Help making Resources

Discussions related to the "ToTheWord" 3rd party tool that is used to generate modules for theWord
jonathangkoehn

Help making Resources

Post by jonathangkoehn »

There have been various requests to make resources.
TotheWord is designed around this and can be used for many many resources infact many official resources are made using it.
It helps speed up the development process.
If you have a resource that doesn't require copyright permission how about you try building it using TotheWord.
You can import almost any text and use the regex rule system to build it.
Also you can import Microsoft Word document resources and use the interface to build it using the tags that are explained in the interface.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Re: Help making Resources

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Help in TotheWord (TTW) has several sections:
-------------
Regex Help (An area explaining Regex use in general put together by Costas)
Regex Options (An area explaining Regex options that are used in Regex rules and Find/Replace)
--------------
Book Editor Help (An area explaining about building books in the Book Editor)
Special Open Help (An advanced area for building books using Regex Rules in the Book Editor)
Book Module Specifications (An area that explains the internals of Book modules by Costas)
--------------
Bible Editor Help (An area explaining building Bibles in the Bible Editor)
Bible Module Specifications (An area that explains the internals of Bible modules by Costas)
--------------
Regex Editor Help (An area explaining Regex editor rules and how to make them. Requires knowledge of Regex)
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
Jacob11

Post by Jacob11 »

What is this TotheWord? and where are those help material. I just checked your google drive files it shows couple of zip files "TotheWord-D1.9.4aFull.zip" what are they? I only have theWord Importer. I would love to have some video tutorials about building a bible module. You should make videos of good quality for increasing their use.
JG

Post by JG »

There is an old video and much of the help is in the program itself.
https://forum.theword.net/viewtopic.php?p=44568#p44568

The program changes so often. It was just provided here as is, for anyone to dig into themselves. The video did not include Bible modules.
There is no time for tutoring, you either get it or you don't.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

Jacob11 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:35 pm What is this TotheWord? and where are those help material. I just checked your google drive files it shows couple of zip files "TotheWord-D1.9.4aFull.zip" what are they? I only have theWord Importer.
It is a tool for advanced power users. It is much easier to use than trying to build a sqlite database for the module yourself, but competent usage will require a willingness to engage in much trial and error, along with the ability to learn and research new things, such as how to do regex searches. Example files are included in the zip file. These can help you learn the basics.
I would love to have some video tutorials about building a bible module. You should make videos of good quality for increasing their use.
This is free software, anyone is welcome to dig in and learn and then teach others.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

As one who has started using totheWord, for anyone that is interested. I would suggest downloading the tool and look in the examples file. There are a couple of files to work with. Learning the tool comes a little at a time, however when you learn one step it affects the entire document, so learning a step has a high impact on the entire document. There are many websites that explains Regex find one that makes the most sense and use it. The totheWord tool is extremely powerful and saves so much time.
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

For learning regex, I would highly recommend https://regex101.com/ this thing is AMAZING. It's a whole regex development and testing environment with documentation provided. I've had to use this more than once to figure out what I was doing with regexes.

Also, this tip is a bit more "out there" but if you happen to know Vim already, you can "preprocess" your modules in Vim first and then finish them up in TotheWord. I find Vim a bit easier to use for some advanced processing because of it's "highlight as you go" feature that shows you exactly what your regex matches, whereas with TotheWord you have to be very careful what you tell it to do and even then there's a bit of a "well here we go, hope this works" involved with running most regexes. Also a botched regex is easier to undo in Vim than in TotheWord. That being said, Vim is an insanely complex tool and I wouldn't recommend trying to learn it just to use it as a companion tool. I just happened to learn Vim as part of my other work and so it stood out as useful to me.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Yes, https://regex101.com/ is an excellent website. Make sure it is set with Delphi PCRE2 if it doesn't have that setting go for PCRE2 or PCRE.

As Arraybolt3 put it regexes are whew complex.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

arraybolt3 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:21 am Also a botched regex is easier to undo in Vim than in TotheWord.
For those who want to venture outside of what TotheWord offers, pre-processing can also be automated through scripting. That way, if the output isn't correct, the computer can output a new document automatically after whatever needed adjustments are made to the script. This helps in a case where a source document might get updated, especially where changes can be major. Instead of having to go through everything manually all over again to pre-process a document so that it's ready for TotheWord, you just run the script. Of course, TotheWord has the capability to run a set of regex searches, but if the document creation is complex, then a lot can be done by scripting.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

The background color of the TotheWord editor window can be changed by changing the settings in the Background and Background Color menu items. But how do I get the color to stay? When the document is saved or a module is built, it reverts back to what looks to be the active title bar color.

Windows 7
TotheWord 1.9.8a
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

This is by design. To avoid the accidental introduction of white background to a topic which will mess up theWord.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I may look into letting this be changed in the future, I understand some would like different colors.
JG

Post by JG »

Could this be sanitised at build as is done for any residual detection yellow markup?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

jonathangkoehn wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:41 pm I may look into letting this be changed in the future, I understand some would like different colors.
Since the color is tied to the background color of a Windows component, the text could be unreadable.
Last edited by mathetes on Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.