Tips & Software for creating, formatting, converting modules

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
Zentie

Re: Tips & Software for creating, formatting, converting mod

Post by Zentie »

Hi guys

I need some guidance, please.

A friend of mine did a translation into Afrikaans a few years ago. The Bible is available in printed format and he has also given me a pdf as well as a doc file. I'm hesitant to part with the doc file as I have promised him it won't leave my hands. However, I would like to create a ont file to use it with other Bibles.

I have already removed all unnecessary text, but can't get each verse separate. apart from deleting and entering each break more than 31000 times! :shock:

I've seen a tutorial of someone using Notepad++, but it doesn't seem to have the facility and I have no idea how to write a macro to do that.

I will appreciate if someone can suggest something not too time-consuming.

Blessings!
JG

Post by JG »

If you have a link to the doc file I will take a look.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

I have made only one ONT file, and it worked well, but I cannot remember how I did it. The nice part is that all of the verses were already separated, unlike your document, so it was just a question of formatting and converting. The instructions are here on the forum somewhere.

Whenever a text has embedded markers, such as tabs, for example, it is easier to separate things, as you can use the tab, for example, as a point of reference, and tell your program to add a return wherever it finds a tab, so that every verse would be on a separate line. (Of course, it is not common to find tabs at the end of a verse, but perhaps just after the verse number, in some cases.)

Some people even add a unique marker where feasible, such as @, in place of a tab, for example, so that they can remove the tabs for whatever reason, without losing the same point of reference for future formatting adjustments (e.g., search-and-replace @ with RETURN).

So, I would guess that, in your case, the only "marker" that you have to work with is the verse number at the head of each verse.

You can do a search-and-replace with some programs, that will identify any numeric character as distinct from the others, and then add a RETURN after that.

The problem is that you will have some single-digit verse numbers and some double-digit, which would confuse the process, separating one digit from the next, instead of keeping them together.

To make matters worse, I suppose that your translator friend chose to represent all of the numeric concepts within the Bible text with numbers instead of words, (e.g. "4,000 men went to war" vs. "four thousand men went to war") which was previously not considered good style, but is now commonplace. This would make it practically impossible to do any search-and-replace operation using numeric characters as a point of reference.

If your friend composed the entire text in "paragraph style," rather than separating the verses, the challenge would be even greater.

If JG can't do it, nobody can.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
Zentie

Post by Zentie »

Hi guys

Thanks very much for your helpfulness.

The link will show two files; the one marked "original" is what I got from John, my friend. The other one with a 3 in the name is one I've messed around with, doing search and replace in various ways (even backwards, to outsmart single and double digits) to get rid of chapter numbers.

The link is https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAAYZLoLq ... 5LN5T7nttA and the folder has editing rights.

Waiting in anticipation... :roll:

Much obliged.
JG

Post by JG »

In Microsoft Word you just need to use, use wildcards search and replace with
search = " ([0-9]{1,3} )" I only used the quotes to show the space at the start
replace = ^p\1

You then need to copy/paste the file to a UTF8 text file and make the extension .ont so that you can load the file into theWord to check the versification(add blank lines to the file so that you have a total over 31102 so that the file will load). I think it starts to require some blank lines at Matt 17:21 to start to get the alignment with KJV
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Zentie

Post by Zentie »

Thanks for that tip, Jon, I will certainly play around with that, even only out of curiosity!

Patrick Butler was so kind as to send me a .ont file from the .doc I posted in Dropbox. Thanks very much, now I can start using that module to compare with the others. :D
Jacob11

Re: Tips & Software for creating, formatting, converting modules

Post by Jacob11 »

How to hyperlink a module entry like dictionary or commentary in our user module??
JG

Re: Tips & Software for creating, formatting, converting modules

Post by JG »

Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software