book to book hyperlinks?

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
RevSteve

book to book hyperlinks?

Post by RevSteve »

I have tried to find a way to figure this out.
First, I am not referring to Strongs or Morph but hyperlinks in one book, referring to another book.
Mine would be 2 dictionaries but I suppose it wouldn't matter.
Not in TheWord Program...I know that works but that can only work one by one.
I have tried various variations on a common tag.
I am wondering what the tag would look like...while in a text editor.
I must be doing something wrong...when I am finished and click on hyperlink, it doesn't move to topic in other book.
Maybe the href to the other book isn't correct but I go by book ID.

I use the tooltip program to generate the dictionary...wonder if it is fouling up the hyperlink?
But the morph references work...I suppose the Strongs would too but I allow tooltip to generate the Strongs links.

I am trying to use the topic subject rather than the topic ID...since I would do this in mass and wouldn't know the topic IDs.

Someone who knows, either reply here or send me a pm with what the tag looks like.
I haven't found much discussion on the forum about this so just wondering.
RevSteve

Re: book to book hyperlinks?

Post by RevSteve »

Well, I finally got a few to work correctly, maybe I am on my way to figuring this out.
If not, I'll report back.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I believe a link should look roughly like this if it is a topic entry in another dictionary: See below for RTF hyperlinks for theWord modules.
This is in theWord dialog for hyperlinks
0. Select "manual enter the target of the link (advanced mode)" then go to section 3 "Target"
1. You are right about needing the dictionary id For example BDAG is nd6
2. The basic hyperlink topic form is: tw://dictionaryId?t=topic
This would bring up the λογος topic in BDAG

Code: Select all

tw://nd6?t=λογος

RTF if you want to put it directly into the RTF of the module itself.

{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://nd6?t=λογος"}{\fldrslt λογος}}
Here it is broken down.
{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://dictionary id?t=topic to look up"}{\fldrslt word the user hovers/clicks}}

Note: if the word is in unicode it must be converted to RTF first before it is put into the module (Only the data/content portion. Topics/subject must stay unicode. For example for λογος would be like \u###?\u###?\u###?\u###?\u###? # being various numbers etc. Even characters like ó would need converted to RTF.

I know you didn't ask on this RevSteve but for others interested.

The format is similar for morphology or strongs with a few important changes
Now idchanges to [morph] or [strong]
Also t= is removed
Morphology: tW manual dialog is:

tw://[morph]?N-NSF
and RTF

{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://[morph]?N-NSF"}{\fldrslt N-NSF}}
Strongs
: tW manual dialog is: "tw://[strong]?G12
and RTF

{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://[strong]?G12"}{\fldrslt G12}}
Also a hyperlink can link to another topic in the same module and that is.
Self: tW manual dialog is

tw://[self]?t=εις
and RTF

{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://[self]?t=εις"}{\fldrslt εις}}
Note: if the word is in unicode it must be converted to RTF first before it is put into the module (Only the data/content portion. Topics/subject must stay unicode. For example for λογος would be like \u###?\u###?\u###?\u###?\u###? # being various numbers etc. Even characters like ó would need converted to RTF.

Bible references are covered in theWord help
But briefly
tW manual dialog: One verse

tw://bible.*?id=2.3.4
(1st number book, 2nd number chapter, 3rd number verse)
multiple verses:

tw://bible.*?id=2.3.4-8
(Be careful not to go to too big of an expanse it can lag down theWord)
multiple books/chapters:

tw://bible.*?id=1.1.31-1.2.1
(Be careful not to go to too big of an expanse it can lag down theWord)

RTF

{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://bible.*?id=40.1.13"}{\fldrslt Mat 1:13}}
Links outside of theWORD
These must be clicked to display their content.
tW manual dialog:

http://www.laparola.net/greco/louwnida.php?sezmag=92
RTF

{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "http://www.laparola.net/greco/louwnida.php?sezmag=92"}{\fldrslt 92}}
(Note this is possible but may make your module grow in size)

