Installation on smartphone

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
j_hance143

Installation on smartphone

Post by j_hance143 »

I'm wondering if anyone has found it possible to install and use The Word on a portable device such as a cell phone. I know the program wasn't specifically designed for mobile use, but perhaps someone out there knows of a method one could use to alter it for such a use. I'm not computer illiterate, but I'm no programmer either, so simple, clear, and precise instruction if possible would be greatly appreciated.

- John Hance
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Installation on smartphone

Post by csterg »

Hi John,
i am afraid this is not feasible; technically these platforms are very different (just thing of the screen and how theWord would fit there !)
Costas
j_hance143

Post by j_hance143 »

Thanks, Costas, for your quick reply. A little sad that it won't work like I'd hoped. Have you considered making a mobile version of it for that application? Or perhaps an Android app that would do the same thing...? Keep up the great work. I'm blessed to be using your software.

- John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

j_hance143 wrote:Thanks, Costas, for your quick reply. A little sad that it won't work like I'd hoped. Have you considered making a mobile version of it for that application? Or perhaps an Android app that would do the same thing...? Keep up the great work. I'm blessed to be using your software.

- John
Thank you Jon.
It's under consderation, I would probably need to find a way to partner somehow with an existing base or something...
Costas
willbmi

Post by willbmi »

yer there are a few mobile versions just for reading the bible:

Costas is even mentioned in the credits for the first one which works on Windows Mobile 6: BerBible.

another one which comes as a free version is OliveTree.

but eh! unless you are in the dark, or searching for a verse, a small bible is usually better in my opinion.
j_hance143

Post by j_hance143 »

Thanks, willbmi. I'll look for those (and perhaps others?) when I get my smartphone.
rojen

Post by rojen »

I used to use e-sword on my wince phone. But wince 5.0 was the last fully function device I could get it to work on. It still works on my Omnia II WinCE 6.5 I think, but its a bit buggy. The hot linking is totally gone, which I used to love.

On my android phone I have Bible.is. Minimal functions; txt and audio bibles in several versions.
Daily Bible which is online crosswalk.
YouVersion Holy Bible, which supports at least 11 offline versions of the Bible; plus reading plans, notes, and a few other things. No dictionaries, books, or commentaries.
AcroBible lite which has the best touch screen for locating specific scriptures (imo), but its King James only nothing but the Bible. I have not looked at the paid version yet - only the free lite version.
CadreBible has the most features; including bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, reading plans, and a couple of books. I am very fat fingered and because of that I sometimes struggle to get it to pull up exactly what I want. Otherwise it would be a decent choice. If I could use a stylus with the touch screen I could probably be able to use it a lot better.
There are several java bibles which makes sense, platform independent. But, I never got any to work. Seems all my devices past and present have odd tweaked Java installs.

I agree this would be a great area for development. Your phone is pretty much always with you, so your bible would be too. n the past this was my most read Bible.

You can easily get the bible free as MP3 and listen. I do that a lot too.

Ron
j_hance143

Post by j_hance143 »

Thanks, Ron. What an overwhelming selection! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use any audio bible. Somehow I think hearing others read it to me would lead me to tune it out rather than listen. Just one of my many idiosyncrasies, I'm sure. To each his own; I know many folks whose opinions on the matter are opposed to my own. I'll be sure to give each selection you suggested its due deliberation and examination when the time comes. I appreciate your input.

- John
ZionDove

Post by ZionDove »

If you have an iPhone you may be very interested in the Blue Letter Bible application created for that platform. I bought a used iPhone just for that purpose and have not been disappointed. If you love the Scriptures then you want to have them with you all the time in one form or another. A digital Bible has many advantages, and a servant of God might as well take something good out of the thorns. The Word software at home and the B.L.B. app on the go!

"A Psalm of David. The earth is the LORD'S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein." (Psalm 24:1)
j_hance143

Post by j_hance143 »

I got my HTC EVO 4G a couple of weeks ago and downloaded several bible apps from the market, but the best one I've come across is without a doubt Cadre Bible. Thanks again, Ron, for the suggestions! It doesn't have all the features I love about the Word program, so should a mobile version of the Word come out I'll quickly trade up, but for now Cadre is doing the job nicely.

Thanks for all the suggestions and input.

- John
SolitaryWay

Post by SolitaryWay »

Everybody needs a Jonathan and two are better than one. If the Word was on a mobile platform, then I am sure that it would be groundbreaking. Until then Blue Letter's offering is the one for me. It has the Royal King James and the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge available even offline. You just can't beat it if you happen to have an Apple phone. Or at least I have not seen anything that comes near it.

I'm still holding out hope for something as creative and flexible as the Word's software one day. Right now I am just glad that I have my Bible with me everywhere I go. Backlit.
Obelixus

Post by Obelixus »

I know a solution of a bible software called "onlinebible" (http://www.onlinebible.org/html/eng/index.htm), which actually I am using on my HTC HD2 with WinMobProf 6.5. This software has nothing to do with online, it is absolutely offline :D . I know, that this software on the pc is quit old fashion due the User-interface. And in comparing-tests it is often on the last places, due the missing new windows User-interface. But the sources of Bibles, Dictonarys etc. it is quit top! So there is also an version for PPC! And this solution includes Strong Hebrew-English, Strong Greek-English or the same for German or even French. You can run the whole stuff of the PC Version, on the PPC as well. Have a look on http://www.onlinebible.org/html/eng/index.htm. Of course for some moduls you must pay a small amount, but it is the money far worth.

Of course it is on the PC not comparable what the User-interface of theWord. But for the sources, and the possibility for PPC very nice.
zhage

Post by zhage »

Hi Smartphone lovers. Although it is a tremendous temptation to make the TOOL into a TOY, the fact that Bibles are available is good. Regarding options: Here is another one. You can download the Logos iPhone App for free! It comes with 30 resources, and if you register for free you gain access to another 30. Obviously they want you to buy books and commentaries too, but you do not have to. (If you have bought Logos 4 it would automatically sync with your resources you have on your desktop, so that you can access those as well.)
There is even an option for offline reading. Download and save them to your iPhone and you can access them any place without Wi-Fi too. Just check out the screenshots in the App store inside the iTunes program.
For more info:
http://www.logos.com/mobile/iphone
http://blog.logos.com/archives/2010/01/ ... n_122.html

PS This is just FYI; I do not have an iPhone, but the reviews are good and it is free.
ἐκεῖνον δεῖ αὐξάνειν, ἐμὲ δὲ ἐλαττοῦσθαι.
yohan_y

Post by yohan_y »

Hi.. :D

I've just create free open source application to read bibles offline on Android.

My application can read subset of theword .ont (un-encrypted) bible file.
This means not all of theword bible file can be read on my application, but every bible file that can be read by my application can be open with theword application.

If anyone interested, you can download my application here: http://slideme.org/en/application/openbibles

Thanks...
Last edited by yohan_y on Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

yohan_y wrote:I've just create free open source application to read bibles offline on Android.
Way to go, brother! I'm looking forward to the future of this project. What a convenience to use theWord bible files directly on the Android phone. Keep up with the good work. Here are some relevant features I would like to see next, all of them quite easy to implement, I think:
- <FI> tag support;
- visual distinction for selected verse, maybe a different background color;
- visual distinction for section titles (<TS> tags), maybe bold font and/or a different color.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil