : text justification & preferred font

Post by kenfhill84083 »

Some modules do not allow editing -- via right-click on the book tab > module properties > settings/actions tab > user module (can be edited) checkbox.

For those, it would help me a lot if 2 settings could be changed even though I can't edit anything else. These 2 settings involve readability, which should be customizable to accommodate different peoples' preferences and health. Readability is important in reading.

(1) turning OFF text justification. Justification's variable word spacing is - to my old eyes - reduces readability (besides being ugly). WC3 guidelines recommend only 1 aligned edge because justified text can be a serious problem for dyslexics (which may be over 10% of people - maybe even some TW users).

(2) allow me to set the font. After much trial and error, I opt for Segoe UI whenever possible. It is the most crisp, clean, and readable (again, for my old eyes). Thick and clunky fonts (eg, Verdana, Arial, Times New Roman) slow me down a lot and decrease my comprehension. But these often are the fonts locked into place in modules and are stumbling blocks for me.

Please, could these 2 settings be made changeable in non-editable modules even though other settings are not?

Thanks.
jonathangkoehn

Re: feature request . access to module settings : text justification & preferred font

Post by jonathangkoehn »

1. These resources are copyrighted and as such this request could get into an area that might not be right.
2. File > Preferences > Fonts > Default book view font (Then you can set it to your desired font for all book views, except for special fonts like Greek/Hebrew which are in the Default Greek, Default Hebrew font. This works on many but not all for Greek/Hebrew)
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
kenfhill84083

Re: feature request . access to module settings : text justification & preferred font

Post by kenfhill84083 »

jonathangkoehn wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:34 pm 1. These resources are copyrighted and as such this request could get into an area that might not be right.
2. File > Preferences > Fonts > Default book view font (Then you can set it to your desired font for all book views, except for special fonts like Greek/Hebrew which are in the Default Greek, Default Hebrew font. This works on many but not all for Greek/Hebrew)
Thanks for the reminder about preferences. I recently had to delete the .ini file and forgot to change that back to Segoe UI.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

While it's probably not OK from a copyright perspective to copy and paste an entire encrypted module into something like MS Word, you could copy individual pages of the module into MS Word or something like that temporarily, then turn off justification there and read in peace. I've done similar things with the M-Strong module before. So long as your temporary copy of the module pages is just for your own personal use and you discard the copy (i.e. close without saving) when you're done, I don't think you'll run afoul of any copyright laws, and you'll be able to read happily.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11