Copying blocks of verses from Lists

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
danielofthelions

Copying blocks of verses from Lists

Post by danielofthelions »

Hi guys !

TheWord is brilliant - we have used it for many years thankyou!
One thing we are stuck on is how to Copy Verses from Lists.

We have made many many many Lists, with lots of passage blocks of verses in the lists.
See attached screenshot for the "31 - Evangelism" list.

However when we copy the verses from the list to paste into a spreadsheet or text file,
for some reason it Breaks the verse passages blocks into Individual verses.

You'll see in the attached image there are many blocks eg.
Exod 4:10-12, 1Chr 16:23-24, Ps 40:9-10, etc.

We can simply select then Control-Copy from the Lists page,
however that has 2 issues that make it unusable:
- It has Short book names
- It copies the individual verse numbers within the block of text
Eg. Exod 4:10-12 will copy the 10, the 11, the 12, along with the verse text.
That is the biggest problem because we have about 8,000 verses in Lists,
so after copying it would be impossible to go through
the 8,000 verses to remove all the Verse numbers manually.

If I go into the phenomenal Verse Copy Management from the
Lists window, it displays all the verses Separately,
but doesn't keep the Passage Blocks together.

In the Predefined Formats there, I can select Single Block Of Text With New Lines,
however then all the verses are on new lines.
I can specify characters to go after the Verses,
but not after the Passage Blocks as in the screenshot.

It appears as though there sohould be some kind of option in
Step 4 or in Advanced Options to Keep Passages Together or something ?

Or is there are way of fixing it with a line in Config.ini ?

Thanks again - you guys are heroes !

cheers,
Dan from Australia
Attachments
listscopy1.jpg
listscopy1.jpg (494.6 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
JG

Re: Copying blocks of verses from Lists

Post by JG »

No config.ini code that I recall.

So you can move forward at this time if you had an easy way to remove the verse numbers from the pasted text? and there were long book names.

You could in desperation change the short names to long names in you english.lng file.

# shorter name
rc_bk_alias3_1='Gen'
rc_bk_alias3_2='Exod'

The removal of the book numbers should be easy enough in something like MS Word. Search and replace by the color or size of the font.

We will have to look at what can be done to add such options to the list view. However there is no time-frame or promise that it will/can be done.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
danielofthelions

Thanks so much Jon.

Changing the short names to long names works great - cheers!

As an emergency, I could search and replace the numbers through
word/wordperfect, however that is a very clunky way of doing it.

The Verse Copy Management window really is so phenomenal.
So at present there no possible way that can keep the Passage Blocks together ?

thanks again,
Dan
JG

Post by JG »

Isn't "copy all as is" good enough?
I get this output when pasting to MS Word
Copy as is.jpg
Copy as is.jpg (340.98 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
danielofthelions

Thanks Jon, yes copying as is does work if there is no other way.

We are using it to import into csv spreadsheets,
which we then use in websites and printed Books with hundreds of Bible verses,
so the process of going via Microsoft Word is very clunky and is prone to errors.
We can do it that way if there is no other possibility.

However we absolutely love the Verse Copy Management system in theWord,
and we have spent many hours attempting to use your magnificent
VCM system to output the passage blocks cleanly.

It would greatly benefit the Lists functionality if there was a way to either:
- Cleanly export the Passage Blocks together without verse numbers
- Or Customising the Lists view page would take theWord to new dimensions

Imagine being able to customise the Lists view to display data
in the same way that the amazing Verse Copy Management system does.

However that wouldn't even be necessary if the Verse Copy Management
system could export the Passage Blocks together without verse numbers.

thanks so much :)
Dan
Deollo

Post by Deollo »

I got it.

doodle jump
danielofthelions

Hi Deollo !

Are you saying you worked out how to copy Blocks of verses from the Lists panel without Verse numbers ?
If so, please share...

God bless !
Dan
JG

Post by JG »

Looks more like a post that has a bad link at the bottom. Normally I delete these posts, but I just wanted to see....
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

danielofthelions wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:54 am Thanks Jon, yes copying as is does work if there is no other way.

We are using it to import into csv spreadsheets,
which we then use in websites and printed Books with hundreds of Bible verses,
so the process of going via Microsoft Word is very clunky and is prone to errors.
We can do it that way if there is no other possibility.
I am a bit confused about how your output format should look. When I copy-as-is a passage from the list it comes into Libreoffice Calc as 1 line in 1 column. Do you want the reference in 1 column and the text in the 2nd column?

If so, you might be able to use a text editor (eg, Libreoffice Writer, Atlantis word processor, NoteTab) to find the verse using regular expressions and put a tab between the reference and the text. That should be pretty easy to import into a spreadsheet.

If that would not work, I need a bit more information. Could you send a screenshot of the target spreadsheet?
danielofthelions

Hi Ken !

The key issue is keeping the verse Passages together.

For example a verse List has these verses:
Genesis 1:1-3
Exodus 1:1-3
Leviticus 1:1-3

Then we want to export the text into any system, even a text file.

There is no way of keeping the verse Passages together without all the verse Numbers in the middle.

So the output we want from that example is this:
"
IN the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.

