Trouble installing new version

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
NorrinRadd

Trouble installing new version

Post by NorrinRadd »

I've downloaded and installed it twice, both times unsuccessfully.

It *appears* to install properly, but when the installation finishes and I tell it to run The Word, the version is still (according to Help > About) Version 5.0.0.0.1450.

And even though I deselect all the included add-ons, it still installs at least some of them, and slightly messes up my set-up.
JG

Re: Trouble installing new version

Post by JG »

If we already have theWord installed then we would not upgrade by using the "Main English package" or any of the others, but just the last one in the list to avoid overwriting of resources and unnecessary download.
002210.jpg
002210.jpg (33.27 KiB) Viewed 3340 times

Upgrade.jpg
Upgrade.jpg (121.03 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

I'm obviously missing something.

I go to the "Packages" page -- https://www.theword.net/index.php?downl ... &l=english

I choose the bottom item, "Upgrade package (4.5MB)
Get this package only if you are upgrading from a previous build of the official version 3."

When I actually download it, it shows up as 7.0 MB, not 4.5 MB.

When I'm installing, the info page shows Copyright 2003-2022.

But when I run it as the closing step after installing, Help > About still shows Version 5.0.0.1450, with Copyright 2003-2015.
JG

Post by JG »

The size is ok, the site info is wrong.

Maybe it is being directed to the Windows VirtualStore.

You can check if it is there. Just put this path in FileExplorer bar, and press enter. It should take you to the VirtualStore folder. Just checking to see if that is where it is.

Code: Select all

%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore
Or in the properties of the install file, check the box to Unblock the file, and install again.
Properties.jpg
Properties.jpg (140.26 KiB) Viewed 3328 times
Or instead of running theWord at the end of the installation, take a note of the install path and use FileExplorer to run the theword.exe file directly.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
JG

Post by JG »

Also can you make a note of the installation path, that it is going to where you have the current theword.exe file
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

During the installation, the path that shows up in the little box is the correct path.

The "Unblock" suggestion made no difference.

The new shortcut created on my desktop points to the correct location, but it is still the old file.

After the installation completes, there is only one version of theword.exe on my system -- the old one.
JG

Post by JG »

What is your operating system?
What Anti-Virus do you run?

I think that if all else fails I will give you the two necessary files in a .zip and you can replace the theword.exe and english.lng files directly.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

JG wrote:What is your operating system?
What Anti-Virus do you run?
Windows 7 64-bit.

Microsoft Security Essentials + Threat Fire.

This is so crazy!

I will note that near the beginning of the installation, right after I give Windows 7 UAC permission to run the Setup program, a small box of text appears for just an instant -- literally a small fraction of a second. I have no idea what it says. By all appearances, the installation proceeds normally, with no error messages. The progress bar does pause for a very long time near the very end of the installation. I pressed the button to expand the Details, but ATM I don't recall what that step was. But it eventually completes with no error messages.
I think that if all else fails I will give you the two necessary files in a .zip and you can replace the theword.exe and english.lng files directly.
Before we try that, I'm going to try installing on an old refurb desktop I have here.

It's really not a huge deal, because the old version works fine. At this point it's mostly a stubborn refusal to accept defeat.

Thanks for the help!
JG

Post by JG »

The small box of text that appears is just a note for Windows 8.1 users telling them to be patient while the program install is being checked by the OS. For Windows 8.1 users there was quite a long wait that made it look like the install had frozen.

I am guessing that your Anti-Virus is silently blocking.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

I disabled both AV programs and nothing changed.

I fired up the refurb desktop and installed there with no difficulties at all. Not even any long pauses. And that system uses the same AV programs. Weird.

Which files do I need to manually transfer from the desktop to the laptop?
JG

Post by JG »

theword.exe, english.lng
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software