Greek OT Septuagint & Byzantine 2005 NT Available

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
mathetes

Greek OT Septuagint & Byzantine 2005 NT Available

Post by mathetes »

Attached to this message is a module for the Greek NT Byzantine Textform compiled by Robinson & Pierpont along with the Greek OT Septuagint. The text is unaccented. This module contains the Strong's numbers and morphology codes. The NT also contains the marginal variants found in the Robinson/Pierpont edition of the NT as footnotes and can be toggled with the "F" key. The alternate reading for the Pericope Adulterae found in John 8 can be toggled by using the "G" key. The source file for the 2005 edition of the Byzantine text can be found at http://www.byztxt.com/downloads.html/ .

In order to get the file compressed to a small enough size to be able to upload it with this message I needed to use 7zip. For MS Windows users you can find the extractor for this file type at http://www.7-zip.org/. For Linux users it should be part of your distribution.
Attachments
Greek+ OT Septuagint & NT Byzantine Textform 2005.7z
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 695 times
Last edited by mathetes on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
UBC4ME

Re: Greek OT Septuagint & Byzantine 2005 NT Available

Post by UBC4ME »

An error in Gen 1:1?

(Gen 1:1) εν G1722 PREP G1722 αρχη G746 N-DSF εποιησεν G4160 V-AAI-3S ο G3588 T-NSM θεος G2316 N-NSM τον G3588 T-ASM ουρανον G3772 N-ASM και G2532 CONJ την G3588 T-ASF γην G1065 N-ASF

Duplication "G1722 PREP G1722"? Not a big deal, but just jumped out at me.
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

(John 1:1) ​εν G1722 PREP αρχη G746 N-DSF ην G2258 G5713 V-IXI-3S ο G3588 T-NSM λογος G3056 N-NSM και G2532 CONJ ο G3588 T-NSM λογος G3056 N-NSM ην G2258 G5713 V-IXI-3S προς G4314 PREP τον G3588 T-ASM θεον G2316 N-ASM και G2532 CONJ θεος G2316 N-NSM ην G2258 G5713 V-IXI-3S ο G3588 T-NSM λογος G3056 N-NSM

G5713? ἄπιστος = unfaithful, unbelieving?
Dave
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

I don't know where the extra numbers would come from. I don't see them in my view. The Septuagint comes from the official module on The Word download site so you can compare it with that. You can open the module with a text editor and look at each line. John 1:1 is line 26046 and in my program ην shows a strong's number of G5610. You can also check the source file from the link I gave in the original message. Do you have version 3.1 of The Word. The only thing I can think of is with an older version the new verse rules for hidden links are doing something.
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

mathetes,
Yes i have TW 3.1 and as you can see in my copy/paste it is there. Strange that it shows in mine but not yours.
Dave
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

This is quite strange. This occurs some 471 times in the NT module. The really strange thing is i can not find a Strong's entry for G5713, only G571 which is ἄπιστος. Another thing i found is it almost always follows ην. Doing some looking around, i found an entry for G5713 in the TV module which shows the tence, voice, and mood for given words. Scratching my head...
Dave
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

Open the file up in a text editor and see if it is correct. John 1:1 is line 26046.

I think I may have figured out what may be happening. I gave my module the short name of Grk+. Do you have another module with that name? It may be getting confused with another module.
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

I see what you mean. If anyone else sees the same thing it would be nice to know. I also uninstalled the KJV+TVM and the associated dictionary thinking it may in some be causing it, but it is still there.
Dave
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

Well, this just doesn't seem to be my day at all, and perhaps i need to stop posting! lol I think i found the problem. I have two different modules and was mixing them up. I have:

Greek+ OT Septuagint & NT Byzantine Text form 2005
Greek LXX and Byzantine Majority With Strong's and Morphological tags

Greek+ OT Septuagint & NT Byzantine Text form 2005 seems to be ok.
Greek LXX and Byzantine Majority With Strong's and Morphological tags seems to have issues.

With that being said, i apologize for the confusion and will go back to my corner and be quite :)
Dave
mathetes

Re: Greek OT Septuagint & Byzantine 2005 NT Avalable

Post by mathetes »

*NOTE* The file attached to the original message has been updated due to some extraneous brackets that were mistakenly left in the alternate Greek text when I was cleaning up the original source.

In trying to figure out what was happening in the situation mentioned in the previous messages I noticed something else. In John 1:1 most modules list ην as having Strong's number 2258 but the 2005 edition of the Byzatine textform lists it as 1510. In checking this out I found that the "New Analytical Greek Lexicon" by Wesley Perschbacher does list it as 1510. The site where I got the source looks to be maintained by the publisher for the Robinson/Pierpont Byzantine Textform and for additional reading you can read this article from their website concerning the morphology codes and Strong's numbers where the situation with this word is discussed: http://www.byztxt.com/download/PARSINGS.TXT

And that brings up a little problem that I noticed with the 3.1 version of The Word. Underneath Bible View Options - Word Click Options, something does not seem to be working the way it should when all the options in that window are enabled. When the links are being hidden and the word "ην" is clicked on it will look up "nv" under number 2258 instead of looking up the actual Strong's number. The "actual word being click on" (as a side note that should be "clicked") is the last option in the list. The option "Perform the lookup on all checked items" is also enabled BUT the text below it indicates that the lookup will only proceed to the next option if the first option is not available. That is evidently incorrect as the strong's number exists but it goes through all the items anyway. In order for it to get the correct entry I have to turn off the option for "the actual word being click on".
JG

Post by JG »

Hi,
have you noticed in the file that places where you have toggle text don't get covered by the first verse rule in the file, it will miss cases such as
και<WG2532><WTCONJ> | επορευθη<WG4198><WTV-AOI-3S> <Q>[απηλθεν<WG565><WTV-2AAI-3S>]<q> εκαστος<WG1538><WTA-NSM> εις<WG1519><WTPREP> τον<WG3588><WTT-ASM> οικον<WG3624><WTN-ASM> αυτου<WG846><WTP-GSM>

because the rule is looking for a start of line or a space.
Do you agree?

Jon
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

What verse are you looking at?
JG

Post by JG »

John 7:53

Line 26382 in the file
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

I changed the verse rule and hopefully that didn't cause any more problems. I also moved the verses that were at Romans 15:1-3 (at the end of Romans 14 in the printed text) to the end of Romans 16 to match the standard verse location. This also matches with the official Byzantine module. I put in the footnotes that changes were made from the original. Download the updated module from the attachment in the original message.
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Thank you, Mathetes. Just discovered this. A very nice step forward!