theWord 4 for MAC

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
nospam2k

FYI For the hacker at heart TW 4 Mac

Post by nospam2k »

I am a bit of a hacker and I just got a macbook pro and have been looking for a bible app comparable to TW. THERE IS NONE. Absolutely none. I've tried many (so please don't recommend ;) ).

I really didn't want to use WINE based window apps (like TW) but alas, I had no choice.

I stumbled upon a combination that makes it 99% usable on a mac INCLUDING CUTTING AND PASTING. This is the part I'm not sure of. Sometimes is just won't work and then 10 minutes later it does. Normally it just works without delay. I've tried several combinations of things but can't get it. HOWEVER. I didn't need to install Xquartz either. Like I said 99% of the time EVERYTHING WORKS. I'd say 1 out of 7 times I start TW I have the cut-paste problem.

What I did was download the "Mac" version of WordSearch Basic, which is a another wine wrapper Windows App. I then deleted the word search files and put TheWord files in and it worked great. PLEASE DON'T ASK ME HOW I DID IT. There was some trial and error and I didn't keep exact track of the procedure. For practical hacktivation, I believe you can literally go to the directory inside where the WordSearch files are, delete them and copy the whole TW directory inside using the same root folder name and rename the word.exe to wordsearch.exe (I think) and it should work but it say word search in various places. From there you can hack a little deeper I'm really sorry I didn't but just haven't wanted to take the time to redo it. That's why I called this an FYI for hackers. You should have some working knowledge of WINE and Wine Bottle (I think that was the name of the original project that WordSearch uses). I hope this helps someone. Personally, I would LOVE to port The Word to a Mac native app, but as the source code is not publicly available, I'm going to write my own but it will be a long while.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: theWord 4 for MAC

Post by csterg »

Thank you for the post which might be helpful for others.
Just one comment for porting: unfortunately the complexity is much bigger than you can imagine. So big that it doesn't make sense to port theWord to MAC. I understand that Wine is not the perfect solution, but i think it is totally acceptable.
Costas
adman

Post by adman »

Hi I just wanna know how to install theWord´s complements on MAC , I´ve already install the software, now haow i instal the bibles, dictonaries and othe languages. Please help!
Oakd2k

Post by Oakd2k »

To install modules:
1. Go to website and download what you want
2. Drag file from download folder to desktop on your Mac.
3. Open Word, go to File, go to install module
4. Navigate to the desktop and highlight your choice
5. The installer will do the rest
ROMS

Post by ROMS »

WillysJeepMan wrote:Greetings all!

Using Wineskin Winery, I had created a single standalone executable to run eSword under OSX. No need to have XQuartz or WINE installed (they're included and configured within this standalone file). So after experimenting with TheWord, I decided that I wanted to create a similar executable. Within 10 minutes, I had one up and running.
Would you mind sharing the Wineskin Winery Executable you created to run TW...I'm having a challenge getting this to work on my MAC mini OS X 10.10...thank you
eyermatt5683

Post by eyermatt5683 »

The Word works great on my Macbook Pro! Thank you!

I used xQuartz, and am running El Capitan. Copying and pasting works fine, too. It took me a little bit to figure it out, though. You have to use windows commands while in TheWord, and Mac commands elsewhere. Control-c and Control-V for copying or pasting within TheWord, and Command-c or Command-v elsewhere.

Correction: In order to paste from TheWord into another Mac program, I have to first copy and paste something from a Mac program once, and then it will work properly from then on.
Tim Mitchell

Post by Tim Mitchell »

One thing that I am having trouble finding info about is deleting a module that has been installed in The Word for Mac. Is there a way to remove modules? I have been trying to use standard unix commands to locate the files in the X11 terminal, but am having no luck. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Tim.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Tim,
you just need to delete the module.
Costas
Tim Mitchell

Post by Tim Mitchell »

Sorry, I didn't mention that I was talking about a Bible module. As I understand it, a Bible module can't be deleted from inside the program. That is the reason for my question. In Windows it is easy to delete the file using windows explorer. In the Mac version it is hidden much deeper and is difficult to access as far as I can see.

Regards,
Tim.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

As far as I can remember, theWord is stored under the Library folder in MAC. This could be a hidden folder in Mac, under your user profile. There is a menu to get there. Under that, there is a wine specific folder
If you look the MAC forum, there is a post that explains how to get there
Costas
Tim Mitchell

Post by Tim Mitchell »

Thanks Costas,

I just found it! The Bible modules are stored in:

User/Library/Application Support/Wine/prefixes/theWord/drive_c/Program Files/The Word/Bibles

Because User/Library is a hidden folder on many Macs, the easiest way to access this folder is to go to finder, select "Go to folder.." from the "Go" pull down menu, then copy and paste this line into the box and select "Go" ~/Library/Application Support/Wine/prefixes/theWord/drive_c/Program Files/The Word/Bibles

You will see the directory Bibles in finder, you can now delete the appropriate Bible module.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
Tim.
Last edited by Tim Mitchell on Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Mitchell

Post by Tim Mitchell »

I have one other question about The Word for Mac. I have Syriac unicode in a Bible module running under The Word for Mac.

The Bible module displays fine in The Word running under windows 98 (The Word version 5.0.0.1450) and also displays fine in notepad on the Mac, but when I install the module on The Word for Mac I just get the rectangular boxes instead of the correct characters. I haven't defined the character set on the module because there is no Microsoft 8 bit character set designation for Syriac as far as I know. Can I use the WGL4 16 bit designation of Syriac (50) and then install a font such as Titus Cyberbit Basic? Or is there some other way that I can make it work with the current fonts installed in The Word for Mac?

Kind Regards,
Tim.
Tim Mitchell

Post by Tim Mitchell »

Update on the problem displaying Unicode Syriac in The Word for Mac. Some Unicode fonts don't contain all the character sets in the UTF-8 character group. The pre-installed fonts in The Word for Mac don't seem to include a font which contains the Syriac Unicode character set. This means that the user has to install an appropriate font such as Titus Cyberbit Basic to display Syriac. The fonts for The Word for Mac are found in user/Library/Application Support/Wine/prefixes/theWord/drive_c/windows/Fonts

For easy access go to finder, select "Go to folder.." from the "Go" pull down menu then copy and paste this line into the box and select "Go" ~/Library/Application Support/Wine/prefixes/theWord/drive_c/windows/Fonts

You will see the directory Fonts in finder. Copy your desired font, in this case TITUS-Cyberbit-Basic-Regular-8973.ttf (freely available online) into the Fonts folder and restart X11. Under The Word for Mac, select the module and then press the keys "control + O" to open the Bible view options. Select your font from the list of Bible fonts and you are good to go.

Costas, most users of The Word would prefer to be able to install a font or delete a Bible module from inside The Word. Would you be able to add this functionality to The Word in the future? This would be a big help for Mac users as access to these files is behind hidden folders.

Kind Regards,
Tim Mitchell.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Tim,
theWord will load all fonts (.ttf, .ttc, .fon) it finds in 'known' folders (e.g. where modules exist). So if you want a font to be loaded, just copy it somewhere (e.g. in your Books or Bibles folder)
Costas
Fielder

Post by Fielder »

Removing Bibles from the Word was mentioned in this thread. Yes the module for that bible needs to be deleted. Here is how to find which module file you need to delete:

Point to a Bible in the Word, i.e. the name of that Bible in the list on the main bar at the top of the program, and then right mouse click.

A submenu will appear, Click on "Info".

A window comes up, and down at the bottom it says : 'File Path'

That is the module file and its path for that particular Bible that needs to be deleted.

Go to that path in your computer's explorer and delete that one file.