Grammatical construct Advance search morphology & syntax, annotation

Ideas and suggestions about new features
Jacob11

Grammatical construct Advance search morphology & syntax, annotation

Post by Jacob11 »

It will be absolutely amazing if TW can start the linguistic annotation search, and syntax by using opentext linguistic annotation or something as done in the Marvel bible https://marvel.bible/index.php?text=MAB&b=43&c=1&v=13

You can have morphological search, if not the linguistic annotation, by allowing search by morphological codes. You already have morphological tags in Greek bibles, we can search by word lemma in Greek by strong's numbers. If we add morph search with the Strongs number or Greek lemma, to have an easier feature then it can be done.

For example, I want to search syntax references of "substantive + passive verb + article + participle". Or "passive + substantive".

The search can be incorporated into English versions by providing a secondary bible in search results, since English versions dont have morph codes. We will need a secondary english version in sults which shows parallel results from Greek bible search in the search window.

biblearc.com site had this feature in a very easy graphical way, but it's no longer free.
jonathangkoehn

Re: Grammatical construct Advance search morphology & syntax, annotation

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greeting Jacob,
Have you tried m/N-* AND m/V-?P* AND m /T-* AND m/V-??P-*
On a Bible tagged with morphology?

Which is nominative (substantive), passive verb, article, and participle
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
Jacob11

Post by Jacob11 »

jonathangkoehn wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:48 pm Greeting Jacob,
Have you tried m/N-* AND m/V-?P* AND m /T-* AND m/V-??P-*
On a Bible tagged with morphology?

Which is nominative (substantive), passive verb, article, and participle

Jonathan, thank you, I am surprised there's an option to search morph based results. I don't use the search string the way I should be, and I never thought about reading the Help page for strings and it looked unnecessary or complex when I saw it long ago then forgot. Your string has some errors but this one works m/N-N* AND m/V-??P* AND m/T-* AND m/V-?P* (nominative noun, passive verb, article, participle). But the word order is random. Double quotes dont work in this kind of string. How to fix the word order?

You should really make video tutorials to make this feature more usable. I am sure many dont know about it as well. Videos are the best.

I notice this following string in the help is reversed. It will not show Jesus Christ but "Christ Jesus" - Needs to be updated
· Jesus.*Christ will match a verse that contains the words Jesus and Christ in that given order. Notice that the .* sequence means: . (dot) means any character, * (star) means this character any number of times. So the sequence .* matches every sequence of characters. So, in order for a verse to match this given phrase, the words Jesus + <any number of characters> + Christ shall be matched.
I will get the word order tomorrow.
Jacob11

Post by Jacob11 »

the dot should be on the last word of the string so that all sequence of word is searched. But it doesnt work on the morph codes

m/N-N* m/V-??P* m/T-* m/V-?P* (I have tried the dot after in every place possible)
HELP :roll:
Jacob11

Post by Jacob11 »

Same issue as this topic from 2021. https://forum.theword.net/viewtopic.php?p=42868
You replied it doesn't work on morph codes. This is very disheartening coz as he said, if this worked then theWord would have been way better than Logos coz even logos dont have such search. This is highly needed. Kindly introduce this feature. It seems so easy to be created. Just like "Jesus Christ(dot)" string, it should work for word ordering. Right now it just randomly shows the words in the morph code search :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( .

You can also introduce graphical selection box to create string as it is in biblearc site to make it easier.
JG

Post by JG »

Many feature seem easy to implement, but the reality is different.
If another program is better suited to your needs then my advise is to use that program.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet