Liddell Lexicon on Wine in Linux

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
linuxppcguy

Liddell Lexicon on Wine in Linux

Post by linuxppcguy »

I am having problems with the Liddell Scott Jones lexicon. It seems to work but in the right column with the various word choices I am getting a box character instead of the Greek words. In the left box I see the definitions and the Greek characters.

I saw one answer that said under the module properties select the option for using the fonts that are defined in the module to no avail. I have tried the other option and changing the Greek font but that doesn't help.

I suspect the module is requiring a font that isn't installed on wine in my system. does anyone know the correct font or how to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.
JG

Re: Liddell Lexicon on Wine in Linux

Post by JG »

Hi, sorry I don't have much experience with this os, but this thread appears to answer your question?

http://forum.theword.gr/viewtopic.php?p=7059#p7059

Jon
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
linuxppcguy

Post by linuxppcguy »

JG - I appreciate your reply but unfortunately I have tried that and it didn't work. I believe I need the fond that Liddell uses loaded into my wine installation. I just don't know which font that is at the present.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Can you pls specify the 'right and left box'? I am not sure.
There is a list with the topics (that can be toggled on/off) and the actual content (the explanation/definition): which one do you refer to?
Costas
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

Install the Dejavu font and with a text editor open the english.lng file and change the font line to font=Dejavu Serif. Be sure to remove the # sign at the beginning of the line.
linuxppcguy

Post by linuxppcguy »

Costas - It was the topics area.

Mathetes - your suggestion fixed it. Thanks
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

just to clarify: the issue here is that the default wine system font will not support polytonic greek. The addition in the .lng file forces this font to be used instead of the system font,
Costas
linuxppcguy

Post by linuxppcguy »

I suspected that was the case and I would probably have figured this out eventually but everyones quick response helped me solve this.

Wine has a few quirks but it does a reasonable job of allowing us Linux folks run windows software when we have to.

This is an excellent piece of software. Thanks for all the work.
Wimn

Post by Wimn »

A screenshot of The Word 3.1.0.1004 LSJ Lexicon fixed.
Attachments
The Word.png
The Word.png (202.48 KiB) Viewed 5606 times