TheWord and Linux

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
NorrinRadd

Re: TheWord and Linux

Post by NorrinRadd »

Dude, seriously, it's totally inaudible.
joe

Post by joe »

Using Unbutu 13.10 ,it all works fine under wine
DarkiYahu

Post by DarkiYahu »

Hello there all of you, thanks for all of your inputs - I had some issue with getting it to run the whole screen besides the top bar so I found another way of doing it. I am by far not skilled in using Linux at all... But I got it working directly from my Windows install with all its settings!!! So neat! ;)

Being in the folder of the program this is what I write: wine explorer /desktop=word,1366x720 "theword.exe"
Works wonders :) Now of cause the settings 1366*720 is for my screen - you have to set those up for your own and try and test to find the ideal for you.

But, there are some minor issues here and there that would be nice to sort out. Let me take a screenshot and show you what I mean. The Greek letters pretty much is... not there :)

Anyone knows how to fix it? Do I need to install something to wine like greek letters or something?

Thanks
Attachments
This is mySword running in Crunchbang++ :)<br />Runs fine and have had no crash but there are some minor issues with the Greek.
This is mySword running in Crunchbang++ :)
Runs fine and have had no crash but there are some minor issues with the Greek.
Screenshot_2018-07-16_01-00-30.png (214.26 KiB) Viewed 6138 times
DarkiYahu

Post by DarkiYahu »

Seems my post is not here yet? Do it need to be confirmed or something?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

You are missing the Greek font Gentium (and I assume the Hebrew Cardo). These come with theWord itself. Try to load these in you wine environment.
Alternatively, go to File->Preferences->Bible textgs and see if you can choose other fonts for these translations.
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Yeah, strictly a font issue, and Costas hit it on the head. Put the necessary fonts in the Fonts folder in the Windows folder (My path is "/home/darrel/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts") and it will play perfectly. If you're running on PlayonLinux just modify the front of the path.

Darrel
DarkiYahu

Post by DarkiYahu »

I just use Wine I think it is.

Thanks so much for your responses - but could we keep it on child level here for me? :)

So the Fonts are found in the program some where and they need to be moved? If the fonts comes with theWord itself would it then not just get it from the program itself?

Ahh, in File->Preferences->Bible texts I can see Hebrew Cardo, which seems to work already by the way. I do have a minor issue but I'm not sure it has anything to do with the font in that one module. let me see...

ABP Greek modul which has the issue has no chosen font - maybe that is the reason for it. Let me put in Gentium

Wow... Thanks so much both of you it worked without even needing restart! :)
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-07-17_11-48-26.png
Screenshot_2018-07-17_11-48-26.png (263.66 KiB) Viewed 6124 times
Screenshot_2018-07-17_11-46-31.png
Screenshot_2018-07-17_11-46-31.png (266.12 KiB) Viewed 6124 times
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Hello!
One of the things I do is try different fonts to see which I like best. You can leave the font empty in which case it will use whatever your default is set to ("Files| Preferences | Fonts"), or you can try various ones. I play between Gentium, Tahoma and several others. For a straight Hebrew OT I almost always use Ezra Sil. For a straight Greek NT I almost always use SBL Greek. So play and have fun! You can't break anything. If you hit a point where it looks bad just go into preferences and clear the font field.

Darrel
JG

Post by JG »

Default Bible font if none is set in the module is controlled from the Tools -> Bible view options -> Fonts colors and styles
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Whoa Jon, ya got me on that one! I have forgotten - what is the difference between "File | Preferences | Fonts" and "Tools -> Bible view options -> Fonts colors and styles"? It's been a long time since I have looked at/used either so apparently I have missed some, huh?

Darrel
DarkiYahu

Post by DarkiYahu »

Iv always wondered about what people talks about in regards of fonts... I'm not that picky on that - maybe it will come at some point.

One example I did hear where the font was a problem was the Aramaic font used in Bibleworks compared to Accordance - where one is fat and the other is slim making it much easier to differentiate the words in Accordance. This is only hear say and not my own experience - I read a dialog on it form a forum somewhere.
Now of cause, if one does not read the Aramaic with Aramaic letters and just use the Hebrew which is also found in Bibleworks, then it does not really seem to be a problem. In any case I don't own either of the software and mostly use myWord - and it would be nice to see an Aramaic module with the whole bible for it with concordance like the HiSB or ABP moduls.

Thanks for the tips :)
DarkiYahu

Post by DarkiYahu »

So it seems...

"File | Preferences | Fonts" and "Tools -> Bible view options -> Fonts colors and styles"?

Okay, so my Bible view options is set to Tahoma and the Preference fonts in the Greek is by default set to none. But... If I change the Greek in the preference fonts to Gentium then as on the picture it does not really look so nice as some are bigger then the other. But at least it works and is usable.

Is there an issue with the Tahoma that is chosen in Bible view options that breaks in Linux with the Greek then? It seems all Bibles are effected if you changed the font here?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

if it works for you its fine
DarkiYahu

Post by DarkiYahu »

In regards of the forum it would be nice to have the Forum ask if you want to leave if you have written something and accidentally hit the back button on your mouse. I just got deleted my former post about this fix - so il make it short.

I toyed around with this issue yesterday as there was also other issues outside the Bible window. There are 3 places for choosing Fonts in this program, and one of them is the main place. This placed had Tahoma as main font which was the overall issue that it could not find it seems. Not knowing this I copied all my fonts from inside windows from the fonts folder over into theWord/Fonts - Turned follydows down and got into Linux and started up the program in Wine and it seemed to work.

So, finding out that it seemed the Tahoma font was the issue, I deleted anything in theWord/Fonts folder beside Tahoma font and tried it. It seemed to work not breaking the Greek - so I put the standard 4 fonts that came with the program inside theWord/Fonts folder with the Tahoma I got from the fonts folder from Windows7. The main place for fonts for theWord is found in Bible view options iv fixed a picture for that, with the Tahoma. Pic1

Then the Hebrew might not be the best script so now you need to go into another place for choosing fonts, individual for each Bible module. File, Preference and in Bible texts, il fix a screen shot for that. You find the Hebrew modules and find or write Cardo for font, individual for each of them. And there you go, you can also change the size here to suit you or change the order of your bibles by first clicking save order of text and using the arrows that is now visible. Pic2

I'm not so sure what the last banner of Fonts does - iv tried changing them but it does not seem like anything happens so iv just let them be on default.

But overall, it does not seem like one needs to toy around in Wine - just put the fonts needed into the Fonts folder in theWord and there you go. I'm not sure of Tahoma is not free to use? But if used in the program as a main font it would be nice to have it in there by default install so people don't run into the issue.
Attachments
Change font for each module individual. Pic2
Change font for each module individual. Pic2
Screenshot_2018-08-20_12-48-35.png (286.94 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
Main place for fonts - overall in the program. Pic1
Main place for fonts - overall in the program. Pic1
Screenshot_2018-08-20_12-41-22.png (185.34 KiB) Viewed 6041 times