NOW these are the names of the children of Israel who came to Egypt; each man and his household came with Jacob: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah; Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin;

NOW the LORD called to Moses, and spoke to him from the tabernacle of meeting, saying, “Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: ‘When any one of you brings an offering to the LORD, you shall bring your offering of the livestock–of the herd and of the flock. ‘If his offering is a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish; he shall offer it of his own free will at the door of the tabernacle of meeting before the LORD.
"

However the only way we can export it includes these options:

1) COPY SELECTION, HOWEVER THAT INCLUDES ALL THE VERSE NUMBERS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PASSAGES:
"
Gen 1:1-3 1 IN the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. 3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. | NKJV |
Exod 1:1-3 1 NOW these are the names of the children of Israel who came to Egypt; each man and his household came with Jacob: 2 Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah; 3 Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin; | NKJV |
Lev 1:1-3 1 NOW the LORD called to Moses, and spoke to him from the tabernacle of meeting, saying, 2 “Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: ‘When any one of you brings an offering to the LORD, you shall bring your offering of the livestock–of the herd and of the flock. 3 ‘If his offering is a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish; he shall offer it of his own free will at the door of the tabernacle of meeting before the LORD. | NKJV |
"

2) COPY CONTENT OF LIST AS IS, HOWEVER THAT INCLUDES ALL THE VERSE NUMBERS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PASSAGES:
"
Gen 1:1-3 1 IN the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. 3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. | NKJV |
Exod 1:1-3 1 NOW these are the names of the children of Israel who came to Egypt; each man and his household came with Jacob: 2 Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah; 3 Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin; | NKJV |
Lev 1:1-3 1 NOW the LORD called to Moses, and spoke to him from the tabernacle of meeting, saying, 2 “Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: ‘When any one of you brings an offering to the LORD, you shall bring your offering of the livestock–of the herd and of the flock. 3 ‘If his offering is a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish; he shall offer it of his own free will at the door of the tabernacle of meeting before the LORD. | NKJV |
"

3) COPY ALL, HOWEVER THAT SMASHES ALL THE PASSAGES TOGETHER:
"
IN the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. NOW these are the names of the children of Israel who came to Egypt; each man and his household came with Jacob: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah; Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin; NOW the LORD called to Moses, and spoke to him from the tabernacle of meeting, saying, “Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: ‘When any one of you brings an offering to the LORD, you shall bring your offering of the livestock–of the herd and of the flock. ‘If his offering is a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish; he shall offer it of his own free will at the door of the tabernacle of meeting before the LORD.
"

4) COPY ALL HOLD CONTROL FOR COPY VERSES DIALOG, HOWEVER THERE IS STILL NO WAY WITH THAT DIALOG TO OUTPUT WHAT WE NEED, WHICH SHOULD BE:
"
IN the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.

NOW these are the names of the children of Israel who came to Egypt; each man and his household came with Jacob: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah; Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin;

NOW the LORD called to Moses, and spoke to him from the tabernacle of meeting, saying, “Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: ‘When any one of you brings an offering to the LORD, you shall bring your offering of the livestock–of the herd and of the flock. ‘If his offering is a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish; he shall offer it of his own free will at the door of the tabernacle of meeting before the LORD.
"

So when doing that for 8,000 verses in lists,
it is extremely difficult :)

Can you find any way of outputting it how we need ?

God bless !
Dan
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

To get the output per your example, you may want to try fixing the output using regex in a text editor like Notepad++ if you can't get what you want through theWord. In this case, using regex to search for a pattern like (^[A-Za-z0-9] [0-9]+:[0-9\-]+ |[0-9]+ | \| [A-Z]+ \|) may give the desired output.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

mathetes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:16 am To get the output per your example, you may want to try fixing the output using regex in a text editor like Notepad++ if you can't get what you want through theWord. In this case, using regex to search for a pattern like (^[A-Za-z0-9] [0-9]+:[0-9\-]+ |[0-9]+ | \| [A-Z]+ \|) may give the desired output.
When I copied passages (as is) from a verse list and pasted them into Libreoffice Calc spreadsheet, each row contained, in one cell, (1) the verse reference and (2) the verse text. I tried your regex code in Calc and in NoteTab Pro and it stripped the verse numbers - but it also stripped off the final verse number from the reference (ie "Luke 6:1-5" became "Luke 6:1-").

When I separated the reference from the text - putting the reference in a column I had inserted before the column with the combined ref-text, then selecting the text column - your code worked perfectly. It kept the references intact but stripped out the verse numbers. see image

From your regex code, you have much more regex knowledge and expertise than I do. Is there a way to exclude the last number in the reference? Or to split the reference from the text?
Attachments
TW _ stipping out verse numbers in spreadsheet.jpg
TW _ stipping out verse numbers in spreadsheet.jpg (398.45 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

I missed a "+", which LibreOffice requires. It should actually be a "+?" to explicity tell it to be "ungreedy" in selecting and not include the space. To remove all references and numbers, try:
(^[A-Za-z0-9]+? [0-9]+:[0-9\-]+ |[0-9]+ | \| [A-Z]+ \|)

If you wish to keep the references, try searching for:
(^[A-Za-z0-9]+? [0-9]+:[0-9\-]+ )|([0-9]+ )|( \| [A-Z]+ \|)

And replace with:
$1

The () put the search into groups.
the | tells it to search using "or" [e.g., (this) or (this) or (this)].
The $1 tells it to replace the search with the contents of the first group if found.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

mathetes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:26 pm To remove all references and numbers, try:

And replace with:
$1
Thanks. I have found that amongst coders, like you, there's always one or more who are very responsive and helpful, like you.

The 2nd (longer) code worked great in LO Calc, LO Writer, or NoteTab Pro. It left the reference intact and removed all verse numbers from the text.

If I understand the original problem, this looks like a useful answer.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

mathetes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:26 pm To remove all references and numbers, try:

And replace with:
$1
Just one more issue. In cases of a number+space in front of a book name (eg: 2 John) - the longer code strips out the preceding number. (I did not try the shorter code.) Would that be hard to fix?