Post your PREMIUM Module Requests here

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Post your PREMIUM Module Requests here

Post by csterg »

Fielder wrote:I would greatly like to have the Revised English Bible REB.
And it's (even better) predecessor the New English Bible NEB.

REB is sponsored by 15 denominations including the Church of England and the Church of Scotland. The NEB had 11. The lists are here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_English_Bible

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_English_Bible

One noted online reviewer posted that the REB would be one of his two desert island versions and "the Revised English Bible has the best overall literary quality of any modern English translation--the best since the King James Version" :

http://thislamp.com/posts/2006/7/18/the ... ons-6.html

The NEB came before its revision (REB), before the era of gender inclusiveness. The NEB is also less PC for other reasons. I consider the NEB to be one of the three all time great translations, my favorites:

Today's English Version (TEV a.k.a. GNB) has the most 'soul'.
King James Version KJV and the New English Bible NEB have the most literary merit.
The REB used to be available but it's not any more. I am not sure we will be able to get it back online since the required licensing figures are probably bigger than any profits from modules sales
Costas
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

A really good and current Bible Atlas or Map Collection. Here's a few I use in digital and/or printed format.

The Moody Bible Atlas is an excellent atlas (and is available in digital format for WORDSearch Bible).
Zondervan Bible Atlas is excellent (and available for OliveTree)
ESV Bible Atlas
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

In my opinion, that Bible atlas is nothing compared to the MacMillan Bible Atlas, by Aharoni and Avi-Yonah. It has a map for every main passage of the Bible, not full-color but two-color maps, 300 in total. If I had the time, I would scan the whole thing and make a module for my own use (It is copyright), but it has too many.

Meanwhile, there is a digital version available at a premium, and I am sure that Costas could make arrangements with the publisher to convert it and sell it. Strangely, The MacMillan Bible Atlas now has a new name. The fifth edition is now called:

Carta Bible Atlas. (2011)
By: Yohanan Aharoni, Michael Avi-Yonah, Zeev Safrai, Anson F. Rainey, R. Steven Notley
Available in Kindle edition, too.
Details here, and publisher contact info: http://store.carta-jerusalem.com/49-the ... 08149.html
I will attach two sample pages below, provided by the Publisher, although these are not quite as detailed as the typical maps inside.

Meanwhile, another delightful new publication is a giant collection of cross-references linked to specific phrases throughout the entire Bible: see the details here, and a sample page also:

The Ultimate Cross-Reference Treasury
by Jerome H. Smith
Over 900,000 Bible References, meticulously cross-linked from every verse in the Scriptures
http://estudysource.com/platform/site/p ... ?pid=C0025
Attachments
Carta Bible Atlas sample pages.zip
(678.13 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

The Ultimate Cross-Reference Treasury is a must have!
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Yes, a Bible Atlas is missing indeed. We should be getting one for sure.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

I have always dreamed of an atlas module linked to the Bible text as a commentary module, so that any place name clicked on would immediately reveal the related map. That might be complicated with most atlases, but with the Carta atlas all of the maps are already keyed to the Bible passages, so there would be no overlap, so that could be easy to accomplish. The publisher says it is already digitized for Kindle, but I wonder if the maps are at print resolution.

It is nice when the maps within any atlas module have an imbedded index that allows text searches for all place names displayed on those maps. That way we can search and find the same city on different maps of different eras. It might be nice to cross link the places whose names have changed over the centuries, even within the Bible record.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

My experience says that the data that publishers provide is not always what you would expect :( Anyway it looks like an interesting module to be honest,
Costas
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I enjoy using BDAG and was wondering if v.2 called BAGD would be possible to get.
In Christ,
Jonathan
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Do you have some more information on it?
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

ErikJon wrote:.
In my opinion, that Bible atlas is nothing compared to the MacMillan Bible Atlas, by Aharoni and Avi-Yonah. It has a map for every main passage of the Bible, not full-color but two-color maps, 300 in total.
I agree that the Carta/McMillan is an excellent collection, but have you considered that their market is more towards the professional cartographer, and the price reflects that? The ones I named are excellent in presentation and accuracy, and reasonably priced in both print and digital format.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greetings Costas,
Here is some more information on it:
A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, Second Edition 2nd Edition
by Walter Bauer (Author), F. Wilbur Gingrich (Author, Editor), William F. Arndt (Editor), Frederick W. Danker (Editor)
ISBN-13: 978-0226039329
ISBN-10: 0226039323
"A digest of the basic lexical information on New Testament words contained in Bauer/Arndt/Gingrich/Danker, "A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, " Dankers revision of the acclaimed "Shorter Lexicon" draws on insights from his years of interpretation and teaching. This revision shows his concern with the needs of beginning students as well as those of ministers and scholars, and it incorporates new research, new information, and analyses, rendering translations into contemporary English."

theWORD has the 3rd Edition which is an excellent resource that I use often.
However it was recommended to me by my professor to get the 2nd edition (also) because of some definition changes, I believe.
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and Exegesis Set
by Moisés Silva

It is kinda like TDNT but Newer
DarkiYahu

Post by DarkiYahu »

I would like to see something like the leiden peshitta - at least I have not found any good Aramaic old testament tools yet to do study in myWord.
I'm not sure what is out there - but we have Hebrew and Greek pretty much fixed in the program with HiSB and the ABP, it seems a good Aramaic module is missing?

https://www.logos.com/product/4642/the-leiden-peshitta

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/d ... tta+add-on
bicheichane

Post by bicheichane »

I would like to ask for the rest of the New International Commentary volumes!
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

NIV Exhaustive Bible Concordance.

It would be interesting to see whether and how its definitions differ from other lexicons, and to see those cases where a difference between translations results from a different choice of ancient manuscripts.