Copying Search Results

Discuss the beta released of theWord. Submit bugs and ideas concerning the beta releases.
Namunja

Copying Search Results

Post by Namunja »

I seem to be at a loss how to copy Search results
For instance I have done a search on G3042 in the Bible and got the results as follows (Res2)

Now I want to copy all these entries to a word processor but what I get is (Res1)

The Book and chapter does not show.

How do I copy so that the book and chapter shows?
Attachments
Res2.png
Res2.png (119.22 KiB) Viewed 5094 times
res1.png
res1.png (147.06 KiB) Viewed 5094 times
jonathangkoehn

Re: Copying Search Results

Post by jonathangkoehn »

You probably would need to change your settings in the Verse Copy Dialog to include book and chapter, etc. . .
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
Namunja

Post by Namunja »

Thanks

My Verse Copy Management settings appear ok. I don’t think it is the setting.

I have since found a way to do this, by using the “add all selected verses to list”, and then copying from the list. That way it is working ok. That’s why I suspect it is not the settings. Please confirm if it is working in your computer.

I think it is something Costas needs to look into. And while doing it, also consider adding a few more options in Book Search view. The only context menu there is “close this view”. Occasionally there might be need to copy some entries directly to a word processor, so such options like select, copy selected etc might be beneficial.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

On mine, I just adjust the verse dialog settings To include chapter, verse, etc. it keeps those settings for future use.

Perhaps there is something wrong in your config file?
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
JG

Post by JG »

This is correct that the verse dialog settings are being used for this... but.. only... step 4 of the dialog. :idea:
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Namunja

Post by Namunja »

Oh, I've got it. THANKS!
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

JG wrote:This is correct that the verse dialog settings are being used for this... but.. only... step 4 of the dialog. :idea:
Settings for each verse. I know I can set book and chapter info in step 4, but it attaches to each verse, not a single reference for a range. And I have been counseled that clipboard monitoring is a workaround but that seems awkward and clutters my screen.

This is my biggest problem with the otherwise excellent theWord.

What is the logic behind not automatically including the book and chapter information from copying from search results? It does not make any sense to me. I have several other Bibe programs and none of them behave this way. They all have a much more straightforward way of copying verses from functions such as search.

Thanks.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Have you suggested this as an added feature? (I'm sure you have I just don't remember.) I could see the benefit of having it after a group of consecutive verses.

When we are involved with something we tend to understand the why of limitations. Perhaps programming this additional feature would take time that just isn't presently available. As I've used theWord in my sermon/study preps I've seen how Costas has planned many things. I know there are things I may have done different but that does not make what Costas did wrong. He is quite good at what he does. Also he is quite helpful if one wants to help.

Costas like many of us has a life outside of the software he develops. I believe at times there have been requests to help with getting modules ready and other things. If we do this perhaps it would free up more time for Costas to work on theWord itself. It is cool to see so many that are already involved but more help is needed.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

There are times when I don't want the reference since I've already included it in my point or sub-point. I just want the text at this point. There may be other times but I can see what you are saying also.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

jonathangkoehn wrote:... I know there are things I may have done different but that does not make what Costas did wrong. He is quite good at what he does. Also he is quite helpful if one wants to help....
In re-reading some of my posts, I came across this -- which I did not originally read very carefully.

I did not mean to imply that Costas was wrong in his implementation of this functionality. I greatly admire Costas and his work in TW. TW is a wonderful and amazing piece of software I use every day. I thank God for Costas and his excellent work.

Sorry if I came across too strong.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Ah no this is more in reference to me not to you so sorry. However I do not even begin to scratch what Costas has done with theWord. I am deeply indebted to him for theWORD and in other ways as well.