Option to "Search these results"

Ideas and suggestions about new features
jaredaseltzer

Option to "Search these results"

Post by jaredaseltzer »

Here in this forum, there is an option to run a second search among only the results of a first search. It occurred to me that exactly such a feature is what I have needed countless times within theWord. Both for Bible searches, and for book searches, such a feature would really open up many doors to comparing multiple Bible versions and to narrowing down results for preparing a lesson. Thoughts?
kenfhill84083

Re: Option to "Search these results"

Post by kenfhill84083 »

+1 Wordsearch has this. It is one of the few advantages of WS searches.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

+1. That would be awesome.
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

jaredaseltzer,

This is actually a good idea. I am thinking more in terms of Greek texts (that is where I do most of my work) it would be very nice to be able to search inside of a search. Thanks for making the suggestion.
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
JG

Post by JG »

Please can someone post some examples of when/why this is needed.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

JG,

My thoughts are more in the more efficient less clutter area. Personally I have 21 Greek texts, 22 English texts, 7 Old Testament texts, and a few others. I have them ordered and is workable as they are. For me it is just one of those thoughts that pops in my mind when I am working through some of the more complex texts is all. For me it is certainly not a necessity but more of a nicety :)
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

JG wrote:Please can someone post some examples of when/why this is needed.
In thinking more about this, I realized that Wordsearch searches, where I found this functionality useful, are more klunky than TW searches, so it probably is less important to me in TW.

What would make searches more useful for me would be a dropdown to see and re-use previous searches. But I'll make that suggestion elsewhere so it does not hijack this thread.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

You can always add more conditions to your search expression in order to refine search results.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

To tag onto what Rubio said please check this out for some advance searching https://www.theword.net/manual/index.ht ... syntax.htm

There are some powerful searching abilities built into theWORD
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Something like this is possible in the search window:
Boolean search
λογο NOT (λογος OR λογους OR λογον OR λογου)
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jaredaseltzer

Post by jaredaseltzer »

JG wrote:Please can someone post some examples of when/why this is needed.
Such a feature would enable the user to change search options from one search to the next without resetting the search scope;
such search options as "whole words only", "Ignore case and diacritics", or changing Bible versions.

searchphrase1{options wholewordsonly=true ignorecaseanddiacritics=true versions=[NIV,KJV]} AND|OR|XOR searchprase2{options wholewordsonly=false ignorecaseanddiacritics=false versions=[NASB]}

Currently TheWord is not capable of running a single compound search with variable search options.

My real-world examples:
I'd like to be able to search an original text version (Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Latin) for one word, but then search those results in an specific English version.
I'd also like to be able to search the Hebrew for a particular phrase, but then search those result for certain diacritical nuances.

The Bigger Picture:
I understand that my real-world examples are not common or high-demand, but there would be an additional benefit. See, not everyone is a programmer at heart and thinks like one. Even though TheWord is "capable" of advanced searches that technically do not need this feature, many users are overwhelmed by long, complex search coding. It is not intuitive for most users. Being able to narrow down a search by searching within results (instead of using compound coding structures with Boolean operators or RegEx) makes the interface more amenable and user friendly.

So I have provided two examples of searches that TheWord currently cannot complete, and I have argued that it would add much more functionality for the (not necessarily programming-minded) end user.
After all, isn't that why the feature exists on the forum's search page?
jaredaseltzer

Post by jaredaseltzer »

It occurred to me that a fairly easy way to implement such a feature would be to save the results of a search as custom range. Is that possible?
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

What about if the search could be saved in a specialized verse list then search that?
jaredaseltzer

Post by jaredaseltzer »

I encountered another instance where this feature would have been ideal. I searched one version of the Greek Old Testament for a particular word, and then again in a different version of the Greek OT. The results were not identical--they were off by 4 hits. Shy of working through the nearly 80 results, I could have used this feature to speedily identify the differences.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Just checking - has there been any movement on these requests? Jonathan, these are similar to what I sent you regarding how BA searches.

Darrel