Bookmarks
single book mark in the same module
tW manual

tw://[self]?t=οιδα#bkm1-
RTF

{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://[self]?t=οιδα#bkm1-"}{\fldrslt en}}
book mark span in the same module.

tw://[self]?t=οιδα#bkm2-bkm3
RTF

{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://[self]?t=οιδα#bkm2-bkm3"}{\fldrslt en}}

Hint: if you want to use the topic_id instead of topic then change ?t= to ?tid=
Please note not all RTF has been confirmed but it should roughly work this way.

If you need to do something else that you've figured out how to do in theWord hyperlink dialog but want to see it in RTF. Then do it in the dialog and convert the module to rtf using theWord->module properties->settings/actions->Actions->Convert module content to rtf...->Execute selected action... Then open up the file with an SQL editor and find that topic and look at the RTF contents.

To control popup behavior

Popup only when ctrl is pushed

tw://[self]?tid=290&popup=2#bkm1-
Never pop-up

tw://[self]?tid=290&popup=0#bkm1-
Pop-up when the mouse moves over the link (I think this responds to the default setting)

tw://[self]?tid=290#bkm1- 
OR

tw://[self]?tid=290&popup=1#bkm1-
(Perhaps this forces it to be pop-up on hover)
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

Thanks for that, I figured out last night that tooltip would work ok for the hyperlinks that are in English but it adds a bunch of code...including unicode to Greek, so it didn't work.
(I guess too that accents and diacritics might foul up a working hyperlink.)

I will try different things to see if I can get tooltip to write standard text for Greek topics...if not, I suppose I will have to learn some more SQL. ( I'll also write the rtf w/brackets with text editor and run it through tooltip and see what happens.)
I already can do various tasks with sql and some commands but I don't have enough knowledge yet to do a module from scratch.
Since I don't have anyone to help when I get stuck on something in sql, I have put off learning more about it.

Again, thanks bigtime for the information...I see you mentioned bookmarks right at the end, I have been curious about them.
I suppose they are mainly used for references back to the same (self) module.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Theoretically if you know the bookmark you could reference it from another module.
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

Concerning my original query, Latin word (English, etc) characters are easy, standard readable text will work.
I added hyperlinks to one of my Vulgate Dictionaries and linked them to "Charlton T. Lewis - A Latin Dictionary".
This worked out fairly easy except for that latin dictionary has some topics labeled 1, 2, etc. (sum1, sum2)

That breaks the hyperlinks for sure...along with the fact I have no idea where I got the Dictionary from or who made it.
It isn't over on wordmodules.

Really, I suppose it isn't that important since my dictionary has really good definitions...just not as extensive as that dictionary.

Concerning Greek words in hyperlinks...I had to find my own way of doing it....
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I'm looking into the Unicode characters so far this is what I've found
Visually this looks like this in theWord Book view
{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://nd6?t=λογος"}{\fldrslt λογος}}

The first portion is in a . . . (not sure yet) and the second protion is in RTF \u###
{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://nd6?t=\'ce\'bb\'ce\'bf\'ce\'b3\'ce\'bf\'cf\'82"}{\fldrslt \u955 \u959 \u947 \u959 \u962 }}

I'll see what I can find.

JG and one know on the first one??
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

Haha, yes.
I couldn't make rtf unicode work no matter what I did, not for greek...try unicode greek and see if you can make it work, I couldn't.
It took me awhile...I figured it out what would work but it isn't straight forward...
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

Back to my reply above concerning the Lewis - A Latin Dictionary,
I did a find/replace in the database to remove the titles with (numbers after them) xxx1, xxx2, etc.
Then combined the multiple same titles and combined their definitions.

Since my knowledge of sql isn't what it should be, right now I don't know about how well the results are
but there are some 21308 hyperlinks to that dictionary in my VulgNT dictionary.

