How do you import HTML from the Internet?

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
maney

How do you import HTML from the Internet?

Post by maney »

how do you import HTML from the Internet?
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Donations

Post by csterg »

copy paste.
Use MS Word as intermediate to preserve formatting or Internet Explore
Costas
maney

Post by maney »

ms word doesn't preserve the format. So far I have been copying and pasting into Google docs then copying and pasting that into OpenOffice and then pasting into TW. But after all of that I still have to go through the document and fix areas which didn't format properly. Thanks for the reply though, I guess I'll just have to spend the twenty or thirty minutes correcting the document.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

maney wrote:ms word doesn't preserve the format. So far I have been copying and pasting into Google docs then copying and pasting that into OpenOffice and then pasting into TW. But after all of that I still have to go through the document and fix areas which didn't format properly. Thanks for the reply though, I guess I'll just have to spend the twenty or thirty minutes correcting the document.
I am sure it does work properly! And i think OO will also do the trick. Use Internet Explorer as your source browser, not firefox or some other.
Costas
maney

Post by maney »

Sorry about this, I should clarify. When copying a document from the Internet, the format, when pasted into openoffice, stays basically the same. However after every bullet or space between sentences there is a gray square or a small gray rectangle. When copying the document from openoffice into TW the gray squares turn into four or five X with a square around it. The formatting I have to do is deleting all of these squared X's and thats what takes so long. Sorry if I wasn't clear to begin with. I have tried copying from IE, Firefox, and chrome, and I've pasted into openoffice with the same results. I've tried pasting into Microsoft word and none of the formatting stays. The only way I've found of minimizing the gray boxes is by copying a document from the Internet, pasting into Google docs, and pasting that into openoffice. But this method messes up the formatting as well and I have to spend time correcting it.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

You might also try using WordPad. I have noticed that it sometimes retains formatting better than Word or OpenOffice.

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This is a special case that maybe you cannot avoid; there must be something special to the source document,
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Hi, to not display the grey boxes, it is just an option to tun off in OO.
As for the bullets issue, it would be useful to know the web page.

NBS.jpg
NBS.jpg (49.41 KiB) Viewed 5628 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
maney

Post by maney »

I've figured it out. In openoffice I copied a square gray box, went to edit find and replace, pasted in the square gray box and replaced it with nothing. This solves my formatting issues. I just thought I'd post this in case someone else ever had this issue.
maney

Post by maney »

@JG
sorry I didn't see your post before I replied. The website is http://www.enduringword.com/commentaries/4001.htm I know this is David Guzik's commentary and I know there is a module for it but the online commentary has been updated and is far superior to the existing module. So I want to create an updated David Guzik commentary with the updated info on his website. Thanks for the help though.
JG

Post by JG »

Hi, is it ok when you change the module to none user mode?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
maney

Post by maney »

do you mean when I change the module to allow user modification? I've done this three times and only one module became corrupted, thats why I always keep a backup of the module I'm altering. For the David Guzik module I'm finding it easier just to recreate the module from scratch. If I just updated the module I would have to read the website, then read the module to see where they were different. By creating it from scratch I just have to copy and paste the info into the new module. Now that the formatting issues are resolved, by the way thank you for the openoffice fix, its much faster.
maney

Post by maney »

There back????
The X with a square boxes are gone from openoffice but when I copy and paste from OO into TW , they reappear? I don't understand. After I implemented the fix they were gone but now there reappearing. Any ideas?
JG

Post by JG »

Hi, there is some issue in the bookview, I think, but not sure why.

So, you see from the example that you have given, where the bullets are, that they are in Symbol font. I have found that I can paste the example page with the bullets to OO then change the font to Arial for all the text, so it is using the same font. The next step is important, you need to save the file and reopen it. Then copy/paste into theWord. Does this solve your issue. I don't know if there might also be an issue with OO?

I might move this post, to it's own topic at some point.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
maney

Post by maney »

I've tried your suggestion and it didn't work. The gray squares still appear in The Word. I'm using the Linux version of OO, I don't know if that makes a difference. I've gone back to what I was doing before. I re-enabled non-breaking spaces; because for some reason the gray boxes were still there, I just couldn't see them. I then copied from http://www.enduringwords.com and pasted into OO, I then did a find and replace for the gray squares. Open Office found all of the gray squares and I replaced them with nothing. This seems to work although I don't understand why your first suggestion stopped working. When I first tried your first suggestion it worked great. However after I closed open office and re-opened it it just stopped working.