Spell checking feature how to turn on?

Discuss the beta released of theWord. Submit bugs and ideas concerning the beta releases.
Jeff

Re: Spell checking feature how to turn on?

Post by Jeff »

paul1149 wrote:
Hi Jeff. Yes, that's me on that forum. MX is a really great OS, and that's a helpful forum. Glad to see several TW users there!

No luck here with the custom dictionary. If I add words manually from my LibreOffice dic, theWord will delete the file upon closing, even though I use CR + LF line endings and no UTF-8 BOM. If I keep the file blank and only add words through theWord interface, the words are added and the file is not deleted, but the words are still flagged as misspelled. I'm on a TW full install.
Hmm, I remember the first betas with spell checking my custom dictionary was apparently being deleted when I'd close/restart theWord. It's mentioned in the last two posts on this thread: http://forum.theword.net/viewtopic.php? ... 347#p38347 . It may be what I alluded to in my post on Jun 01, 18 above.

Unfortunately no fix is given, but it seems it was fixed in a subsequent beta, and/or Jon solved it in another thread. (It seems we may have had a few spell checking threads running more or less concurrently.)

Here's a thread saying we can now add to the custom dictionary in beta 1490 http://forum.theword.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7764, I don't know if Jon's post on Nov 08 may have any significance or not, but I think I did follow Jon's instructions, and I do have a hunspell.dll file in my Cache folder, so that may be something to check. In the same thread Costas added the hunspell file in the later betas, but you may have to unzip it and place it in your cache folder?

Or I may be way off track as I can't remember exactly what happened waaay back in 2018 :( , and when or why my custom dictionary started working. But I hope you can get it figured out. Please check for the hunspell.dll though.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
JG

Post by JG »

When theWord makes the customdct.txt file it is Windows returns(CRLF), UTF-16 LE, noBOM. Last word in file has CRLF. If you have copy paste to the file you could have mixed line endings. Your editor might be set to add a BOM at close.
Also make sure you are on the latest beta 1494 so we are all on the same setup.

You could post your custom dictionary file here and ones could try it.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Jeff wrote: It's mentioned in the last two posts on this thread: http://forum.theword.net/viewtopic.php? ... 347#p38347 .

Here's a thread saying we can now add to the custom dictionary in beta 1490 http://forum.theword.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7764
Thanks much for those links, Jeff. You stated the problem exactly and very concisely in the first one. I thought maybe the newer .dll from the second thread would solve the problem, as I only had the older, smaller .dll in the cache folder, but no, no change.
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

JG wrote:When theWord makes the customdct.txt file it is Windows returns(CRLF), UTF-16 LE, noBOM. Last word in file has CRLF. If you have copy paste to the file you could have mixed line endings. Your editor might be set to add a BOM at close.

You could post your custom dictionary file here and ones could try it.
Hi Jon,
I switched the custom dic back to the version in my personal user profile, which I checked is utf-16LE. It is set to use and convert to Windows CRLF, and it has an empty line at the end. It has no manual additions, only entries theWord created. Still, not working. Then I thought maybe my renaming the file to custom.dic.txt might be a problem, so I changed it to customdic.txt, but still not working.

I am attaching the current customdic.txt.

Thanks.

Not having success attaching the file here. It's now at https://mega.nz/#!r8hQXSZA!rbvHLAdBrdZN ... bxqieWAmAY
JG

Post by JG »

filename should be customdct.txt
not customdic.txt
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

JG wrote:filename should be customdct.txt
not customdic.txt
Perfect. Thanks so much, Jon and Jeff. Great to have a spellcheck in TW!
John45

Post by John45 »

Hi JG,
On 9/1/19 you said:
When theWord makes the customdct.txt file it is Windows returns(CRLF), UTF-16 LE, noBOM. Last word in file has CRLF. If you have copy paste to the file you could have mixed line endings. Your editor might be set to add a BOM at close.

I looked at the latest version of Notepad++ and it does not have UTF-16LE encoding. It only hase UTF-8LE BOM. What program do you suggest for doing this?
John
JG

Post by JG »

theWord will make the file, so just open and edit with Notepad++. I tried it just now and it worked ok.
If not try this free version.
https://www.editpadlite.com/download.html

I use the pro version and it is excellent once you have read the manual and configured to your requirements.
The lite version looks to have what you think you need.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
John45

Post by John45 »

Thanks for the response JG.