Still though, it was fairly convoluted given my ignorance of sql.
I will say this though, I am close to being able to make a module from scratch in sql...that is after the work with text editors.
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

Found a formatting difference in my module so I got it to 21763 possible hyperlinks now.

This is pretty nice, I suppose hyperlinking across books never caught on...come to think of, I can't recall any, I may have some among the many modules I have...I can't remember all that though.
gungadout

Post by gungadout »

Request For Examples of Inter-Document Links

(At last I have the various documents properly and consistently formatted for inclusion into TheWord, including the original multitudinous random abbreviations of Scripture references. I think I’ve got the commentary mechanism down pat, too.)

I now have 3 (hopefully simple) requests to help me finalise my project.

1. I am confused about the “nd6” dictionary Id pertaining to the “BDAG” dictionary in the examples. If I have say, two dictionaries (e.g. Rhubarb and Cabbage), can they not be accessed directly by name? If a specially assigned Id is needed for each of my (actually many) dictionary documents, must I request each one individually?

2. & 3. General – If my documents contain visual place markers such as <Foreward> and <RH1> ….. <RH10> ----- <RH150>, and <Foreward> and <CA1> ….. <CA23> ----- <CA512>, the questions become:

2. How should the place markers be identified in each document as hyperlink targets (bookmarks?)? (Not all numbers may be sequentially present.) My documents would all be in RTF format. Example, please.*

3. What form would a hyperlink in my commentary take, to access one of those hyperlink targets? (I mean, form of Id etc,) An example confirming the use of a “native” document name (e.g. Rhubarb) if it can be done, would be appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

*I looked at a range of documentation in the past, and did some accidental “General book” testing using the “TheWord importer – ver. 1.0.22.74”. That testing seemed to indicate that each “dictionary” document had to be represented as a separate folder, and each hyperlink target as a separate file within that folder. (That seemed to be in direct contrast to other documentation I saw.) If that structural requirement is so, I can manipulate the file names to maintain required sequence.

FYI, I am not familiar with any form of SQL. My planned approach is to use RTF source documents.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance for help offered.
gungadout

Post by gungadout »

OK. I've just about given up, and I had such high hopes regarding TheWord.

Is it even possible to link from a commentary to a gbk or a dct?

I've tried around 50 mllion ways (slight exaggeration) to try to link a cmt with a gbk using the importer. I have no knowledge of SQL-type stuff, so the importer seems to be my logical option. I've even tried changing the resulting book file name form gbk to cmt, but I wasn't able to trick the program.

I've tried to obtain official file numbers to use, but the link does not work.

All I want to do is to be able to defne a link in a cmt that will automatically display the target page in the dictionary window once clicked on. Something like (in the cmt file): {\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://nd6?t=λογος"}{\fldrslt λογος}} (with λογος being replaced by something like P3) or {\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://[self]?t=εις"}{\fldrslt εις}} , where the target gbk/cmt name/id repaces the "self".

Is there a way of defining a link and a displayable target in a cmt file and a gbk/dct file respectively, that can be used with the importer?

I understand that possible responders may be incredibly busy with other life matters, but I was (and am) hoping that the solution can be quickly documented, or the inability of TheWord to handle such links to be clearly stated.

(FYI, circa 1998 there was a free Bible program (now defunct) that handled such linking superbly. Hence my growing disappointment with the current situation as I am experiencing it. I like TheWord, and would like to see its penetration increased by the facilities I am preparing for a specifically targeted, by significantly sized, "audience"/"market".)
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greetings,
I just saw this.
1.Yes links between resources are possible. Check out GrkAnLex in Add Titles for examples linking to MLSJ ans LSJ
2. Sorry I dont use importer. I use TotheWord.
3. Ids can be user made check out the sqlite of a module or look in theWord at a module's about area.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

If I remember I will try to post what the rtf code looks like for one of these links.
I see I already posted an example above.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I have forgotten. Where canI get TotheWord?