Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
jonathangkoehn

Good Raw Data for formatting to theWord

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Tyndale House STEPBible Data Repository
https://github.com/tyndale/STEPBible-Da ... eEJQBmbsnI
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
RevSteve

Re: Good Raw Data for formatting to theWord

Post by RevSteve »

I was looking at those some months back and did download some of them.
I was particularly interested in the Proper names files.

I wonder if there are more of those StepBible that could be used?
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

If you find out please let us know. Thanks sir
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

I will do so, anyway I can help, also if you are looking for anything particular, I can keep a lookout if I find anything.

At that time, when I was looking at the proper noun files, a question in my mind whether I could use it or not.
They do give permission to use but they had some proper names according to ESV and also comparison check with the NIV.
Now I didn't go far enough to see if the proper name renderings in the ESV and NIV are unique to their translations, but if they are then if I used it, would I be breaking copyright laws?

Anyway, I decided at that time to get proper names other ways and sure to be public domain.

I really didn't look at the hebrew and greek files there...just a very quick glance.
It did look interesting but at the time, I was trying to get out those dictionaries.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Ah makes sense. I personally was more interested in the Greek and Hebrew but one wants to maintain copyright info.
malayangbiblia

Post by malayangbiblia »

Can someone put G6100 - G9979 = Extra Greek from Apostolic Bible Project mainly for LXX words not found in NT (including Greek names that don't occur in the Hebrew) into a dictionary module please?

Link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tynda ... 0BY-NC.txt
Edmund
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

If it is not done by fall perhaps then I can look into it. Too busy this summer.
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

Edmund, tell me what you want..or expect.
I may could do a get-by till someone with more expertise can do a more professional one, like Jonathan.

I assume you want to use this dictionary with apb?
Do we have a map of the extra strong numbers available of the apb strongs numbering system?
If so, I may could try to make you something in the meantime.
Generally speaking, I shy away from text that has Hebrew characters in it.

Without a map, I don't see how I could get it done.
malayangbiblia

Post by malayangbiblia »

I've been working my own LXX Dictionary while tagging it with Strongs and Morph combined. I've done 400 (10%) of them so far using the built in TW book editor but its painfully slow. I'm fully aware that TW don't need Strong's/Lemma Tags to lookup a Greek word but my ultimate goal is to use it eventually in MySword app and in my Strong's/Morph coded OT Tagalog translation.

Thus, I'd like it in a way that looks like the official Strong's Dictionary by Thayer/BDB w/ total word hits.

I have no data about the ABP Strong's mapping.
Edmund
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

Let me ask you this, does apb have words different from say brenton or the commonly available LXX texts we have?
Even though I haven't studied the LXX much, I have noticed minor spelling differences--apb has compared to some of the others.
What I wouldn't know is if the apb has different Greek words compared to the others.
I am sure if anyone would know, you likely would since you are working with the texts.

I have a reason for asking this...the other texts really don't have any stipulations in regards to studying, copying, distributing, etc.
malayangbiblia

Post by malayangbiblia »

RevSteve wrote:Let me ask you this, does apb have words different from say brenton or the commonly available LXX texts we have?
Even though I haven't studied the LXX much, I have noticed minor spelling differences--apb has compared to some of the others.
What I wouldn't know is if the apb has different Greek words compared to the others.
I am sure if anyone would know, you likely would since you are working with the texts.

I have a reason for asking this...the other texts really don't have any stipulations in regards to studying, copying, distributing, etc.
Some of the ABP characteristics that I noticed so far:
1. ABP is based on the Critical LXX as compared with the (non-critical) LXX Brenton used in his translation which is still being used today within the Orthodox Church.
2. Some of ABP Strong's tagging needs correction. I don't have time to point them out in details.
3. It seems to me that the editors of the Critical LXX (Rahlfs) aligned it closely with the Masoretic Text where the traditional text departs from.

Do you have sources on "...the other texts..." ? Because I only have one, Brenton's.

There isn't a lot of sources for the study of the LXX but I recommend this interesting material for a crash course on LXX: https://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/ ... agint.html
and this one: https://www.youtube.com/user/PostApostolicChurch
Edmund
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

malayangbiblia wrote:
Do you have sources on "...the other texts..." ? Because I only have one, Brenton's.
No, my ignorance on this is showing for sure, I assumed since there were editors early AD that there would be different text editions.
I have downloaded the LXX from different places but have no idea...I suppose they are all Brenton.

I was also under the impression also that the morphological tags had errors from Pennsylvania...so it would not surprise me if both the apb and Brenton tagged text had some errors with the strong tags.
malayangbiblia

Post by malayangbiblia »

The ABP follows the official LXX found in theWord website and the ones in 3rd party download sites. Brenton's is different.
Edmund
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

Out of curiosity, which LXX text freely available in your opinion has the least morphological and strongs errors?

I have to admit though a few errors don't bother me but I can understand if doing the work you are doing, it is more of an issue.
malayangbiblia

Post by malayangbiblia »

RevSteve wrote:Out of curiosity, which LXX text freely available in your opinion has the least morphological and strongs errors?

I have to admit though a few errors don't bother me but I can understand if doing the work you are doing, it is more of an issue.
Well, there is no answer to this question because there is no more than one source of tagged LXX freely available as far as I know. But this is how I see it. TheWord ABP doesn't have morphology coded only Strong's and I don't try to mess with morphology tags except when there is nothing provided. The Analytical LXX from E-Sword imported to TW has complete morphology but no Strong's for words unique to the OT and I think is identical from the one from CCAT - Pennsylvania. Brenton's LXX version is not tagged at all and that's what I'm trying to do at the moment.
Edmund