For translators, edit a Bible module within theWord

Ideas and suggestions about new features
paul1149

For translators, edit a Bible module within theWord

Post by paul1149 »

I'm translating the NT, and it occurred to me how nice it would be to be able to write and edit a Bible module right within TW. Currently I use a text editor, and am constantly going back and forth between it, my existing text, and the parallel Greek in a synced window. Eliminating the external editor would make things immensely more efficient.

Then it occurred to me that the ability to go beyond the plain text - to add editor's marks such as for contested renderings, would really be nice.

I'm sure there are more pressing things on the table, but this would be amazing to see. It would turn TW into a powerful translation tool.

Blessings,
Paul
JG

Re: For translators, edit a Bible module within theWord

Post by JG »

As you discern, there are more important things to do.
I am not sure why typing into an editor is any different to typing into theWord in an edit view?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Rubio has developed iBiblia that works well for this purpose. Please search the forum for iBiblia it works with theWord formatbas well.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Since I posted I came up with the idea of setting my editor to always on top, shrinking it to the width of a TW Bible window, and positioning it over my main TW Bible window. It works pretty well. At least I don't have to scan to a second monitor. The advantage of having it all within TW would mainly be the sync between the windows, plus any word lookups, etc.

Jonathan - thanks, I will take a look at iBiblia.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Thanks. I did find that. It looks very interesting, especially for INTRAlinear work - a term I'd not heard of before, but like, though I'm not doing that kind of work now. The advantage of using TW is all the other windows I have synced to my Bible window - parallel versions, commentaries, dictionaries, etc, which I find indispensable.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

iBiblia can work in sync with theWord. A brother is using it to work on a custom translation. I've made some changes to iBiblia to support his workflow.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

iBiblia is excellent I recommend it.
To bring something like this into theWord kind goes outside of the range of Bible study tool. Thus something like iBiblia which is designed for this would be better.
Jacob11

Post by Jacob11 »

Paratext is the free and best for translation. It allows automatic keyboard language change when you click in that translation window when you use the keyman keyboard app.