Strong's error in NET? (Tit. 1:12)

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
NorrinRadd

Strong's error in NET? (Tit. 1:12)

Post by NorrinRadd »

In addition to the John 1:11 one posted below, there may be one in Tit. 1:12. I believe the word "glutton" should link to G1064, "gaster," but in fact the NET treats "lazy glutton" as one word, and links both to G692, "argos."
JG

Re: Strong's error in NET? (Tit. 1:12)

Post by JG »

In the info of the module, they have mentioned phrase tagging. I suppose this is an example. They might have chosen not to tag all the words in this instance, or it could be a mistake to tag as a phrase there. You could contact Bible.org and ask them.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

I am told they have now fixed this error and the one in John 1, and are "pushing out" the fixed versions.
JG

Post by JG »

Great! We will see when the "pushing out" reaches us, and rebuild the module.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

Any news on this?
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

I've just found a couple more of these issues. :(

In Mark 1:8, the preposition "with" between "baptize" and "Spirit" has no Strong's number. It should be "en," G1722. This is relatively unimportant, except for the fact that in all the other cases -- Matt. 3:11, Luke 3:16, John 1:33, Acts 1:5 and 11:16, and even 1 Cor. 12:13 (where the word order is different), the preposition is linked to G1722.

Also, "gift" in Heb. 2:4 is not linked to a Strong's number. This IMO is a bit more important, since there it is a rarely used word (merismos, G3311), as opposed to the more common "charisma" and "dorea."

I will proceed to nag the NET people. :?
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Is this NET or NET2?
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

jonathangkoehn wrote:Is this NET or NET2?
Sorry for the delay in responding.

NET2.
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

Also I should clarify slightly: The "error" in Heb. 2:4 actually has to do with the fact that NET is not a word-for-word translation: The single word, "merismos," is rendered, "gifts... distributed," with the phrase, "of the Holy Spirit" separating the two words, and with the Strong's number linked only to "distributed." I discovered this before contacting the NET people about it.
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

JG wrote:In the info of the module, they have mentioned phrase tagging. I suppose this is an example. They might have chosen not to tag all the words in this instance, or it could be a mistake to tag as a phrase there. You could contact Bible.org and ask them.
I know most of the free English tagged and perhaps some other languages use the phrase tagging but I don't know about premium modules.
Most of the articles are not tagged and by necessity, helper verbs and the smoothing of translation by adding of words.

It is a lot more labor to tag each word so I can see why most modules are not individually tagged, that is bible translation modules.

It also appears to me that theWord 'anticipates', at least with hover over popups, displaying the next available tagged word if the word hovered over is not tagged but that may be only with my settings, not sure if there is a way to change that.
tabibito

Post by tabibito »

Da yup.

"gifts of the" is interpolated - it isn't in the Byzantine Majority nor the UBS5 texts.

πνευματος αγιου μερισμοις (distributions) κατα την αυτου θελησιν (Byzantine Majority) - allocations might be a better choice (see LSJ).
καὶ πνεύματος ἁγίου μερισμοῖς κατὰ τὴν αὐτοῦ θέλησιν; (UBS5)
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

This would be something I would bring up with NET2.
Also in regards to LSJ it is directed more toward classical greek than koine greek.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2