Install: Compact or Standard

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
Doctordavet

Install: Compact or Standard

Post by Doctordavet »

Gentlemen,

I've just upgraded to a faster laptop; working on installing TW. I've always used the standard installation; but am curious about the compact. The idea of having all of my TW files (can you say "config.ini") in one place for easy backups is quite appealing.

So, question: is there any downside to running TW in compact mode? Does it slow performance down?

PS - I'll be begging for help shortly with bring over all of the premium modules....
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
jonathangkoehn

Re: Install: Compact or Standard

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Compact is personally what I use plus I have it on my OneDrive which is nice. Though I pause OneDrive until I am done working in tW since the config doesnt get the time it needs with OneDivr, GoogleDrive works a bit better.

Jon ideas on speed difference?
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
JG

Post by JG »

I have multiple Compact 'USB flash drive mode' installs, on my desktop for beta testing, and a main install that is not for beta testing. In this scenario I don't see any speed difference. Only thing to understand is upgrading tW and remembering to point it (the installer) at the correct folder and to do it for the main install and compact.
As regards the premium resources, you will need to download and install them and then unlock them. Some packages are a bundle with one unlock key for the modules in that bundle, so copying modules across and using the unlock key won't work.
As regards backup. I don't backup my tW files specifically, I image (Acronis Drive Image,(other backup software also exists)) the whole drive at least once per month so that when the hard drive does go south, I can simply restore the whole drive as it was before any virus or hard drive failure, so minimal loss, as my important files are on OneDrive, which I backup more often on to an external media.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

Thanks, Fellas.

If I am ever to attempt a different installation (standard vs. compact), now is the time. Since there seems to be no performance issues, I'm going to start with the compact install. If I don't like what happens, I will uninstall and do the standard. I will try to remember to report back here my impressions later on.

Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate your ministry in my life.

Dave
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com