I have several questions. I like Notepad++ because I am used to it. However, you said to convert text files to UTF-16 LE and I can't find that in the program. I only find UTF-8 LE.

1. Is UTF-16 LE required?
2. I downloaded and installed EditPad Lite 8 and see that it has the UTF-16 LE converter. However, it looks like I need to copy my text into the box for it to get converted. Is this so?
3. Also, you said it was necessary to have CRLF at the end of the file. Does this mean ctrl-f?
4. Does this get added when the file is converted or do I need to do it manually?
5. And finally, how do I get other dictionary files to show up in theWord?

Thanks for all your help
John
JG

Post by JG »

I have several questions. I like Notepad++ because I am used to it. However, you said to convert text files to UTF-16 LE and I can't find that in the program. I only find UTF-8 LE.
1. Is UTF-16 LE required?
I assume it is required.

2. I downloaded and installed EditPad Lite 8 and see that it has the UTF-16 LE converter. However, it looks like I need to copy my text into the box for it to get converted. Is this so?
Just load the file to the program. Open the convert encoding menu. In the resulting window you will see before at the top and after at the bottom. If there are any issues they will display at the bottom part. Select encode radio button, and select the New encoding, press ok.
At the bottom of EPLite there is a status bar. Click on the box next to the current encoding to change the line ending style, and also to the right of the encoding to select without BOM, save file

3. Also, you said it was necessary to have CRLF at the end of the file. Does this mean ctrl-f?
it is the line ending which in this case is carriage return, linefeed. (Windows style)

4. Does this get added when the file is converted or do I need to do it manually?
Once it is set it should be the default when you hit return anytime.

If I recall, you put them in the appropriate path as shown in the Proofing tab. Not sure where they came from. I think I posted some to test with on the forum.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Geany is another option that supports UTF-16LE. It's what I use on Linux. There is a Windows (and Mac) version, though I only have Linux so I haven't tried it on those OSs.

https://www.geany.org/
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
John45

Post by John45 »

Jon,

Your responses to two of my questions were:

it is the line ending which in this case is carriage return, linefeed. (Windows style)

I have encountered this in MS Word explanations in the past. They call it a Manual Line Break. It is obtained by pressing shift-enter keys.

I enjoyed your use of "carriage return." I took a typing class in high school many years ago and have worked with typewriters a lot, so knew what you meant. I doubt if many people born in the last thirty years know what carriage return refers to but I enjoyed the reference. :-)

If I recall, you put them in the appropriate path as shown in the Proofing tab. Not sure where they came from. I think I posted some to test with on the forum.

I have set up a backup process to retain my settings and books that I have added to theWord. I tried putting the other dictionary files in C:\Users\...\AppData\roaming\The Word and discovered TW found them. This is the directory I back up, so that was a good thing.

Thanks again for your help.
John
JG

Post by JG »

It is just carried over into computing now. Same with "windows", "desktop", "folder", "file", "recycle bin", "paint", "mouse", "Apple Pencil", "tablet"(Moses was using these way back, and had two of them at one point).

On a serious note. These are the names used in Unicode, so young ones do use them.

CHAR Unicode Escape UNICODE NAME

\u240A SYMBOL FOR LINE FEED
\u240C SYMBOL FOR FORM FEED
\u240D SYMBOL FOR CARRIAGE RETURN
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
John45

Post by John45 »

Thanks for the info, Jon.

One is never to old to learn.
John
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Added a list of names to "customdct.txt", double checked Notepad2 for UTF-16 LE without BOM and Windows CR+LF and it appears to be correct, but does not seem to be working - "Zorobabel"returns "Probable", I would think it would return words starting with "Z". I changed the word to "Zerubbabel"and the red line disappeared. I checked "en_US.dic" and it does not contain "Zerubbabel" so I am assuming that "customdct.txt" is working, am I missing anything?
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
“For My yoke [is] easy and My burden is light.”